Anils Workbench #1 Revell 1/72 Kfir in progress

Index

Revell 1/72 Phantom F4F as F4E  on hold                         WIP

Revell 1/72 Kfir C.2                                                           WIP

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks the styrene bug has well and truly bit. just finished my Airfix Therapy Thread which yielded half a dozen or so passable efforts and I thought it was time to cast my net wider: I have a dedicated modelling and separate spraying space

rooma1.jpg&key=f57e73546f7d244b3d97ababd

So I thought, lets give each bench a thread and see which one produces the most/best/least laughable models. I also keep my mild OCD satisfied as everything is in a few places with a neat index with linkypoos to WIPs & RFIs. So onwards and lets build (or not)

Today  bench #1 looks like this:

33405179198_2c38b4abbc_b.jpg

The build list:

Revell 1/72 Phantom F4F as F4E   

• Like 11

Actually I was  going to build an Esci f-4e straight from the box, this was an ebay refund as I bought it for its wonderful decal sheet and the seller despite saying it was there merely sent a few bits of the US bird- I am truly baffled by this behavior, what part of the ebay get what you paid for guarantee don't they understand?

Any how on closer inspection, I saw these ghastly upper wing sink marks:

47228865372_12f1b94645_b.jpg

Now to fill those without obliterating and then re-instating all that gorgeous detail is more than I want to do right now.So I pulled out a  Revell F-4F (of which like many of us here, I have a "few")

47280844831_fd1f05f4ab_b.jpg

I reasoned that I could use the slatted elevators and TISEO pod from the Esci to make it look close enough, and one day make the ESCI as an F-4F with Revell elevators as the original vendor had "mislaid" those as well.

47219494852_b363a65832_b.jpg

46557738944_64e8f836bf_b.jpg

So, the Revell sprues, lovely crisp and delicate, a joy after the Airfix trenches.

46366332095_696927d50a_b.jpg

46366335955_0a8e8f096e_b.jpg

46557750334_4b76ec1541_b.jpg

I recently met someone who knew the late Dick (L) Ward from his Model Toys/Model Decal Pompey days and hauled this out of my stash after hearing of his near obsessive attention to detail, I fancy "Wrecking Crew" from this sheet plus only a few stencils woohoo!

40316662893_a35f3861e4_b.jpg

Then I found this, doh!

46366352445_66391d531c_b.jpg

No etch on this one, just these lovely Quickboost seats that I picked up at LSA Hove's closing sale, bought five sets for £5! 

46366354765_7b334cf417_b.jpg

This is going to be  in flight at a jaunty angle a la

46355749895_50271125fe_b.jpg&key=030249e

so I need to do some jiggery pokery with multiple magnets and perspex rods and a dry fitted airframe before any major work ( for yea verily, Anil drilleth not the bleeding great holes in his little darlings)

Well time to process and upload my last RFI from the Airfix thread so no modelling tonite, hopefully if @Nigel Heath makes with his Thai beef curry recipe, a wee trip to Sainsburys and its 

Nighty night peeps

Anil

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Very nice Anil, thoroughly professional set up. Though I think it will look a lot better when it's covered in bits of plastic... :poke: 

Given how many bits various modellers here lose during a build ( yes I'm looking at you @06/24), I thought the Homebase parts storage will be most useful for all the little fiddly bits as my own senior moments start manifesting. I am nervous  though about making any marks on  my shiny new A1 cutting mat though😱

• Haha 4

Ah, so we're ascribing my untidiness and stupidity to senior moments are we? I fear you may be correct! I've tried to be tidier during the V2 build and managed not to lose anything, so your set up looks like you should do well!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anil, how do you work among all that tidiness and order? I'm getting the jitters just thinking about it.

This is mine and now that my back is feeling a little better, I did a little cleanup yesterday.

47230617542_0ef02aef32_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 06/24 said:

Ah, so we're ascribing my untidiness and stupidity to senior moments are we? I fear you may be correct! I've tried to be tidier during the V2 build and managed not to lose anything, so your set up looks like you should do well!

Nah, you're only a nipper, you just need more storage...and maybe being a sad, lonely , childless weirdo like me who lives in a big house  with lots of space and no other people to move their stuff might help too🤣 

• Haha 5

I start off with good intentions on keeping the workspace neat and tidy, I do I do, but then it starts to get untidy. How do you do it Anil

Notice how bits of kit end up spread everywhere

KVUU7eU.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/4/2019 at 9:37 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Really looking forward to this Anil, Phantom in Nam camo scheme plus extra detailing. What's not to like (well perhaps  not those stencils :o).

Cheers Tom, I'm keeping a wary eye on your whirly build, seems you, Bill & Nigel have succumbed to the spinny round wings thing, as a dedicated fixed wing man who is genuinely terrified of helicopters  ( trust me that is after 16 hours training and I have an ATPL license with well our 3000 hours logged), I wince every time a see a helo, model or real so you three are unintentionally tormenting me , hence a big bad spook to keep me safe! PS the stencils have gone back in the drawer where they belong.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, dogsbody said:

Anil, how do you work among all that tidiness and order? I'm getting the jitters just thinking about it.

This is mine and now that my back is feeling a little better, I did a little cleanup yesterday.

47230617542_0ef02aef32_b.jpg

Chris

Hey Chris, great news on the back, now its getting lighter and warmer ( hopefully), looks like your Hurricane is going to get some love and the offspring, some public transport for a change...

