Anils Workbench #1 Revell 1/72 Kfir in progress

Anil just to say have you checked that the canopies will close with the seats. I have not built the Revell kit but l am building the Fujimi British Phantom and the Quickboost seats are taller which foul the canopies.

Robert

15 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Very nice cockpit Anil.

Ain't a patch on your efforts, Tom but a good representation what bog standard components and what us mere mortals can achieve ( with chemical enhancements)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cyanomethylate? Siennamillerated?  Dude wot you bangin' on abaht? Ugnh, I need some more Balls, eh Bells itsh Bells yer honour, I meant. Wow me carpets really shoft I fall face down into it ... zzzzz.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Would that be the ethanol or cyanoacrylate derived ...?

• Haha 3

A small update as much delicate de-seaming is in progress which is suitably too dull to watch. You need to drill a lot of 0.8mm holes for these wingy balance greebles. A perfect chance to use my Tamiya mini power drill, I think of @CedBeverytime I see it.

47361887801_4fda91a38b_b.jpg

• Like 5

A smallish update, put everything together and found small but annoying gaps at the wing/fuselage join:

46690099604_45380fa638_b.jpg

46690107294_8b32fa8f56_b.jpg

Mr Surfacer 500 wiped off with levelling thinner took care of that without harming the exquisite detail,

46691145104_59d0775d9f_b.jpg

Surprisingly these circles were out of register ( I checked the fuselage alignment and its spot on). Filled with CA and re-scribed,

46499153415_6c38ddd22d_b.jpg

Drove myself totally crazy making the insides of the intakes ( yes I know the camo should extend in by a scale foot or two). 

33537550708_fe9072eb08_b.jpg

A bit more filling and sanding than I expected but my first  big damn spook is coming together nicely.

• Like 7

That cockpit does look rather lovely, most impressive.

with chemical enhancements

I have an inkling as to what this might be, possibly beginning with a letter J. Am I close?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

That cockpit does look rather lovely, most impressive.

I have an inkling as to what this might be, possibly beginning with a letter J. Am I close?

Filthy stuff Jamesons, rubbish at diluting paint  or cleaning surfaces for priming. I've relegated it to mouthwash duties...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

More seam checking today but noticed a nasty  seam behind the "GIB"s seat. As per my EF2000a on bench 3, did some greebling to hide it.

47369017182_8ed020e8e5_b.jpg

More assembly tomorrow, a gazillion intakes and aerials to sort out, I'm itching for some  three colour SEA Camo airbrush action...

• Like 6

I’ve decided to put all my WIP threads on hold for a few reasons: Now the Brexit is looming, I am going to a take a few European art and culture trips while travel is relatively easy. I also need get my ATPL back up and running as I want do some commercial flying and miss it. My true passion, jazz guitar sadly has almost withered as it’s a very time intensive and live performance thing that I really need to spend more time which is currently going on modelling.

Lastly I have had a quite unsettling experience on this site and encountered some elements that I find deeply disturbing and very unhealthy.  I feel spending a lot more time in the real world with real people and away from the rather strange and often hostile space of the internet and some of the unhealthy individuals who inhabit it ,  can only be a good thing.

After all this is a hobby done to gain pleasure and relaxation and currently I’m find  it anything but.

I’m going to finish these current as well my backlog of paid for, builds then as and when I finish any interesting models, I’ll post them the RFI. Perhaps after a good break I may find this space healthier.

Many thanks for all the encouragement and advice, stay safe, .enjoy your modelling and hopefully see you all again.

Anil

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

And it's time to park this: I can't figure out whether this is a keeper or a seller so instead of dithering any more, its neatly packed away and the bench is ready for the next one in which I'll be trying out a neat way to do feathered edges without the hit and miss of blu tack and freehand just is too soft and diffused to be credible in 1/72.

