Lightning T5, 56 Squadron

Redstaff

Now I've more or less finished the Meteor F8 in the 50s GB it's time to make a start here

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with the RAF trainer that was the ultimate last step in the budding fighter pilots journey

After learning their trade in the sweet handling Gnats, Hawks, Hunters etc. they got to experience the brute force of the Lightning

I'm sure there's a quote from a fresh pilot somewhere that said something like,   "I was in control right up to the moment I released the brakes" 😲

I'm following my theme of 56 squadron aircraft with a Sword T5, depending how I go with time I might do a T4 as well, but we'll see how I go

It also depends on how my first real attempt at NMF goes as well, as to whether I do another :) 

20190304_212314_resized20190304_212344_resized

• Like 12

• Redstaff changed the title to Lightning T5, 56 Squadron
28 minutes ago, Col. said:

Am I correct in thinking this is the 48th scale kit?

Hi Col.

Yes you are correct, 1/72nd scale now is a little bit fiddly and hard to see now age is creeping up on me (and probably a lot more of us born again modellers) 😂

1/48th is my preferred scale now, but compared to the meteor I have just done, the Lightning is huge 😮

I've always been a fan of the lightning as it appealed to me as it was built for a purpose, take off-deal with Russians-back in time for tea and crumpets :) 

Ian

• Haha 1

Haven't done an update for a while as progress is slow. This is the first time I've done a Sword kit and it's totally different to what I've been used to as there is so much more dry fitting and attaching a part then leaving it to set for a day due to the lack of positive points, then a little filling and sanding back. I'm learning a lot as we go and it's a nice kit, but as a short run kit it's obviously not in the same league as the Tamiya, Hasegawa,Airfix I am used to, but I'm enjoying it :) 

The intake assembly was challenging and the wings to fuselage need a little filler probably tomorrow when they are both solid.

The resin exhaust is a nice touch and looks the part and will fit in after the main paint is complete, so no masking needed :) 

20190312_105033_resized

20190312_105038_resized20190312_105111_resized

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Col. said:

You've certainly made great progress with this one between updates :lol: 

To be honest Col. it's not that complicated a kit, I think there's only about 19 parts to assemble it to where I am now, plus the 2 more for the exhaust :)

It just seems to have been, line something up dry assembled and add a few drops of glue, wait for that to dry, test fit again then glue properly and repeat for every step

It's quite a relaxed build though, not one you can rush :) 

Ian

• Like 1

First primer coat on this morning to check all the seams for gaps and rescribing of some panel lines that have been lost in filling and sanding back. (Hate this part)

Not as bad as I first thought, as the fit of this has been fairly challenging due to the lack of positive location points, but taking my time seems to have paid off :) 

Then once I'm happy on with the Vallejo gloss black primer for my learning curve of my first proper NMF 😲

20190316_091951_resized

• Like 3

Thanks Col.

It's covered quite well to be fair, it's Tamiya primer out of a rattle can, the finish is fairly smooth

From what I've read, NMF needs a really good smooth surface as there's nowhere to hide as it shows all the flaws

Need to fix the tail-planes before I black prime, might need to pin those as there is no real location to speak of, and metal finish does't like too much handling and messing about

Ian 

• Like 1

Good luck with the NMF Ian. I have had a go on a few models, but have never been completely satisfied with my efforts (which is probably due to poor preparation), so I look forward to watching the steps you adopt to achieve the finish you are looking for.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to be interested how it turns out as well as I've never tried a whole plane in 48th scale 🤔

I've looked at various vids and write ups and they make it look so easy, but I'm sure I can prove them wrong 🤣

Ian

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Glad it's a bank holiday weekend, as it means I can get a bit more done. It's been ages and time is marching on to the deadline 😲

I've decided to go with Vallejo metal colour after a few recommendations. I've gathered the various aluminium shades to mask off panels after an all over one coat to give some variations. I'm also doing an experiment and I masked a few bits after the grey primer and some white from the white avpin cover to see what variations it gives seeing as I'm new to NMF painting. I've primed it with vallejo black primer as that's supposed to give a depth to the NMF, we'll see 🤣

