Nostalgia Airfix BF 110 - 1/72

21 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

only so much speights and DB a man can take :) 

About 3 pints...

Same as Smithy, sad to hear bout the Pils, the whole range was drinkable at the right time.

We ended up getting Kronenberg on tap in the gaff in Queenstown. Never a fan of it over here but was better than most at the time there.

Although the last 3 days before flying home are a complete blur... pretty sure the Kroni started that off.

Geoff

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Although the last 3 days before flying home are a complete blur... pretty sure the Kroni started that off.

Lol - I've been there - with Kroni too - it was one of the cheapy beers at the off licence when I lived in Dublin - so alot of it was drunk.

Moving back on to the build - I'm on to the last stages with this - which means dealing to the bits - undercarriage, canopy etc... I used a eduard marking set for the canopy - this did save time but it still took and age to do. This was sprayed a with a few coats with the RLM 71 mix: 

Exhaust

It came out okay but will need some touch ups... 

The exhaust nozzles have also been done... I had to paint this carefully as it was now attached to the model - I would normally paint this separately but was forced to install it due to the way the kit comes together. I brushed painted it aluminium using metal color from vellejo. This was followed by about 3 coats of model color rust - heavily thinned so it was more like a filter layer... This gave it a metallic rusty colour. Then I applied some rust coloured pigments from Mig - this was applied along with pigment binder... after which it looked like this: 

Exhaust

Apologies for the blury picture. First time trying this technique and it came out okay - I think next time I'll apply more rust paint to get more coverage as some metal colour is peeking through...

I brush painted the nose MG's with Tamiya gun metal: 

Exhaust

After this I put on the matt coat to the entire model to flatten everything down. I used testors lacquer matt cote from a spray can for this - my usual go to.  I lost the shine off the nose guns however (it was silly of me to paint them before the matt coat) so I'll be painting them up again... 

Painting the exhaust stains onto the wings was up next... 

Exhaust

For this I sprayed very thinned down Tamiya Buff - followed by very thinned down tamiya rubber black - and then followed this with another very thin layer of tamiya nato brown - not my best exhaust stain - I didn't mean for this to end up so heavy but it's passable. You can notice from the above photo that I scuffed up the markings as well - very thinned tamiya white carefully sprayed. 

Exhaust

Sprayed some of the rubber black on the exhausts also just to blacken them down a little. 

Exhaust

The under side was given the same staining treatment...

Exhaust

Finally, a shot with the canopy resting in place - you can see I have a bit of work to do with some touch ups on that glass. 

Exhaust

The cockpit details are surprising clear looking through the canopy - so glad I spent some time giving the pit some attention. 

Exhaust

So getting near the end... thanks for checking in...!

Cheers

John

• Like 16

Looking quite splendid there John, I've got this kit for this scheme but don't expect it to look as good as yours come the day. I've enjoyed reading about you & @Smithy & @Bugle07 discussing our craft beers, I'm a big fan of Stoke Pilsener & IPA but tried most of those other mentioned. I can't afford them very often but enjoy a treat from time to time. I struggle paying more for a 500 ml beer than a bottle of wine. :(  carry on now, I'm all eyes.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Time well spent on the canopy, looks the part! That last pic makes it look almost like a frame added onto the clear canopy.

Like the process on the exhausts, the result is very convincing. I'll give this method a go methinks, as I've not been convinced with some of my attempts.

Very impressive!

Geoff

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm a big fan of Stoke Pilsener & IPA but tried most of those other mentioned. I can't afford them very often but enjoy a treat from time to time. I struggle paying more for a 500 ml beer than a bottle of wine. :( 

Thanks for your kind words Steve - much appreciated. It's crazy that beer made down the road costs so much. Nelson should be the cheapest place in NZ to buy beer but instead it's one of the most expensive. Chch supermarkets usually have at least 1 decent craft beer on special - Stoke 6 packs are 12 bucks at the moment in most places which is more than reasonable. Beer prices in NZ are crazy all up - 11-12 bucks a pint in most pubs here - A pint in a city centre pub in Dublin is about 9 NZD - 5 euros... I dunno. Don't get me started on the price of fish :)

8 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Like the process on the exhausts, the result is very convincing. I'll give this method a go methinks, as I've not been convinced with some of my attempts.

You should give it a go - I'd advise getting some ready to use pigments as I tried this with the artists charcoals and it didn't work very well. The material needs to be very very fine. Vallejo and Mig make some really nice pigments for this kind of use. The technique is pretty easy to pull off. 

Edited by Kitchen Modeller
spelling
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Stoke 6 packs are 12 bucks at the moment in most places which is more than reasonable.

