Heller EC-121/WV-2 WarningStar 1/72

I removed all of the masking

ozkLv3V7_o.jpgwith only the minor damage described above. This morning I repaired said damage, and installed the gear doors. Here is how it looks so far

F9Qjt2Dt_o.jpg

IHvudHCT_o.jpg

4mWO5aXB_o.jpg

Today will be for touch up and minor detail painting. Back when the decals are on. 

• Like 8

Shiny :)

3p3PH1Kw_o.jpg

Due to a stupid mistake while removing the masking it took an extra day to get it ready, but it now has it's first coat of gloss. One more coat tomorrow and then decals on Thursday. 

• Like 7

I was sitting at my computer and looked across the room at my work table and thought "that would make a great picture". :photo:

Thanks

• Like 1

Decals can make or break a project and these Caracal ones certainly did no harm and were a pleasure to work with:

zeXBHWD0_o.jpg

qtFDHL1i_o.jpg

FwGiZc4U_o.jpg

0siINgQ1_o.jpg

YZfQmeF8_o.jpg

dCjj6RnW_o.jpg

pXawfFMr_o.jpg

Sorry for the graininess of the pictures, but it is a dark rainy day here and this plane is so big I have to close down the aperture all the way to get the best depth of fields and get everything in focus. 

I hope to get it finished tomorrow, but it may not be until Saturday. Back then

• Like 11

She looks just...wow. Just wow. So so good. Congratulations. Now how about some wheels and props and maybe some windows!!!???!!! You're on the home stretch! I know how that feels! Take your time, and finish her well. You should be very proud of your build. Wow. Just wow. 👏

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Now how about some wheels and props and maybe some windows!!!???!!!

The props are on, they just needed some touch up of the red stripes. The wheels will go on tomorrow after it gets a final coat of Light Sheen. I don't want the tires to be shiny. The windows, that will be the final issue. The fuselage windows are all masked and not an issue. The rear cockpit windows are going to be a problem. I am afraid that in all the sanding I did on the nose that I encroached on they a bit. They will need to be polished back to clear and given a coat of future. We will see how things go tomorrow with them.

25 minutes ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

You should be very proud of your build.

Whenever someone asks what is my favorite model I always say "the one I just finished".  

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Sure went together quick,

3 weeks so far, a little above my average

5 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Do the Caracal decals need any clearcoating?

I think you could get away without one, but I want to dull the overall shine.

Yesterday I gave it a final coat of Alclad Light Sheen, attached the wheels and unmasked all the windows. I was expecting a problem with the rear cockpit window since I thought I might have sanded them away, but they turned out to be fine. Unfortunatley I was not expecting this

OCJmAhLk_o.jpgor at least not to this extent. So that set me back a day to do repairs.

0V29IRqv_o.jpgnot perfect but acceptable to me. 

So after 22 days and 67 picture it is now complete

Et7kUpdh_o.jpg

Thank you to everyone who watched, and offered suggestions and encouragement. I am sure it came out better for all of them then it would have if I had not done this WIP.

More pictures at the RFI at

• Like 4

Little bit of a dramatic finish around the windows.... 😧😱🤬🤯

And a good recovery! 

Great build of a superb aircraft. 

👍

There's no doubt, doing a WIP thread definitely has a positive impact on the build, and the builder. 

• Thanks 1

I've had that happen before. I tried a couple of times to remove the tape when the paint is still fresh(very carefully) but as you said, you put a final coat on it so you couldn't. i also tried to take a good knife and precut along the tape edge which sometimes works. At least the blue is a dark easy colour to fix, still an upset. Turned out real nice and clean, these were clean at one point in their lives. Thanks again for the engine set.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Turned out real nice and clean, these were clean at one point in their lives.

Except in rare cases I just can't bring myself to weather something I worked so hard on to make as perfect as I can

5 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Thanks again for the engine set.

Use them well, as my Mother used to say. I still have the tail surfaces, except the central fin, if anyone is interested in them.

12 minutes ago, hsr said:

Except in rare cases I just can't bring myself to weather something I worked so hard on to make as perfect as I can

Use them well, as my Mother used to say. I still have the tail surfaces, except the central fin, if anyone is interested in them.

Maybe I'll snag those to, unless someone else needs them. How do the kit parts compare? I don't mind cutting mine out.

1 hour ago, hsr said:

The kit parts aren't too bad. These are mainly if you want to lower the elevators.  

I'll pass on them. I'll likely leave them neutral. I think the control locks were put on in the cockpit.

• Thanks 1