• Like 1

And looky here, another sales piece based on a silly price I saw paid for a dreadfully built old Hasegawa  kit with torn decals and artexed paintwork. Kit is a repop of the old Italeri kit with a stunning decal sheet and can be done wheels up as is the current house style, without any grief. It was an impulse purchase as I put  it in my shopping cart and promptly  forgot about it then the seller sent me an abandoned cart email and offered it at £4.99 including delivery…I’ve paid more than that for a coffee  at LAX recently.

48307266246_75e05f0e4e_b.jpg

48307265866_80dc601f2b_b.jpg

48307265666_d9b209cfab_b.jpg

48307265251_77e8d32e11_b.jpg

48307379057_4e9167b8aa_b.jpg

I will be trying a much easier way to do feathered three colour camo and first job is to source a pilot. Before anyone chimes in with “ooh the  AMK is way better etc.”, already have some…

48307577036_bc3e70bba1_b.jpg

It’s not better, it's different, i.e. designed to be a three wheeled ground vehicle with opened canopy, large amounts of tiny bits and piles of optional munitions etc. for many, many hours of fiddling - currently not my thing but if it’s yours, AMKs enormous parts count should provide months of hermit solitude like to pore over. Man, looking at those bulging bags of parts actually gives me a headache...

My take on models is learning to build paint and decal them really, really well so as to capture the sense of the actual plane with some of its excitement. Spending  three months building a single 1/72, doing stuff like moving a missile fin 0.75 of a millimetre and adding the correct flux capacitor housing for a JG21 Oktoberfest Squadron plane is totally without any interest for me, planes fascinate me, rivets don’t.

Anyhoo, this needs to be  airborne next week as my ebay store is now empty after five built kits sold in 15 days... tsk tsk.

Toodle pip 

Anil

• Like 4

7 hours ago, azureglo said:

My take on models is learning to build paint and decal them really, really well so as to capture the sense of the actual plane with some of its excitement. Spending  three months building a single 1/72, doing stuff like moving a missile fin 0.75 of a millimetre and adding the correct flux capacitor housing for a JG21 Oktoberfest Squadron plane is totally without any interest for me, planes fascinate me, rivets don’t.

Well put. I'm inclined to agree with this philosopy every time I survey my stash, especially if I do the math compared to my abysmally low build rate.

Look forward to seeing both the Kfir and the Phantom proceed with haste ☺

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Well put. I'm inclined to agree with this philosopy every time I survey my stash, especially if I do the math compared to my abysmally low build rate.

Look forward to seeing both the Kfir and the Phantom proceed with haste ☺

You might be waiting some time for the Spook. Re: modelling its each to his own, one of my real world friends is Nigel Heath on this forum who super details 1/72 models over 50-60 page threads that I thoroughly enjoy but would never dream of doing.

My take is folk feel that they have to pre-shade, smear on silly amounts of chalk dust and eyeshadow, glue in lots of over scale etch, have the wheels down and canopy open. I reckon you can go your own way, all of those things leave me cold  and I don't want the same cookie cutter models that folk are trying to imitate the from mags. That said you won't win any prizes at shows, get many followers or likes but hey, there if you can't please everybody, might as well please yourself...This guy sure do:

http://nyx.meccahosting.com/~a0008aa9/alcladthoughts.htm

Now back to my pilot search...

Anil

• Like 1

Man I underestimated how much effort is involved in selling built models on fleabay: custom packaging, instructions , tracking, updating portals etc still five models sold in eight days for a yield of £201.75, not bad so that my excuse for being tardy with my build threads:

48317537352_4e4a7b9d13_b.jpg

Now to the Kfir, pilot test

48316980006_473a027e41_h.jpg

Nice chap seems 'armless enough🥁 All important flight test, oy Moyshe she flies already!!

48317111057_39a12d1d12_h.jpg

Pilot assembled, deseamed and pit ready for for paint. Y'know when you dry fit a kit and it just happens, and you think yeah this one is gonna be fun, well this Revellari is one of those, this is gonna be one sweet buld...now that , that is a thing, oy.

48317108817_1bff50e8e7_h.jpg

Anil

• Like 3