A quick polish with micromesh when the black has fully hardened and on with the ally 

20190504_180324_resized 20190504_180313_resized

• Like 5

Had a day wandering around a local classic car and craft show yesterday with the wife, so no modelling done, but lunch and a couple of beers took my mind off it ;)

Gave the black a quick micro mesh and then on with the overall base coat of Aluminium (Vallejo Metal color 77.701) and all I can say is wow, it covered so easily with one coat straight out of the bottle :) 

I'll leave it a couple of days to fully harden then mask off various panels for tonal variation, Duralumin, dark aluminium, dull aluminium and white aluminium. I've got some Chrome to try for the intake ring as well :) 

Ian

20190506_140559_resized

20190506_140604_resized

• Like 5

Well I masked a few bits off and tried a few different tones, the nose ring in Chrome looks ok, the panels by the exhausts in duraluminium look ok, but the spine  and leading edge of the tail plane in dark aluminium looks too dark I think 🤔 maybe mist a bit of aluminium over to knock it back a bit, or will a wash and decals tone it down a bit?

Need to mull it over a while, need to touch up the white a touch as well  

20190513_151942_001_resized 20190513_152001_resized

• Like 4

I've misted over the dark aluminium bits with aluminium (the main airframe colour) and it seems to have toned it down nicely 😁

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow as it was too late tonight by the time i finished. Hope to try and break the back of it over the weekend and get ready for the Frog gb 

Ian 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With work and life getting in the way, I've just realised I've got just over a week to get my bottom into gear if I'm going to beat the end of the build 😲

I've managed an hour tonight getting the undercarriage attached so I can touch up the paintwork, gloss it,finish the cockpit (including painting the seats), add all the decals, semi gloss coat it and add the aerials and pitot tube...........looks like there won't be any weapons (optional on a trainer anyway) nor FOD guards,  chocks and Houchin I got for it, maybe next lightning 

All this outstanding work plus the work that pays for the hobby and family commitments, it's going to be bl**dy close, but I'll give it a go 

Ian

• Like 3

Well that was an unexpected blow 🙄

Thought tonight I'd get the cockpit finished now she's sat on her undercarriage, finished painting the bang seats and then went to fit the top of the dash at the front, the one that sits on top of the instrument panel and under the front canopy, only to find it has disappeared without trace 😞

I know I'd painted it ages ago and it was ready to fit, it's too big for the carpet monster and I can only think it's been accidentally caught up and thrown away in a FOD PLOD of the workbench, you never know it might make me more careful and tidier in the future, then again I doubt it 🤣

I've put a wanted ad out in case anyone has used an aftermarket cockpit and has the original spare, if not I'll get an aftermarket cockpit and use that part, then use the rest of the set in a T4 that I will need to buy and build in the future using the kit part, so there is a way out, but unfortunately I can't see either solution getting here in time to let me finish the T5 before the GB cut off date of next weekend 🤬 

Ian

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear that Ian :(  Now you'll HAVE to buy another Lightning kit and some aftermarket goodies for it rather than waste this one.

• Like 1

Well that's it then

I've ordered a resin cockpit set and a T4 to use up the rest of the bits, but even if they arrive tomorrow I don't think I'm going to get finished before next weekends deadline 🙄

I'll post up the pics here and in the aircraft forum though for all to see, just not in the gallery when I do finish it 

Ian

• Like 1

Decision made now the resin cockpit set has arrived from Hannants

It is one of the best looking resin cockpits I've ever seen, so this is going to go with the T4 when it arrives and the Sword plastic one can go here on the T5 as I think it wouldn't do it justice without all of the fancy cockpit installed, so definitely not going to make the deadline now as the T4 is supposed to arrive tomorrow according to the tracking 

Ian

• Like 2
  • Sad 1