Caudron C.366 racer - Dujin/FSC 1/72 resin kit

Finally the model is completed.

For the step-by-step building process please go here:

As said before this kit is an effort of a group of friends to continue to make Dujin kits available to the modelers. It includes a very good set of photoetched parts and a nice decal sheet, all that highly commendable especially because Monsieur Dujin offered a vast line of very interesting types not found anywhere else, at a fair price.

That been said, the resin parts leave much to be desired and are plagued with pinholes and blemishes, and sometimes are slightly deformed (easily corrected carefully and gradually under hot water) that make for a not at all easy build. Some kits are better than others in that regard, since this is a cottage product, and occasionally you will get a nice one, or a dog, as I got here.

As said, photoetched parts and decals were splendid, but transparencies (you get a spare) were deficient and neither of my two samples matched well the fuselage contour (the canopy slid forward as one piece to allow access). 

This is definitely for the modeler that is after a certain type (and the line has plenty of beauties) and does not mind to work quite extensively and lengthily to obtain a good replica from those resin parts.

IMG_2561+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2562+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2563+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2564+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2565+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2540+%25281280x958%2529.jpg

IMG_2541+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2543+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2546+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2547+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2554+%25281280x957%2529.jpg

IMG_2555+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2556+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2557+%25281280x963%2529.jpg

IMG_2558+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2560+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_2553+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 28

Well it turned out pretty good Moa. What a purposeful looking beast it is too - landing the beast must have been by instinct. Amazing result from that collection of misshapen resin blobs!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

Ah- I only just discovered your WIP thread, & now you are done!

What a beauty, a little iridescent butterfly in your hand!

You catalogue the challenges of this kit, but what a reward for your efforts!  Congratulations.

• Thanks 1

Moa,

Another really neat model! It reminded me of the Rider R-4/Schoenfeldt "Firecracker" racer that was flown by several pilots in races, including later famed Lockheed test pilot Tony LeVier- looks like a Caudron knock-off! You can find all kinds of photos on the internet and there is also a 1:1  flying replica! Looks like something you would do. Lots of neat designs flown at that time that really pushed the envelope.

Mike

https://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/CrupiRay/10066.htm

• Thanks 1

Another little beauty Moa. Thank you for sharing and well done 👍.

I’m looking forward to reading the WIP.

I was, I still am, a huge fan of the late Mr. Dujin’s kits. For those that like something a little different, his range could not be beaten.

Yes, scratchbuilding was usually required and some would include air bubbles, but we all knew this when we bought them. One did not blunder into a Dujin kit by accident, expecting Tamigawa. These were labours of love, from the master kit builder to the modeller.

I recently bought a Dujin Potez 56 from Marc in Monaco. A lovely remake of the kit; I’m looking forward to it.

I had not noticed this little Caudron 366. Now I see yours; I must have one. Gorgeous 😍!

I can also recommend the current Dekno line of similar Golden Era little 1/72 racers; also quite gorgeous 😊.

:goodjob:

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Another little beauty Moa. Thank you for sharing and well done 👍.

I’m looking forward to reading the WIP.

I was, I still am, a huge fan of the late Mr. Dujin’s kits. For those that like something a little different, his range could not be beaten.

Yes, scratchbuilding was usually required and some would include air bubbles, but we all knew this when we bought them. One did not blunder into a Dujin kit by accident, expecting Tamigawa. These were labours of love, from the master kit builder to the modeller.

I recently bought a Dujin Potez 56 from Marc in Monaco. A lovely remake of the kit; I’m looking forward to it.

I had not noticed this little Caudron 366. Now I see yours; I must have one. Gorgeous 😍!

I can also recommend the current Dekno line of similar Golden Era little 1/72 racers; also quite gorgeous 😊.

:goodjob:

Best regards

TonyT

Hi Tony

Thanks for your kind words.

Although I agree heartily with the praise of M. Dujin and his wonderful range of attractive subjects, I am much less optimistic than you regarding the quality of the molds, which I find frankly disappointing,

I have built a few, and always found a large number of issues. I welcome challenge in model-making (you may have seen what I build), but I don't welcome frustration derived from what is clearly manufacturing kind of low standards.

I have seen the same kit by Dujin in an edible sample and alas, exactly the same kit, in a very unpalatable state. I know they are made by hand, and I know someone is putting love on them, but that doesn't unfortunately make them automatically great kits.

This, of course, is absolutely personal and others -like you- may find that they get along well with them. I love dearly their subjects, and the current re-editions with P.E. and (finally!) good decals are certainly an improvement.

I managed to complete the Dujin kits I started, but I am certainly not looking forward to build more, accounting for what I have experienced so far.

I remark once more that this is a personal opinion, but based on personal experience.

Regarding Dekno, I have been aware of the range since its troubled beginnings, nowadays they produce much better kits. As with Dujin, I love almost every subject they produce, pity those totally exaggerated panel lines, but they can be filled up I guess. I have no idea why some models are produced to replicate the drawing of a plane, rather than the plane itself, but I truly applaud Dekno's subject choices.

Cheers

• Like 1

Beautiful job! You now have me thinking of tracking the old Williams Brothers kit down.

Martian von Off To Evilbay 👽👽

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Beautiful job! You now have me thinking of tracking the old Williams Brothers kit down.

Martian von Off To Evilbay 👽👽

O Martian 👽 of the short wings and high speed:

1/32?

Even for a Martian (for whom we make allowances) that is descending to low on the scale, if you allow my petty pun.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

@greggles.w, I think it's about time we saw another floatplane from you :poke:

Hello Stuart! Oh how I would like to oblige!! Unfortunately I’ve nothing to offer but a trail of excuses - not least moving the family into new city / home / school over Christmas / New Year & coping with an unexpected broken foot in the family!

I’ve only just this week unpacked the first small tranche of modelling gear.  I’m keen to get going - not least because the longer I’m unable to build, the more I tend to compensate by buying more kits for the stash, which rapidly becomes unaffordable!!

Hope to report progress soon..

• Like 2

Well it may have been a beast to build but as usual you knocked it into shape very well indeed. For such a tiny model I am surprised that there were so many issues, but then as you write, limited run kits can sometimes have them. Beautifully photographed and a very informative build log.

P

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pheonix said:

Well it may have been a beast to build but as usual you knocked it into shape very well indeed. For such a tiny model I am surprised that there were so many issues, but then as you write, limited run kits can sometimes have them. Beautifully photographed and a very informative build log.

P

Very kind of you, P.

Deceiving little rascal, this one is.

😉