• Like 3

On 3/4/2019 at 10:16 PM, colin said:

I start off with good intentions on keeping the workspace neat and tidy, I do I do, but then it starts to get untidy. How do you do it Anil

KVUU7eU.jpg

Easy, have three work benches, lots of storage  and industrial grade OCD...I'd add more but I have to go and check all the spoons in my cutlery drawer are lined up  correctly.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, perdu said:

(spinny round wing things indeed, how double dare he? Grrr... )

You try flying one the little buggers and then tell me ...

Many speak of the" Great Changing Of The Underwear When Anil flew a Robinson R22"  in hushed tones, blessed was the Local Marks & Spencer upon that fateful morning...

• Haha 6

So you don’t want me to start a Vietnam era Huey to give your Phantom something to fly top cover for?

PS those decals include a Bronco and Revell have just re-popped the Academy kit. Just sayin’...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

So you don’t want me to start a Vietnam era Huey to give your Phantom something to fly top cover for?

PS those decals include a Bronco and Revell have just re-popped the Academy kit. Just sayin’...

Noooo, a nice Mig 21 in Nguyễn Văn Cốc colors would be perfect to subdue my imperialist invader, BTW I bought the sheet after getting an Academy original of the Bronco last year, took one hysterical look at the multipart canopy and banished it to the loft, though still got a good  pile of Cessna O2s with dodgy ancient decals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

lovely Quickboost seats that I picked up at LSA Hove's closing sale, bought five sets for £5! 

That is a total bargain.

I have come up good with providing you with my spicy Thai beef recipe, I never fail to deliver on my promises. (As I'm sure you never doubted).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First job, will the thing balance?

Yes it will, found the CoG so time to make the super duper angled multi magnet azurestand- apologies to @Tomoshenko for the filthy and cluttered workbench, I'll tidy it tomorrow.

img

Unfortunately its right on top of these lovely speedbrakes (?) which I wanted to open so here's they looked before they get closed up...man that is some lovely toolmaking from 1997.

47291494891_7024944761_b.jpg

47239376452_17f515b282_b.jpg

So a bit of grinding and drilling ( a few cracks but hey, its a stand)

47292884351_4bfb72204c_b.jpg

47292886371_8246594fe3_b.jpg

Everything positioned up and drying with slow epoxy. I've primed the pit and found a few minor sink marks so tomorrow sees that hopefully done.  If you're wondering why I'm spending so much time on the stand, I want a fully armed 4 sparrow/4 sidewinder bird in full 'Nam camo banking to port, looking for tone and in a bad, bad mood...don't take my word for it,  as Col. Chuck DeBellevue, ( six time ace) so succinctly  puts it:

"The F-4 was the last plane that looked like it was made to kill somebody. It was a beast. It could go through a flock of birds and kick out barbeque from the back.”

http://airman.dodlive.mil/2017/02/21/f-4-flies-for-final-time/

Happy glue sniffing y'all

Anil

• Like 7

On 3/4/2019 at 11:28 PM, 06/24 said:

I never thought much of the Bronco until I saw one give a barnstorming display at East Fortune. Multi part canopy sounds scary though.

Canopies are still one one of my  "eww!" moments, having gone through GS Hypo, Pacer, Glue and glaze , Gators original, Roket odorless, 5 minute crystal epoxy and currently, UV cure clear resin, I still get a little stressed at canopy time; Hence the OV10 and their equally lovely Storch are on the long finger till I build a bit more confidence.  Painting, priming and filling are a no brainer these days so its nice to have another mountain to climb.

22 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

That is a total bargain.

I have come up good with providing you with my spicy Thai beef recipe, I never fail to deliver on my promises. (As I'm sure you never doubted).

It was bittersweet, picked up load of models at bargain basement prices including SH Whirlwinds for a fiver, a 1/32 Tam Tomcat & F-4E for £50 a piece , but what a great little shop: especially for armour guys. Jason also was a master modeller and I'm told he was the first to import Eduard into UK. That said, too much stock, ridiculous rent increases  ( after all it was Hove Actually) and not enough buyers of of stuff meant the inevitable.

From what I hear, he's happier than ever before doing consultancy for kit companies, occasionally doing commission builds and enjoying being part of  the Shoreham massive!

That bench is a disgrace mate, clean it up. However, I can cut you some slack for that, but not closing up that lovely air brake detail - off to the gun room with you with a large brandy and loaded revolver. No stop don't shoot!

You've redeemed yourself on account of: "I want a fully armed 4 sparrow/4 sidewinder bird in full 'Nam camo banking to port, looking for tone and in a bad, bad mood.."

That's the spirit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, this is the current state of my workbench:

P1010622_zpsmispzill.jpg

I actually consider that quite good for me - I do like to have all my tools and materials close to hand. I think of it as a very productive, creative environment although I do admire Anil's set up. We can but dream.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

OK back to work; First thing are those lovely cockpit panel decals. Well they're probably lovely for whatever kit they're supposed to go on, unfortunately  this is not that kit. The panels are wildly oversize, don't correlate to any of the raised panel detailing, throttles. Copious amounts of  Daco red then chopping them up and distributing them was the way forward.

46625243884_bb89432211_b.jpg

I still struggle with painting resin seats but as this is a closed canopy, they're good enough. Love the Eduard firing handles.

46433379015_5b9cc38469_b.jpg

47348405571_06d05a85ab_b.jpg

Revells take on the engines, no intake trunking so everything is painted black and these should show through quite nicely. Happiness is a vinyl cutter that knocks out the right sized masks in seconds...

47295768832_4f377a4302_b.jpg

So we're ready to zip everything up and start assembling but it's now time to start my herb planting and give my hideous Anigrand E581 some love.

• Like 8