Australian International Airshow Avalon

Andwil

Some of my shots from scorching Saturday.

Roulettes new Pilatus PC 21

IMG_0067

F-35A, looks like a dinky toy on the ground but quite impressive in the air

IMG_4480IMG_0294IMG_0282IMG_0176

F-22 Raptor

IMG_4518IMG_0204IMG_0192IMG_0203

F/A-18 Hornets

IMG_0178IMG_0179IMG_0086

E-7A Wedgetail

IMG_0229

P-8 Poseidon

IMG_0251

Hercules

IMG_0265

Kawasaki C-2

IMG_0312

Hudson and Boomerang formation

IMG_0117

Cessna A-37

IMG_0145

Chinook

IMG_0226

ARH Tiger

IMG_0222

It wasn't all military, close formation aerobatics

IMG_0164

One for @Moa, the gorgeous, and very shiny Lockheed 12 Electra Junior

IMG_0113

and finally Temora's Spitfire XVI

IMG_4542

Cheers

AW (who now realises he should clean his sensor)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Lovely pics and some of the content taking part are so unique like the Hudson and Boomerang. 

Makes me wish I had longer over there having just got back from my NZ trip and three day stopover in Oz.   

Thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, Flemming said:

Great pics.

There is a lot of debate here in Denmark about the noiselevels of the F-35 which should be much louder than the F-16. Any views on that?

Flemming

Not having ever seen an F-16 I can’t comment on its noise level.  The F-35 was not any louder than the F/A-18 and certainly not as loud as the F-22.  What did strike me about the F-35 is how small it is.

AW

3 hours ago, Andwil said:

Not having ever seen an F-16 I can’t comment on its noise level.  The F-35 was not any louder than the F/A-18 and certainly not as loud as the F-22.  What did strike me about the F-35 is how small it is.

AW

I thought the F-35 was pretty loud but what struck me about it was how ugly it is!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Flemming said:

Great pics.

There is a lot of debate here in Denmark about the noiselevels of the F-35 which should be much louder than the F-16. Any views on that?

Flemming

The F35 is very loud and perhaps louder than the F16 but to me the F16 has a much higher pitched engine note which is almost a scream and can be really painful on the ears if you don't have defenders on. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2019 at 10:13, Latinbear said:

The F35 is very loud and perhaps louder than the F16 but to me the F16 has a much higher pitched engine note which is almost a scream and can be really painful on the ears if you don't have defenders on. 

I think the F-35 is very loud. The only one I've seen was at Farnborough a few years ago I reckon its much louder than the Harriers ever were when in the hover.

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I think the F-35 is very loud. The only one I've seen was at Farnborough a few years ago I reckon its much louder than the Harriers ever were when in the hover.

Agreed. Definitely louder in the hover. 

Having only seen one in the flesh, but following the same flight profile as the Tornado and Typhoon visitors to LBA, it is seemed to me a bit less noisy than a Tornado, but the engine noise is definitely different. Lower pitched and a bit of a howl. Slightly off topic, it is surprising how noisy Hawks are in the same approach. Cracking piccies by the way. 

• Thanks 1