Tamiya FW 190 D-9 Long nose

Hi all - seeing that it seems to be the year of the Focke Wulf, here is my latest version - Tamiya's FW 190 D9 in 1/72. This is the second time I've done this kit since my return  - basically the first attempt came out awful - I was still brush painting at that stage and my attempts at getting a mottled effect was a total fail. I really love this plane so I'm glad I was able to produce something a little more presentable at the second attempt. Still far from my lofty goals but a definite improvement. I've got the 1/48 version in the stash so it won't be long before I'm having yet another crack :)

This version was built pretty much OOB - I replaced the wing gun barrels with needles and added some mig rigging for the antennae wire. Wings and fuselage fell victim to my riveting tool. Painted with Tamiya Acrylics, weathered with oils and pigments. I went a bit crazy with the weathering on the drop tank - this was an experiment using the hair spray technique - but apparently very worn drop tanks were quite common especially late war. The pylon holding the tank probably shouldn't be weathered to the same level so this is my mistake. 

Fw 190d9Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Fw 190d9

Thanks for looking...! 

• Like 50

5 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Did you use the kit decals? If you did, did they put up a fight?

I did indeed - and yes, they didn't want to play ball :) If you look closely, you'll see that they are not aligned perfectly in places - so this time they went on but wouldn't stay put.  Lots of clear coats seem to fix the thickness issue and they look fine but as you know, not my favorite flavour of decals to work with... I'll try your hot water method next time. 

• Like 1

Try the hot water next time, I used it on the decals of my Tamiya 48th A6M2, and they sunk into the panel lines. Not much, but the detail is visible.

• Like 1

Very nice 190! Riveting!

The drop tank looks like it was fun! What did you use to scrape the paint off? Brush, tooth pick? 

Geoff 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bugle07 said:

The drop tank looks like it was fun! What did you use to scrape the paint off? Brush, tooth pick? 

I just used a paintbrush - first time using this technique so I went slow. I could have used a toothbrush but that would have taken too much off I think - paintbrush took too much off in any case... I was only going for a 'little bit' of rust but alot came off anyway - it was fun though!  

• Like 1

That looks really good. I couldn't be bothered to rivet a 1/72 model so hats off to you!

The colours look spot on too. Brilliant all round.

Ian

• Thanks 1

It seems that the 190 is the "to go kit" to get back on the horse, i did one and came out awful as you say! But this one is great! Killer colors and the soft weathering did the job great, super cool!

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, iggy86 said:

It seems that the 190 is the "to go kit" to get back on the horse, i did one and came out awful as you say! But this one is great! Killer colors and the soft weathering did the job great, super cool!

Thanks Iggy - it’s a nice kit and goes together well - the difficult part is the paint job...! I wasn’t 100% happy with this but it was better than the last effort.

• Like 1