1:72 Airfix Hawker Hurricane (New Tool)

1:72 Hurricane new tool from Airfix. 

A fun little build this, one area that needs attention is the is where the upper and lower fuselage fit together on the leading edge if the wing, there seems to be quite a step there. 

Anyway, painted with Vallejo Air and weathered with oil and pastels, decals fixed with Gunze setter and softer and matt coat of Newton and  Winsor. 

4276B149-B612-4E50-B8CB-4246781ACEFC_zps

94872890-74C6-4049-BDB6-7A487484FDA8_zps

F6070123-460C-458F-BC93-02620B1237CE_zps

• Like 45

A neat build, to be sure, although that black strue (?) antenna looks conspicuously out of scale.

The finish, though, has little to do with the look of BoB era fighter camo, the wing tip lanterns are overpainted (!) and those apparently de rigeur dark shadings over diverse joints are pure imagination with no parallel in reality.

Research and study of photos is the remedy… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Nice work there!

I fear that Airfix missed a trick by not bringing out a tin-wing Hurricane in short order, and now Arma Hobby has the market. Good for us, not so much for Hornby.

Still, the company is going to make a pretty penny from me, what with the new Hunters and Phantoms, plus the Buccaneer later this year.

• Like 1

Very cool, I'm building this one at the moment, I hope mine comes out as well as yours

• Like 1

Always a pleasure to see a great build of this nice little kit.

If you want a look at mine https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP11T9Igb8OhsCdECqwk1YFk8VtKd2buSopTwcakZ96Phunzd5YxhOvpMG2MiLDmg?key=VjV1Q3ZMRXhHN0FDQU9aWGdiT2xoVnNSWloyUXFB

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A neat build, to be sure, although that black strue (?) antenna looks conspicuously out of scale.

The finish, though, has little to do with the look of BoB era fighter camo, the wing tip lanterns are overpainted (!) and those apparently de rigeur dark shadings over diverse joints are pure imagination with no parallel in reality.

Research and study of photos is the remedy… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

Also the prop tips should be painted yellow.

Tips

All in all, a good effort. Construction and assembly look great. The canopy masking is quite well done. With a bit more effort on pre- or post-shading and overall colour selection, this could easily be a real winner.

I await your next build

Chris

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, Spitfire31 said:

...the wing tip lanterns are overpainted (!)

Yes, but would it look any more realistic if they were painted red and green? Or silver? In this scale I think that unless you're going to cut out a notch and put a bit of polished clear plastic in there you're better off just leaving them alone so as not to draw attention.

At least, that's my excuse! :lol:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, IanC said:

Yes, but would it look any more realistic if they were painted red and green? Or silver? In this scale I think that unless you're going to cut out a notch and put a bit of polished clear plastic in there you're better off just leaving them alone so as not to draw attention.

At least, that's my excuse! :lol:

I’ve done it on my build. It’s the first time that I’ve ever tried it. They came out rather nicely.

Tip4

Chris

On 3/7/2019 at 8:07 PM, dogsbody said:

This is the other wing tip.

Well this is maddening! I can’t post images from Flickr now!

Chris

Dude that looks great!

Usually dont bother with bother with them even though I know they are there, not huge into mega detail as i mainly build for me, but that really does look proper nice!

• Like 1

Clear inserts are nice for sure, and I'll certainly try it at some point. For now, being somewhat lazy, I just paint the lights silver and add a droplet of colour. 

• Like 1

The hardest part was finding some clear sprue that was large enough. I had to got through the stash and look at some of the older kits. I think for this I used sprue from an old Airfix PBY-5 Catalina.

Chris