Nostalgia Airfix BF 110 - 1/72

Hi all - some more progress so more to show... 

You might have noticed the large step at the front of the nacelles in my last post - I meant to mention them in my last post but forgot. Obviously they were a problem that needed addressing: you can see what I mean here: 

Sanding

Not sure why these don't line up as everything else does - It's a pretty big step even for Airfix... Anyway, I sanded down the section closer to the wing so they became flush... 

More sanding

I used a low grit sanding stick which ate through the plastic pretty fast - then followed up with progressively higher grades to smooth it out. 

The wheel bays then got some paint - sprayed Tamiya german grey again  followed with some dry brushed light grey... 

More sanding

These will get more some more attention later on... The wheel bays were plugged with blu-tac in preparation for priming... 

While I was spraying these, I ran a light coat over some of the seam lines to see how I did on those - they all looked pretty good with the exception of some 'ghost lines' seen below: 

More sanding

These were sanded down - I did some 'finishing' sanding / polishing around the rest of the airframe - then everything was cleaned down for the primer... 

Primer

I used Mr Color 1500 black thinned with Mr Color Leveling thinner 50/50 - this stuff is great - you have to spray it wet but it levels out beautifully - it doesn't half stink though so a mask is compulsory.  I took this shot after doing some touch up sanding in some spots - around the wing roots and nose cone. 

Primer

My riveting came through nicely :)

Primer

Primer

Seams are all looking pretty good... Airfix doesn't make it easy to get to this stage but that was expected. 

I'll be slapping some paint down very soon... 

Cheers

John

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Hi all - some more progress so more to show... 

You might have noticed the large step at the front of the nacelles in my last post - I meant to mention them in my last post but forgot. Obviously they were a problem that needed addressing: you can see what I mean here: 

Sanding

Not sure why these don't line up as everything else does - It's a pretty big step even for Airfix... Anyway, I sanded down the section closer to the wing so they became flush... 

More sanding

That was strange!

My nacelles had a much better fit!

P1030982_zpsbtcwgyuj.jpg

I must say you did a great job with all panel lines and riveting. It looks great, and mean!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Christer A said:

That was strange!

My nacelles had a much better fit!

Yours look bang on Christer - Like I said, I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything wrong in the construction - mine line up at the exhaust and at the top perfectly - I could have "bent" it slightly and got it to line up at the bottom but then there would have been a huge gap at the exhaust manifold  - Pretty sure my wings are as they're supposed to be too. I dunno... it's airfix. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Painting begins...!

Still trying to improve on my black basing, this time using a badger sotar to do the marbling effect - I was hoping the smaller nossle - 0.20mm - would make this job easier and less haphazard... I’ve found this airbrush to be a lot more precise than my usual passche talon. 

I mixed up some tamiya xf02 flat white thinned with tamiya lacquer thinner about 30/70 and got to sprayin. 

Painting part 1

I had slot less trouble this time round. The marbling was probably too centred between the panel lines but I wanted to see how this would work under the light blue - rlm 65. 

For that I made a mix of tamiya xf23 light blue and xf02 white 50/50 - this was then thinned down heavily with tamiya lacquer thinner with the retarder... misty coats where then sprayed on in light coats. 

Painting part 1

I probably put on too much paint but there’s plenty of variation - in hindsight I probably stayed too clear of the panel lines with my marbling - which over emphasized them. Plenty still to learn. By the way - just realsed that this photo is totally over exposed - I'll try and get another shot up soon. 

On the upper side I put down some flat aluminum around the wing roots - I’m going to try the hairspray technique for some chipping- nothing crazy but I’ve never been happy getting convincing wear in this area. I used tamiya lacquer flat aluminum for this which will hopefully make it abit tougher.

Painting part 1

This was followed with a coat of hairspray- some cheap actual hairspray so we’ll see how it well it works...

Painting will continue after I can get some masking done... 

Cheers

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
  • Like 10

Afternoon folks... I've had a few non productive few days - for those that don't know me, I live in Christchurch in New Zealand. Last Friday afternoon was quite eventful - I'm sure you're aware of what happened but suffice to say, myself and my family are all fine - just shocked that something so terrible could happen in our little town. It's all very surreal. We're all just heartbroken really. I know this forum isn't the place to discuss this kind of thing but it is kind of relevant to this build in it's own way.

