Heller EC-121/WV-2 WarningStar 1/72

Nice work on the Willie Victor! I have one that I've gone back and forth over whether to finish it with the radomes (it's mainly built), or leave the radomes off and finish it as an RC-121 Batcat. Right now I'm going with the Batcat, especially since I've removed (knocked off) the already glued-on radomes. Who knows, the radomes may go back on at some point.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Decisions, decisions... If they are the kit radomes it's probably better to leave them off. If it's the Fisher ones I'd put them on

Thanks 

• Like 1

They are the kit radomes and I've just about repaired the scars where I knocked them off. And I do mean knocked them off. I've found that a short, sharp blow to a projecting piece of plastic can actually get it to break off more cleanly than trying to pry it off. I'll probably leave them off and go with the RC-121 Batcat. Pray for me regarding the camouflage scheme on that one, though! I agree with your going with the all-grey scheme on your Willie Victor - if I had gone with the WV-2, I probably would have opted for that. A one-colour scheme is so much easier when doing a large model like the Connie, and can still be a very striking scheme.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I just noticed that you have the decal sheet I have from Caracal - that's the only sheet I've ever seen that had the decals for the camouflaged Batcat.

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

A friend of mine's dad flew Batcats during the Vietnam War. He wasn't very sanguine about how effective the mission was.

PC, does he or your friend have any photographs? Sorry for the mini-hijack, hsr; back to your build!

Best Regards,

Jason

5 minutes ago, Learstang said:

PC, does he or your friend have any photographs? Sorry for the mini-hijack, hsr; back to your build!

Best Regards,

Jason

I've asked.

So I take it there are none. Not surprising consider the semi-secret nature of the 'Igloo White' missions, known only to top American military brass, Sir Douglas Haig, his wife, his pet tortoise Alan, and the rest of the English-speaking world.

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight correction.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Learstang said:

Sorry for the mini-hijack, hsr; back to your build!

No problem and speaking of which I woke up this morning refreshed and added some more bras bits. I them decided to simplify it a bit and declare victory and added the actual gear.

5Q6I5EvT_o.jpgBsDk2W9v_o.jpg

I used epoxy again for strength and while that is curing I am going to get lunch :eat:. When I get back I will reinforce with some super glue and see it it stands on its own legs. If it does it will be time for the first coat of primer. Back then 

• Like 2

A couple of comments on using the Plus wheel wells

• The brass is a bit too hard/thick so is very hard to bend. Don't even think about using it unless you have a metal bending tool
  • Install parts M23, M24 and M1/2 and the parts M22 braces into M21 before installing M21.
  • Super glue won't stick, except when you don't want it to.
  • The instructions, for lack of a better word, suck.
  • Take frequent breaks 
  • You can always add more bits later

Just my opinion YMMV

This is a major milestone in any build. I stands on its gear:yahoo:

pJNMhnVJ_o.jpg

I almost forgot to mask the windows so have to do that. I also might add a couple more bits to the gear, but I still hope for the first primer coat later today:yahoo:

• Like 7

Another milestone. I masked the windows, added a little more detail bits to the wheel wells, and added a bunch of small antennas, and have given it its first, of probably many, coat of primer

V0WpSJKr_o.jpgLq1XOizU_o.jpgWZEgNZz5_o.jpg

From here it gets boring, if it hasn't done so already, with several iterations of me sanding and repriming. So I will be back once I start adding some colors.

• Like 10

41 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What primer is it?

I use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer lacquer from a rattle can. I find it give a really smooth finish and is sticks like glue to the surface. The problem I have with it is that I don't have control with the spray can and if I am not careful I will get drips. They also sell it in bottles for spraying with an airbrush but I have never gotten as good a finish that way, 

3 hours ago, hsr said:

I use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer lacquer from a rattle can. I find it give a really smooth finish and is sticks like glue to the surface. The problem I have with it is that I don't have control with the spray can and if I am not careful I will get drips. They also sell it in bottles for spraying with an airbrush but I have never gotten as good a finish that way, 

ohh that stuff, have some. Stinks but works nice. This looks more satin than mine.

Drips???? Eeewww. Drips can be super super frustrating. I’ve found that spraying just a little at the time can all but elimate the drips. Give it a short spray pass, then wait a couple minutes, then go again...repeat until you get the desired coverage. Spraying from cans is pretty uncontrollable; most of the paint goes everywhere but on the model. Rule of thumb...you can aleays add paint, but you can’t take it off...without a new battle on your hands. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2019 at 2:16 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

This looks more satin than mine.

Only the first coat, but it never gets glossy, more of an egg shell

On 3/9/2019 at 8:22 AM, Challenger350Pilot said:

without a new battle on your hands. 

Been there done that.

They must have repainted that Connie, way to clean and shinny. Probably would just need an expensive overhaul to be airworthy again and an even more expensive license fee.