Nieuport 17 - 1/32 Academy

Ted

Having finished my 1/48 Pfalz, I'm going to start this 1/32 Nieuport 17. I built one of these many years ago as Billy Bishop's airplane. This one will be George Guynemer as his markings are included in the kit. Although a little card of black thread is also included, I'll use ezline to rig it instead. There are only about 14 rigging and control cables to install so it will be a relatively easy one to finish. I'm currently rigging a Wingnut Wings SE5a and am overwhelmed so I do a few cables, then set it aside for a few months 🐢.

The cockpit interior is very basic. I'll add a couple details like a tachometer and some basic fuselage framing. I'll cover up my laziness with a pilot figure. I'll do a little bit of work to make it look more like Guynemer, like possibly remove the moustache.

Also, from a couple photos of the hero in this airplane, it looks like the centre section of the upper wing was not covered with linen but with a clear film. So I'll also cut out that section, build some framing and figure out what I can cover it with. Acetate? Cling wrap? I don't know, hopefully something flexible because I'm not set up to vacuform.

IMG_7488

• Like 2

I'll enjoy this @Ted.!! These 1/32 Academy kits are decent value, IMHO

I've got the new Copper State kit in the cupboard (fell for it at Telford and was really curious to see how it stacks up against WnW standards) so this might just give me the inspiration.. 👍 

Ps - love a pilot figure! 

W-D 

Edited by Wonky Donkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonky Donkey said:

I'll enjoy this @Ted.!! These 1/32 Academy kits are decent value, IMHO

I've got the new Copper State kit in the cupboard (fell for it at Telford and was really curious to see how it stacks up against WnW standards) so this might just give me the inspiration.. 👍 

Ps - love a pilot figure! 

W-D 

Thanks W-D, for $20 CAD delivered the Academy kit is a good deal, the moulding is great even if there are very few parts. I'd love to get the Copper State model someday, that kit looks really good.

Probably the biggest flaw with this one is the wing surfaces. I sanded them to make them look a bit more natural. They have strips to represent the framing that look too regular.

IMG_7491

Then I marked out the centre bit to cut out, drilled, carved and filed. The aft bit of wing broke when I cut out the piece but I think it will be ok.

IMG_7492IMG_7493

IMG_7494IMG_7495

Started adding the wing frame. I'll add rigging to each corner too. From these closeups it looks like there's a bit of cleanup to do.

IMG_7496IMG_7497

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Getting back to this model. I spent some time trying to scratchbuild a cockpit but gave up when I saw how little would be visible once George was seated.

IMG_7550

There were a couple holes in the tailplane that don't belong there so I plugged them. Also added a steel pin to the rudder because I'll add it after painting. It will also give me something to grip while I spray the rudder the blue, white, and red.

IMG_7551

I'll probably paint the wings and fuselage before assembling them because the fuselage will be aluminum and the wings will be camo above and linen below. I'm really liking this kit, it's basic but cleanly moulded and it fits together well.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ham Hands said:

I am keen to watch this build. An Academy nieuport will be my 1st rigging attempt.

👍

I think it will be easier than most biplanes for rigging. Academy has either holes or impressions for the location of the lines. I drilled out the impressions on the wings a bit deeper and larger diameter.

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I have an Eduard 1/48 Neiuport in my stash so will be watching for inspiration. (although I'm tempted to make is into a Siemens Shuckert DI, but I might get another N17 to do that)

That's a good idea, if I find a bargain kit I'll try to remember that option. 

That's a good idea, if I find a bargain kit I'll try to remember that option. 

I happen to have a very old Scale models with plans for said same and a very long time ago did this in 1/72. Just a new spinner and a few little tweaks but the end result looks very different.

Edited by Marklo

Thanks guys.

Got the wings and rudder painted and decalled. I used Tamiya acrylics and kit decals.

IMG_7560

IMG_7559

• Like 4

First blunder of the build. I tried masking to paint the skinny triangle on top of the fuselage but the masking tape pulled up the aluminum paint. So I repainted and tried the decal. But neither solvaset or microsol would soften it. They softened the paint though even through coats of future.

Now I'm thinking I'll sand down the top of the fuselage, prime with black vallejo primer, mask the triangle and paint aluminum over that. That's the plan anyway.

IMG_7562

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed up the mess on the fuselage by sanding it down, priming black, masking the triangle and respraying the aluminum. phew.

I used many coats of future ans dullcote but the transparent decal backing on the wing would not disappear. These Academy decals were a bit of a pain.

Got the wings on, I used some .005" clear plastic for the centre section. Next is the rigging.

t1NnxZcLjmha2wZTVdthAv-8U6YK0p5nFh-QXHx4

• Like 3

Finished the rigging and added the last few bits. I posted more shots in the RFI section. All in all I loved building this kit. Maybe I'll try one of Roden's new Nieuport kits.

The rigging is black EZ line glued into holes drilled in the model. I don't have the eyesight or magnifiers for turnbuckles. I do love seeing other people add that level of detail though. Maybe have to give it a try someday.

Can anyone tell me if Academy designed the molds for this one or if they are the old Hobbycraft molds?

ebkdITboCBKn50Hp-Cz632bSRRoRMJ4Kc13qdUHF

On 4/9/2019 at 2:09 PM, Marklo said:

I have an Eduard 1/48 Neiuport in my stash so will be watching for inspiration. (although I'm tempted to make is into a Siemens Shuckert DI, but I might get another N17 to do that)

I would hold your horses on the SSW Di Mark, there seems to be  contention as to  which of the nieuports the SSW  is actually based upon. Hopefully this will be resolved before long.

I would hold your horses on the SSW Di Mark, there seems to be  contention as to  which of the nieuports the SSW  is actually based upon. Hopefully this will be resolved before long.

It's early next year at least as I have many projects on the go at the moment. But I do have scale plans of the SS (courtesy of a very old Scale Models Magazine) SO I'll dig both out and see what for when the time comes. Could even scratch build the whole thing as it's a pretty simple shape.

Now I must admit I find Nieuports a bit confusing as sometimes the differences between designations can be an Engine and a few changes to the control surfaces (Granted some German manufacturers did the same as did some of the  British ones too) I much prefer it when a type is significantly different from it's stablemates.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1