Tamiya/Italeri 1/35 Crusader Mk III

This is the first tank I've completed, and I'm pretty happy with it.

OFBs3vr.jpg

cyUz9sj.jpg

QOcbjXu.jpg

G6eOG74.jpg

QAW031Y.jpg

^toe reveal

yR2teT4.jpg

aQ0rvL7.jpg

(I like this picture)

I had a go at the turret interior. The best reference I could be bothered to find was Nick's Inside the Hatch on the Crusader mk III, from this I learned that there is a number 19 wireless in the back of the turret which I attempted to scratch build. The rest of the contents is guesswork and what I thought looked nice.

There is also a second man next to the gun as the gunner, but you can't really see him.

FHAjDG6.jpg

LBtnj1H.jpg

QWwbIjj.jpg

Thanks for reading.

• Like 23

Considering that there was a debate elsewhere on this site about needing a new-tool Crusader in 1/35, it doesn't look half bad does it.  And if that's a first effort then very well done and carry on the good work.

There are some things you might do to improve the next model to the next level.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

There are some things you might do to improve the next model to the next level.

I'm always eager to improve my models. Do you have any tips on how I could make them better?

On 3/4/2019 at 2:48 AM, BlobMan said:

This is the first tank I've completed, and I'm pretty happy with it.

You should be very happy with it - lovely job, especially for a first tank!

Your post really struck a chord with me as my second tank was the very same kit, albeit in its Italeri guise. It made me smile when I saw your turret interior as I did exactly the same thing! The hatch is so huge that the lack of any turret interior is painfully obvious. I also scratch built a radio, stuck a few bits and bobs in there and build a (very) rudimentary turret basket - I'm not even sure the Crusader had a turret basket but it blocked out the view of the bare interior!

I bought and built my Italeri boxing just before the Taniya version appeared so I was kicking myself as Tamiya have fixed some of things that were wrong - like the incorrect front fenders which I had to mod myself. They've also included a much better crew. For such an old kit it makes into a superb model with a bit of fettling and I agree with Das Abteilung when he says it's arguable a new one is needed. All I did, apart from fix the fenders, was to use a metal barrel for the main gun and replace all the moulded handles, and the headlight guards and auxilliary fuel tank pipe, with wire which lifted the model a fair bit I feel.

You ask how you can improve? Well, I'm no guru so not sure I can offer too much but if you can take anything from my efforts with this kit then here are a couple of pics,

Crusader-III.jpg

Crusader-III-finished.jpg

Crusader-III-radio.jpg

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your next tank!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, StephenMG said:

You should be very happy with it - lovely job, especially for a first tank!

Why thank you.

I'm not even sure the Crusader had a turret basket but it blocked out the view of the bare interior!

Yea it did, yours looks pretty close to what it looks like in the real thing, the real one has mesh between the turret floor and ring.

I was going to do one but I couldn't figure out how to get it to fit into the hull and still be an accurate size.

Crusader-III-radio.jpg

Wow your radio looks miles better than mine.

I'm also now internally kicking myself for not painting that handle on the gun.

Nice work on your first tank. Despite the fact that this is basically an old moulding, It's still a very good kit, and with some work, it can produce a fine model.

John.

• Thanks 1

A fantastic 'First Ever' Blobman.

You've just reminded me that I too built this kit, but in the late 70's and that was MY first ever tank as well!

I don't think there are MANY tips anyone can give you 'to improve the look' of yours, unless you want to get into the dirty world of chipping, dust, rust, mud and general 'crud'. Personally, I'd take that a step at a time.

Something I used to do was to swap theatres of war in order to practice new techniques - so my 'muddy Crusader was quickly followed by a dusty, rust-bucket Grant in North Africa.

BTW, I see 'Jim' has swapped tanks YET AGAIN! I know he used to command a Churchill MkVII amongst others.

I look forward to seeing your next AFV.

Reaguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1