When I was able to turn my hand to some model time over the weekend, I found myself feeling incredibly lucky that I have the ability to turn everything off and concentrate on this little 110. I've been obsessing on colour choices for the upper side camo so it's been nice to wrap myself up in that for a while and forget everything else - if even just for a hour here and an hour there.  This hobby is my savior in many ways.   I appreciate you guys for letting me share it with you :)

So I have some progress to show... not much but a little. The big job was masking off the freshly painted underside which took a lot longer than usual - getting the mask right on the nose especially was a bit of a challenge but got there in the end even if it's probably not perfect. The huge panel lines on the fuselage were also a factor - so I tried to burnish the tape right into the gaps as best I could. Don't know how effective it will be but we'll see. 

Painting part 2

Once this was done I could get to work on the upper side paint job which meant more marbling... 

Painting part 2

Tamiya XF 02 heavily thinned was sprayed again , this time making more of an effort to not make any patterns and trying to keep things as random as possible - however I did concentrate the white in certain areas - near the leading edges for example as these areas would experience a little more wear than the back sections of the wing. That was the idea in any case. I was pretty happy with my marbling here - the new airbrush really makes a difference and I think I'm getting more used to it now. So alot less splatter and spidering this time round. 

So then it was time to pull the trigger on what I was going to use to represent RLM 71 (Dunkelgrun) which is the lighter camo colour on this scheme- as I've said, I was obsessing on this. I use Tamiya acrylics for the most part and there seems to be alot of discussion out there as to which colours best represent this shade. (not least on this forum) So I wanted it to be semi accurate but also just get a pleasing colour to my own eye. In the end, I went with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF49 Khaki and XF 61 Dark Green. This was heavily thinned and sprayed in misty thin coats...  

Painting part 2

Painting part 2

Painting part 2

These photos were taken just after I finished spraying - the retarder always changes things during the curing process - it looks a lot lighter now that it's dried - I like the colour (I think) and I'll probably employ some post shading later on so I can bring in some more colour variations - so this isn't the final coat. I'll probably do this after I've put on the RLM 70 Schwartzgrun... The scheme is quite dark overall which I'm hoping will contrast nicely with the underside. I won't be going overboard with the light colours. 

So that's it for now - Thanks for checking in... :)

• Like 17

Glad to hear youre ok John. I visited Christchurch a few years ago and was struck by the calm and beauty of Hagley Park and the incredible resilience and welcoming nature of the people, rebuilding after the quake. It's a terrible thing to happen anywhere but it's been heartening from the other side of the world to see the typical kiwi response. 

The preshading looks great and colours spot on. looking forward to seeing the schwartzgrun go down,  will you add some more marbling once masked?

• Like 2

Looking wonderful KM. Your modelling skills are advancing in leaps and bounds. That 110 is shaping up to be a beautiful build and it's such a good looking aircraft.

Hope you're taking it easy, it'll take some time for Christchurch to heal after what happened on Friday. My sister was working only one or two streets over from the first attack and is a bit shaken up about it all.

Kia kaha to everyone back in Christchurch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all - have been working away on this so more some progress to show...

With the RLM 71 down, I masked up the upper side and laid down the RLM 70 - using uncut Tamiya XF 27 - Black Green... 

Pre

Then it was time for another marbling layer - instead of using pure white, as I usually do, I mixed in some XF 27 and a little cockpit green - XF 71 - just to bring in another tone... 

Painting part 3

After this had dried, I mixed up some heavily thinned XF 27 which went on top... 

Painting part 3

After the masking tape had been taken off... 

Painting part 3

So looking at this, it seems that I might have stopping spraying the RLM 70 a little too soon... in these photos it almost looks like a blue grey... I can assure you that it is green - just the light in the photos makes it look like that. It might be a little too light in any case... However, I'm planning to use some oil washes and filters which will change the overall colour and darken everything down. I've left everything the way it is because on my last few builds, the oil washes have obscured the subtle variations from the black basing. So here I'm going to the other extreme. I'm fully aware that this might not be a successful strategy - I am experimenting here and it's a leap of faith but my experience with oils leads me to think that it could get the desired result... On the other hand, it could end up looking quite weird but we'll see what happens.. :) I plan to use some dark green oil filters so I'm hoping this will blend everything together... as well as taking into account the clear coats which will also change the tones.  

So then it was time for some chipping... 

Chipping

Chipping

So I just concentrated the area where the pilots would have chipped the paintwork getting in and out of the cockpit. I used a combo of a tooth pick, hard bristle brush and sanding paper. It's not great but it is better than my previous chipping efforts - I just need to practice and develop this technique. Using the cheap as chips hair spray instead of Vallejos chipping medium worked well - the cheap hairspray produced a much better result and was easier to work with and apply. So it will be my 'go to' from now on. 

