TP52 - Canberra T.Mk.11

Hi guys.

I want to sho you some pics of my recent project, the EE Canberra T.Mk.11 from AMP. The kit is based on the S&M Models Canberra, AMP added some etched parts and two different noses for this version.

35197919yn.jpg

I will build one of the two possible swedish aircrafts.

35197936dx.jpg

35197935ij.jpg

Like most aircraft builds it starts with the cockpit. It´s niceley detailed and the seat from the box are okay too.

35198050bt.jpg

35198062kg.jpg

35198051ds.jpg

35198105ms.jpg

35198061oj.jpg

35198063re.jpg

35198092fs.jpg

35198108pd.jpg

The clear part fitts not very well, I think it´s my fault, dry fitting was not so bad.

35198114la.jpg

35198113jy.jpg

First nose test, I think i will build 8-02 with the round one and the dayglow markings at its fin.

35198126ts.jpg

35198124mo.jpg

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by _alfisti_
  • Like 15

Hello Daniel!

A very interesting subject. I used the Airfix 1/48 scale Canberra B.2 together with resin parts (and scratch built items) to build Tp52 "01" as she was in 1970. If you want "something special" then go for "01" as she was used for hair rising SIGINT missions over the Baltic. The second aircraft "02" was not used operationally but for testing. Both aircraft are on display in Sweden although not in their original paint.

There is one "odd" detail in the painting instructions: those orange painted areas. I've collected photos of these two Canberras and haven't seen anything that back up the orange. The radome and tail wooden area were painted with coffee brown in Sweden and then again with black and light gray. The rounded nose is actually "borrowed" from a SAAB J32 Lansen. Both aircraft had the T.11 nose when delivered.

Nice work so far. I will be watching🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Daniel,

you are welcome🙂  To my knowledge that visible red paint in the photo is a primer. It was used for metal interiors  of this airframe as well as for the wooden part of the fin. The only red part was the fuel dumping mast below the rear fuselage. There is no mention about Day-Glo painting in the technical logs either. Or at least such note hasn't surfaced yet.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

Hi Antti.

I also don´t think there was some dayglo on the airframe anylonger, seems to be more red.

If you look twice, there is also some red color around the cockpit, so it seems there were a red/orange markings on this airframe. Here is a better pic: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/52002

But it´s hard to say, because the Canberras are in really bad condition.

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by _alfisti_

A good healthy mix of interests Daniel! ;) I like this very much. I remember seeing the "round" nose version at the museum at Malmen/Linkoping a couple of years ago. That is a nice project :). Good luck!

DSC_7668A

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 4

Hi Martin,

thanks for your assessment, it´s interesting, most dayglo surfaces that I saw yet were weathered into a bright orange to yellow.

It´s good to get a confirmation for the painting instruction from AMP👍.

Today I managed to get the fuselage and the canopy sanded, only a little bit of putty and Mr.Surfacer were needed.

35206956ps.jpg

Next doubtful parts are the wheel wells, the instruction says flat black for TP52 and aluminium for the RAF variant.

35206957se.jpg

35206958wv.jpg

Daniel

27 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

thanks for your assessment, it´s interesting, most dayglo surfaces that I saw yet were weathered into a bright orange to yellow.

Hmmm... You may be right! My assessment was based on the fact that the Swedes generally used dayglo and not red. I wonder if John @canberra kid knows?

Martin

Hello Daniel and Martin,

here are some photos of "02" from her service career:

2d85fd0e-d391-41a5-913d-b191cb8b225e.jpg

A rather poor quality but clear enough to show no red or orange but a gray close to Medium Sea Gray.

c769a28a-dfac-421d-835d-8b3a80d0a56d.jpg

Here is another photo showing all silver paint. Unfortunately the Wing number (8) is not visible as it can be used for determining the time frame.

91d38c0c-72d9-43d5-b747-a65bd53052d5.jpg

This photo was taken when "02" was modified (she literally had a nose job). There is no mention of red or orange paint in aircraft technical papers. As I mentioned earlier a dull red primer was used for the interiors (and possibly for some outer as well) and for the wooden tail part. I had a chance to see the rear fuselage interior and the red primer matches very well with that visible on the canopy frame.

I hope these help You to make a decision but I'm afraid that on the other hand all this might be confusing...🙂

Your Canberra looks great and makes me to want to build one... well two actually.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hmmm... You may be right! My assessment was based on the fact that the Swedes generally used dayglo and not red. I wonder if John @canberra kid knows?

Martin

Interesting Martin! I'd say it's none of them but medium sea grey, the plywood fin is covered with Irish Linen which had a medium sea gray dope to protect it, The T.11 nose version was delivered from EECo with the panel in MSG, looking at the photos I have I would it is MSG on this aircraft too, the red is primer that has come through due to weathering. 

If you look at the photo of the RAAF T.4 the nose is day glow the fin is MSG.

BJ3rUX.jpg

BJ3Fpf.jpg

BJ3aE6.jpg

BJ3sfb.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm that: the wheel wells and doors are satin black in both Tp52s. Actually they look slightly blueish ("Night" paint perhaps?). I mixed Humbrol 15 and Humbrol 33 until "it looked right".

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

I was thinking that in a normal B.2 the navigator sat behind the pilot on port side. In Swedish Tp52s the SIGINT operator "FRA mannen" occupied the port rear seat and the navigator sat on starboard side. How was it in British T.11?

Here are some interior photos of my Tp52:

341359ab-6f3d-4f30-a729-c74d8f22724f.JPG

I built extra shelves from scratch for the starboard wall using the real aircraft as a guide. Those "black boxes" are imaginary as all SIGINT equipment was removed years ago.

44d53f0a-9cf4-4999-8823-a018661a65b8.JPG

Just to the right of the pilot's seat is an equipment rack with two shelves. Built out of scratch.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 5

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your support, that´s just great👍.

The red primer on the fin sounds plausible, but why is the canopy frame also red?

In doubt i will paint this area in MSG, thats correct anyway.

@Antti_Knice cockpit, the scratch work looks amazing.

Daniel

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your support, that´s just great👍.

The red primer on the fin sounds plausible, but why is the canopy frame also red?

In doubt i will paint this area in MSG, thats correct anyway.

@Antti_Knice cockpit, the scratch work looks amazing.

Daniel

Deniel

It's definitely Red primer, don't forget, silver coloured British aircraft are painted not unpainted Aluminium, I have Camberra parts that have red primer on them. Also it looks like the main airframe has black primer/undercoat showing through. 

John  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Orso said:

I have been thinking of getting this kit so I will follow this with interest. It pushed me to finally put the pictures I have of the 52001 and 52002 up in the IPMS Stockholm site: https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/tp-52-canberra/

Good photos Bjorn, interesting to see she has Mk.1 seats and a frangible Nav hatch. It's also good to see them undercover too.

tack så mycket!

John 

God afton Björn,

as John said, great photos. Thank you for sharing🙂

It seems that "02" has had a "nose job"...again! Hopefully the museum will do more restoration work on this aircraft.

Cheers,

Antti

Made some progress on the Canberra this weekend.

After glueing together the wing halves, I spent some time with the engines to improve the very rude formed kit parts.

35252480nr.jpg

35252482io.jpg

35252483ds.jpg

35252484nw.jpg

35252487kq.jpg

I also gave some attention to the position lights which were casted as part of the wings.

35252485wv.jpg

As last picture my improvement of the wing fuselage connection. I drilled two 2mm holes throug the Fuselage and glued a evergreen rod in. There are als two holes in every wheel bay, so I hope to get some more stability in here.

35252486jb.jpg

Daniel

Edited by _alfisti_
  • Like 3