Which is why it gets drunk reasonably frequently, my go to is a German sounding lager which sells at about $15.00 a doz, ( which I refuse to identify least I have to go into hiding. :D ), not a great beer but imho, as palatable as the imported or brewed under licence euroslagers, ie Heinekin, Tuborg, Carlsberg Stella etc, none of which are great drinking to my mind but when I'm hot & they're cold, they work, I much prefer a nice hoppy Pils or IPA, a couple of the dry hopped Pils have gone down quite well. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Have a crack at home brewing Steve. My father got into that and was making seriously good beer after awhile. He actually got very good at it and at one stage had over 20 dozen big bottles under the house. His ales and stouts were better than what you can buy at the grog shop and it worked out to be a damn sight cheaper too.

Fantastic work on the 110 John, it really is looking amazing!

• Like 1

Evening all - I’m just about finished up on this old girl - just a question of sticking the last few bits on... 

The undercarriage was installed using regular ca glue. The struts went in nicely enough as they usually do with these airfix kits - as long as you don’t follow the instructions fit order. 

Finishing

I replaced the circular antenna with some wire that was twisted around a paintbrush. The kit version was way too thick - the wire is an improvement but would have preferred something thinner. I’ll have to try and source something that works at this scale.

The wheel bay doors then went on - this was quite tricky as you just need to hold them in place while the glue cures.  CA glue is the only way...

Finishing

The following night I got the canopy in place - this needed a fair amount of sanding to fix a nice flush fit. Wheels went on after that - and the props... 

Finishing

More or less done 😀.

All the talk about beer... I thought I deserved an award...

Finishing

Still a few little jobs to do - weather the undercarriage, attach the antenna mast and wire... a couple of touch ups here and there. I’ll post the final images on the RFI.

I’m pretty happy with how it came out. I like the colours and I’m glad I took a risk with the greens - even if it’s not that accurate- close enough maybe. It came out nicer than I was expecting to be honest - which is due to the kit. It’s not bad at all - nowhere near as accurate as other versions out there but still very nice.  And for the cost you can’t go wrong. I really enjoyed this build- tried some new techniques and learned heaps especially on the painting side. I definitely connected with my inner 7 year old on this trip. Just jumping into it with reckless abandon. 

Thanks to all who followed along with this.  As always I really appreciated your encouragement and support. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did😀

Cheers!

John

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I’m pretty happy with how it came out. I like the colours and I’m glad I took a risk with the greens - even if it’s not that accurate- close enough maybe. It came out nicer than I was expecting to be honest - which is due to the kit.

Excellent work, John! :like: You’re having a great skill.

Cheers! 😎

• Thanks 1

Bit late to the party but cracking looking build! Really enjoyed reading over the last couple of days. Your results speak for themselves. 

On the subject of beer, one of my faovurite recent discoveries was 'bloody ell' a blood orange IPA! Was very strong at 8.5% so they'd only serve you half from the tap :D This was in Folkestone UK though,. no idea if it's sold worldwide! 

• Thanks 1

This is great John, I've really enjoyed following along with the various new techniques you've tried, especially the shading, and particularly because you seem to be in step with my own trials and tribulations/triumphs! The photos above look fantastic, looking forward to seeing the RFI. 👍👍👍 

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind comments... :) As I've said, I'm quite happy with it - still not getting to the standard where I want to be but a step closer perhaps. Baby steps and all that.

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

Really great work again, what's the plan for the next one after this?

Thanks Smithy :) Next build is going to be another FW190 D9 - this time in 1/48... so looking forward to getting that started. It's my first jaunt into a bigger scale so hopefully the lessons learned in 1/72 will stand me well. I have a thing for luftwaffe paint schemes at the moment so I'm continuing in that thread...

7 hours ago, snappedbydan said:

On the subject of beer, one of my faovurite recent discoveries was 'bloody ell' a blood orange IPA! Was very strong at 8.5% so they'd only serve you half from the tap :D This was in Folkestone UK though,. no idea if it's sold worldwide!

Thanks Dan - that beer sounds amazing - I haven't seen that one but NZ doesn't get a huge selection of UK beers. I have to stay away from the really strong IPA's myself however... 2 pints and I'm destroyed 😜...

RFI is up here with some better pictures: 

• Like 4

Excellent finish mate. Really impressed with the new techniques, the inner 7 year olds done good!

Plug wire for the circular antenna? Or maybe some from inside an old electrical appliance? I'm finding I'm hoarding anything with potential for scratch building these days...

Over to the RFI I go :pilot:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I'm late to this party but that's a fantastic job, I'm building the trop version at the moment but to nothing like this accomplished standard. Wish I'd discovered your build sooner.