After this, I put on a clear coat - I use humbrol gloss varnish which is used straight form from the bottle and is pretty fool proof to apply with an airbrush. 

Decals

The larger decals went on last night - the decals are probably the best aspect of this kit. No issues at all really - though I did manage to chip the german cross on the fuselage with some sloppy cutting... my own fault. 

Decals

They recessed quite nicely not long after being applied. Not missing the tamiya decals at all :)

I'll get on with the stencil data next - there quite a few to go on so this will probably take a night or 2... After that, we'll see if my oil filters will have the desired effect... :)

Thanks for checking in... 

Cheers - John 

• Like 9

On 3/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, Kitchen Modeller said:

Next up - some riveting. I was looking forward to this as I had acquired a new tool - a Rosie the riveter which apparently are the bees knees. Some lines were drawn and some holes were made. 

So this tool is pretty cool. Best thing about it is that you can see with pinpoint accuracy where you’re working- my problem with trumpeters tool is that the cutter is hidden from view. The smaller wheel also means that’s it’s much easier to rivet in straight lines - which is impossible with trumpeters version with out using a hard edge as a guide. 

Started 110

So you can see here I got a half decent result. Easily my best rivet job to date. Only issue is that the rivets are a little too close together- I have the .50mm version which I thought would be best for 1:72 but I think a bigger gap would work better. I now have to order the bigger size. For this  however, I’ll sand it down abit - I think it will still look okay. Makes an improvement to the over all look I think. 

Dunno about the bees knees, the R The R is just a watch pounce wheel in a fancy holder- note the rectangular "rivets". I use the RB productions etched ones which are much finer, have multiple interchangeable sizes and even a tool for corners. I'd look at them first before shelling out for a 25 cent watch spare in  a $20 dollar wood handle.

46698718944_fec11987a7_b.jpg&key=6cec8a1

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Dunno about the bees knees, the R The R is just a watch pounce wheel in a fancy holder- note the rectangular "rivets". I use the RB productions etched ones which are much finer, have multiple interchangeable sizes and even a tool for corners. I'd look at them first before shelling out for a 25 cent watch spare in  a $20 dollar wood handle.

Well I did say "apparently" lol :)

Compared the the trumpeter tool which I was using, the rosie the riveter tool is way better - I did indeed look at getting the RB productions tool but it was out of stock just about everywhere I looked - as was the rosie tool but one came up so I bought it. I've since been able to order the RB productions tool so it's on it's way. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm your assertions very soon :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Well I did say "apparently" lol :)

Compared the the trumpeter tool which I was using, the rosie the riveter tool is way better - I did indeed look at getting the RB productions tool but it was out of stock just about everywhere I looked - as was the rosie tool but one came up so I bought it. I've since been able to order the RB productions tool so it's on it's way. Hopefully I'll be able to confirm your assertions very soon :) 

And go say hi to Radu and his delightful wife at Telford this year. BTW you also want his glue tips, nano and pico saws and oh, a whole load of stuff. My current fave is a photo etched set square  with 1 mm rivet holes-utterly indepsinesable right now,  for an impulse purchase...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

After the masking tape had been taken off... 

It’s very impressive, John! It’s so artistic and have no idea how you’re having such a great ideas. 👍

Cheers! 😎

• Like 1

Hi all - the washes went down last night... 

After I'd completed the decal process, another clear coat of gloss went on to seal in the buggers. Once that was dry I started on the oil sludge washes... 

For the upper side, I mixed up some olive green and some black (mostly green) which was applied like so: 

Washes

This was dried off with the wife's hairdryer - must get myself a cheap hairdryer for these things... It was all then wiped off with dry paper towels and cotton buds. Same process for the under side - this time using a mix of black, white and blue - I had to use Ultra blue as it was the only blue I had - note to self - get more oil colours. 

Washes

Again this was all wiped off in the same manner as before... however, I did leave the underside wash on a little longer than usual which meant it was alot harder to budge - some thinner on the paper towels helped move it nicely. 

