Multi-colour "Japanese camo" Renault FT pictures

KRK4m

Some time ago there was a Renault FT (Hotchkiss MG, octagonal turret) #67408 exhibited at the Rethondes/Compiegne Armistice Museum entrance.

Featuring 5-colour "Japanese style" camo (grey, blue, green, sand and brown with black borders somewhere) it was probably one of the most picturesque WW1 FTs I've ever met.

I'd like to build a model of this very tank but the only photos in the web are frontal and port (left side) views. So my question is if anybody here has any pictures showing this specimen starboard (right) and rear views? I know the simplest way could be going to Compiegne and taking photos myself, but in the meantime the Musee has changed the exhibited tank and the new one (#00626) features more common 3-colour camouflage I'm not interested in 😪

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers

Michael 

Edited by KRK4m
new option appeared resulting in new Title

As no answer has appeared in 6 weeks (the Museum asked directly also hasn't answered) I have to increase the search scope...

I'm looking for ANY photos (or at least profiles) of 4-5 colour "Japanese style camouflage" Renault FT (octagonal turret, MG armed) used in 1917-18 period by any French (not US) unit.

Serial/tactical numbers as well as "card" insignia warmly welcome.

Any ideas, Gentlemen?

Cheers

Michael 

• 9 months later...

Finally I have received the pictures of the #67408 from Compiegne museum.

https://imodeler.com/2019/08/renault-tank-ft-7/

And now the question is what colours should I use for the French WWI four-colour "tiger scheme" of light sand, rusty brown, sage green and greyish blue with thin black stripes between them?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

The camo is a standard French pattern, although one more usually seen on St. Chamond and Schneider tanks.

I've got a five-view illustration of an FT in that camo style, probably based on the same museum vehicle, which may be of use to you.

28193323564_95c2ec757c_b.jpg

You can download the full size image here

For paints, AMMO do a French WWI set that has all these colours (apart from black). It shouldn't be too difficult to mix similar shades from Tamiya or other brands as an option.

Andy:cat:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure this will be a statement of the blindingly obvious, but leave the track units separate for painting.  Also note that the idlers and sprockets are shown in Andy's diagram in position immediately after painting.  The moment the vehicle moves they will not line up as shown.  On my FT and Schneider I used permanent lightfast artists' pens for the black patterns.

When Weald Foundation painstakingly restored their pair of FTs a couple of years ago they concluded that the track links were factory-finished in French Artillery Grey.  But neither of their tanks were built by Renault and there may have been factory variations.  Also the top and bottom rollers each contained 500ml of oil and had no oil seals, and so leaked a lot.

Don't get too wrapped round the axle about "correct" WW1 colours.  Truth is, no-one knows with any real accuracy.  There was no codification of colours and paints were batch-mixed from linseed oil, shellac and dry pigments for immediate use.  Canned manufactured paint did not exist.  So they undoubtedly varied from batch to batch and manufacturer to manufacturer.

Edited by Das Abteilung
Bad spelling!
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...