Hawker Hunter F.6 Airfix 1/48th

Finally calling this finished. 
Airfix's new Hunter, backdated to an early F6 without the wing dogtooth. XG292 'R' of 14 squadron, based at Ahlhorn, Germany, April 1958.  Model is based on a lovely pic of 4 new F6s breaking to land in Lindsay & Kipp's RAF Hunters in Germany book.

Extra detail added to the cockpit and the UC doors which are bizarrely blank, plus the ligh ton the back of the fin bullet has been added too, and the fuel jettison pipe at the lower rear. Other than that - this is a top notch kit that fits well and looks brilliant.
Painted with Gunze & Tamiya acrylics in the the little known "bloody big fingerprint on the wing" scheme :)  Final finish is Tamiya semi-gloss varnish to try and give a scale gloss sheen. The decals come mainly from the Freightdog F4 sheet - as this has the correct style squadron bars for the early style markings this F6 carried.  Roundels and stencilling from the kit, serials from spares. I took the liberty of using the Freightdog german language ejection triangles and hood release too - these were used on F4s and I could see no reason why the F6 wouldn't have carried them too ( famous last words).

All comments welcome as ever - and thanks for looking. Hope you like her.

Jonners

CSSJvXs.jpg

rySrKWG.jpg

0msDics.jpg

swVKTPU.jpg

WptqDY6.jpg

wRcofr6.jpg

U3EbXyp.jpg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Jonners.

Which paint did you use for the high speed silver underside?

James

Hi James- thank you!

HSS is Tamiya spray can AS-12 decanted into a jar and mixed with a bit of a medium grey ( I can't remember which) just to dull it a tad. Thinned a little with Gunze Mr Self Levelling thinners.
I've had this batch in a sealable jar for about 2years now. It settles, but always remixes and airbrushes beautifully.

cheers

Jonners

• Like 1

Stunning! So well painted and a great colour scheme. I didn't realise some F.6s had straight wing edges either, interesting. 

I've got the Italeri Hunter, not sure how that compares to the Airfix one but I'm just keeping an eye on ebay until I can get one for under £20!

A beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane Jonners! The earlier ones without the dogtooth were even prettier I think. You pretty much nailed the colours.

Cheers

Malcolm

46 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Brilliantly built, and a beautiful finish (although I think the underside is a little too clean - AOC's inspection perhaps?

Hope mine is half as good when I get round to it! Thanks for the pics.

Shhhhh. I wanted to do dirtier but reasoned they were newly delivered so pretty cleanish, plus I couldn't quite workout how to go "full dirty"

Cheers

Jonners

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It really is a nice model to build. A few little odd minor niggles, but nothing that cant be easily remedied.
My top tip - apply as many of the stencils as you can before your sanity starts to drift away. The Hunter is such a clean airframe that they really do help to remove the toy-like nature of the model.

10 hours ago, Lightning1968 said:

Absolutley fantastic model. A little beauty. Could i ask a quick question what make and colour blue did you use for the seatbelts. Thanks very much and once again excellent work.

Lightning- I used Citadel/Games workshop "Macregge blue" lightened with some of their "Ceramite white". The belts themselves are just doubled over Scotch 3434 tape ( which is actually blue too)
plus some wine bottle foil and scrap plastic card.

IvnsHiz.jpg?2

cheers 

Jonners

• Like 2

A fantastic model!

I haven’t looked in WIP yet, but did you dos work-in-progress, Jonners?

This is one of those (many, too many) kits I’d like to have and eventually build - you’ve made that worse!

Thanks for sharing this with us, though.

Jonny