After a lot of wiping, cleaning and elbow grease I was left with this: 

WashesWashesWashes

WashesWashes

The oil works as a panel wash and filter at the same time - tweaking the colour tones of the overall scheme - the model is quite shiny at the moment - due the oils on top of a gloss coat so it was difficult to photograph but hopefully you get the idea. Obviously I'm going for a very worn look here - it probably won't be to everyone's taste but I'm happy enough with it so far... I will tweak the colours further with some oil dot filters so hopefully that will get me closer to what I envisioned. This didn't quite come out the way I intended colour wise but I'm not too unhappy - I'm experimenting so things will go left field when you do that. I'm learning and enjoying this build so it's all good. 

Thanks for checking in... Comments are welcome..:) 

Cheers

John

• Like 12

Don't know how I missed this John, must be spending too much time mucking around in the floaty section of BM. 

Completely agree with your take on the hobby, although if my 7 year old boy keeps up like he has been I'll be making him re scribe the stalled 1/24th Spitfire...

Great experimenting, re working, riveting, painting, shading, chipping, and what's this, decals that do what they're supposed to do? Whatever next!

Can't comment on the colour shades (no idea at all on accuracy,but they look great) but you've nailed the process down. Splendid effect! Different airbrush suits your style?

As always, you've pushed your skill, developed new ones and are delivering a Cracking model!

And as has been said already, Kia Kaha to all in Christchurch, and NZ. Lived in Woolston and worked in the Tap Room on Oxford Terrace for a very happy 8 months many years ago.

Me te pōuri tino nui 

Geoff

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Can't comment on the colour shades (no idea at all on accuracy,but they look great) but you've nailed the process down. Splendid effect! Different airbrush suits your style?

Thanks Geoff - I am loving the new airbrush - smaller nozzle (0.2mm) which makes it so much easier to do close in work... Accuracy wise, I'm probably far off the mark on this one, especially regarding the colours. But it was an experiment - I wanted to see what would happen if I did alot less coverage on the painting stage letting the marbling come through alot more... I know now that this produces a good result for a very worn airframe but you need to tweak the colours to keep in mind what will show through in the end.  The only way to do this would be to test the colours on another model first... which is what I'll do next time.  As always, thanks for the kind words... 

34 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

And as has been said already, Kia Kaha to all in Christchurch, and NZ. Lived in Woolston and worked in the Tap Room on Oxford Terrace for a very happy 8 months many years ago.

Small world! I used to frequent the tap room when I first moved to chch in 2004 - chances are you served me a pint :) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Small world! I used to frequent the tap room when I first moved to chch in 2004 - chances are you served me a pint :) 

Worked there '03 to summer '04 then down to Queenstown, small world it is!

I miss the Montieths Summer Ale...:beer:

Edited by Bugle07
Spelling.
  • Like 2

lol - classic - sounds like you had a good OE - I was the same but kinda got stuck :) They still sell Summer Ale but a much better beer selection is available these days in NZ - craft beer bus hit with vengeance.  Good thing too as otherwise I would have had to move country again... only so much speights and DB a man can take :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

only so much speights and DB a man can take :) 

It could be worse KM, Lion Rouge anyone? :blink:

Might be before you got to NZ KM but there used to be an absolutely fantastic beer called Burton's Creamy Ale in the late 90s. You could only get it in pubs on tap, the stuff was nectar of the gods and shot off in popularity around the millennium. And then what did they do, stop making it. That was Lion if I remember correctly. I'd heard a rumour that they binned it because it was stripping a lot of pub sales from Guinness (which Lion had the licence for) even though it was an ale rather than a stout. It was a magic brew and sorely missed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Might be before you got to NZ KM but there used to be an absolutely fantastic beer called Burton's Creamy Ale in the late 90s.

That must have been before my time Smithy as I don't remember ever having that one - though the first couple of years in NZ are quite hazy:)  I've found that his happens to alot of NZ beers with the bigger breweries - usually to the ones I like:) Macs copper hop anyone..? I drank Montheiths Pilsner for years and they changed the recipe and it's manky now. Never liked the Guinness here either - only drink it when I'm back in Ireland... These days Moa beer - a craft beer from chch is my go to... Also stoke beer (the reborn nelson brewery) And Tuatara from Welly. Yes I am a beer snob. Emersons is also top notch. Not sure if you've had any of these Smithy as they all reasonably new - at least you have a list for the next time you're home:) 

You can actually get Tuatara here, it's marvellous stuff, although it costs a bomb (actually like all booze here!). I used to drink Monteiths Pils back in the day, nice drop too, sad to hear they've changed it. That was standard back home with a lot of food and drink, bring something out, it becomes popular and successful, so either change it so it's not as good or drop it!

Emersons is lovely stuff, I have a very big soft spot for their Bookbinder.

• Like 1