1/72 Fujimi KV-107II-4 JGSDF

Whirly

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Is that the box of another KV-107 I see peeking out from underneath your JGSDF one?

Thank you all for the welcoming words 👍

MM, you have very good eyes: I didn't even notice I was showing my secret intents 😎

If time permits I'd like to build also a Labrador in delivery colours (white/blue/dayglo) with the Belcher Bits decals, but I'm quite cautious going from past experience...

• Like 1

A Labrador in the original red, white and blue would make a very nice (and colourful) addition to the GB but you concentrate on your KV-107 first, I know only too well how easy it is to get caught up in a GB and start multiple builds and not finish them, says the man also contemplating a second build!

• Like 1

I finally managed to start with a bit of assembling.

The cockpit is quite well furnished but the collective levers seem quite overlong, will remedy that later.

Also will try to make somthing for the pedals, they are quite prominent from the cabin windows and the kit ones are very approximate.

P_20190310_164531

more done behind the cockpit. I plan on painting everythig dark gray and adding only the canvas seats that can be seen through the windows, no open doors.

P_20190310_172413

The front seats are toylike, I removed the "sides" and will replace them with stretched sprue.

P_20190310_164506

The side sponsons assembled quite well, unlike the external tanks that will need much more work.

P_20190310_182105

• Like 6

Also will try to make something for the pedals, they are quite prominent from the cabin windows and the kit ones are very approximate.

Agreed, the kit parts on this are very basic, almost anything you do will be an improvement.

I think we've all removed the side parts from the front seats.

The side webs on the seats of most kits do seem to be a bit on the over emphasised side but there is definitely a small web feature there:

ch-46e_hmm-764_088_of_110.jpg

And no bar / struts as far as I can make out.

Exactly the same image I based on, you preceeded me MM!

That posted by Nigel is from a US Sea Knight which I believe has armoured seats, there are many details to pay attention to with the Kawasaki built machines: they are far more similar to the civil V-107 than to their american military counterpart.

• Like 2

Some more progress: I opened up the rear transmission cooling intake since there was a nasty join to hide anyway. Will see if and how to fill the resulting hole, more refining with needle files when the fuselage will be assembled.

Anyone has a close image of what's inside the tail pylon? I found a few but all from a good distance...

P_20190313_231840

Added a plasticard bridge between the two cockpit bulkheads so the pilots won't loose their shoes in the hole 😁

P_20190313_232142

Then I installed the front door and the side windows with Revell Contacta glue to have a strong joint without risking damages to the clear parts.

I initially wondered why the upper door was transparent seeing no mention of it in the instructions, then I noticed that US CH-46s has it, another compromise due to the multi-option kit.

P_20190313_231812

I returned on the pilots seats because I don't like the deep groove around their edges, but the first attempt with Perfect Plastic Putty was not a great success, will see with a second application.

Obviously I should have done it BEFORE applying the side rods....

P_20190313_231947

• Like 4

Very good progress.

I thought about filling the groove around the seat but decided to leave it, your seats will look much better than mine!

It took me a while to find the upper part of the door too as the clear sprue is the last place I would have thought it was hidden.

I know what you mean about the insides of the rear pylon, very busy. there is a resin detail set in 1/48 but nothing in 1/72.

• Like 1

Thank you MM!

Yesterday I had some free time at the bench and tackled the rudder pedals. The worst part was shaping the pedals themselves (and it shows) but the overall effect is satisfying to my eyes.

P_20190317_184354

I put together this "representation" of what's inside the rear pylon, after all it won't be exposed with open doors: just a big sprue and some copper and tin wire to give the right impression. 

P_20190317_192430

• Like 6

Those rudder pedals look superb!

Fantastic work and they do look just like the real thing, the interior of the rear pylon you have built up looks very good too and is a great representation of the real thing from pictures I have seen, I wish I had your patience to try this in 1/72 scale.

Also will try to make something for the pedals, they are quite prominent from the cabin windows and the kit ones are very approximate.

I have to agree about shaping those rudder pedals, I have been giving it much thought and frankly haven't come up with much. Yours do look very good.

Thank you all for your positive comments!

No, I hadn't forgotten this build, I was deeply pondering on how to represent realistically the red canvas seating, since I had come to a stall with another helicopter for the same problem.

This time I am experimenting with fine tape and much, much patience...

P_20190326_194418

I gave a light coat of future to keep togheter all the webs (too light...) and after much cursing I came to be ready for paint.

You see, Flex-i-file has multiple uses 😎

P_20190326_213749

In the meantime I also painted the main cabin and cockpit, different grays since I don't want the rear space to be much visible.

P_20190323_115700

Zync chromate yellow went in the rear pylon as per photos, the internals will be installed only after joining the fuselages.

P_20190323_115720

• Like 4

You are too kind!

Some more progress: all painted dark red and installed, I had some issues with the metal wire which didn't want to remain straight. No real issue since the cargo hold will be closed, but I have to keep it in mind for the next occasion.

P_20190327_194508

P_20190327_232505P_20190327_232600

And here a little weathering to the tail pilon details so they don't look too stark.

47432960482_ab03373a7f_b.jpg

Hope to complete the cockpit rapidly so as to finally close the fuselages.

Thanks for viewing!

Edited by Whirly
  • Like 5