Profile - Hawker-Siddeley HS.1175 Harrier evolution

135modeler

It’s a pretty profile but the low position of the wing tip relative to the fuselage suggests either a long wing or an absolute boat-load of anhedral (10o or more?) or both.  The long wing would reduce wing loading slightly, but increase structure weight and would militate against roll rate by increasing inertia in the rolling plane while the anhedral could produce unwanted aerodynamic interference on the tailplane..  The two-seater style ventral fin suggests a need for 🤪🤪a long undercarriage, also increasing weight (don’t forget how far a Harrier can squat during a vertical landing).  Hauling a lift engine around isn’t ideal either; more weight from the engine itself, additional fuel, fairing doors, additional structure around intakes and exhausts, and the latter using heavier heat-resistant materials, plus additional hydraulic or electrical services to operate the doors..................oh look it’s a dog’s breakfast, sorry F-35B.🤪

• Like 1

Interesting.  I don't recall seeing that one when browsing through the project team's drawings when I was at Hawkers, but it was a couple of years before my time there.  However I do suspect that this could be based on a real project drawing, though it must be remembered that these could be little more than pretty concept sketches.  It is completely believable that Hawkers would consider a mixed power plant version, if only to highlight the flaws and reject it.

Allowing for this being a modelling sketch not an engineering document, the wing anhedral does not look that different from the P1127, the tail being apparently that of the two seater, for which the undercarriage was quite normal.  The tail looks like that of the early P1127, which did indeed require extending to find clean air.

I do find the project number a bit odd, expecting it to be well before the P1184 or more likely just after.