RAF yellow T bands

jaw

A question - how wide were the yellow T bands on RAF/FAA trainer types? I thought that they were 36 inches as standard but have seen in some publications that they were 24 inches. If that is the case did the width of the T band vary by type of aircraft?

Any info would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John

John, sorry I can't find anything on this so have nothing concrete to add but my posting here brings it back to the top of the pile again and someone might be able to give an answer. I'm very interested in your question because it seems to be a point which has been overlooked. One for Paul Lucas perhaps, unsure if he is on here or not.

Cheers, Nige

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 11:14 AM, jaw said:

A question - how wide were the yellow T bands on RAF/FAA trainer types? I thought that they were 36 inches as standard but have seen in some publications that they were 24 inches. If that is the case did the width of the T band vary by type of aircraft?

Any info would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John

This may help a bit John - its a scan from my rather battered copy of "Aircraft Camouflage and Markings 1907 to 1954" by Bruce Robertson purchased January 1965 !.

The information also ties in with my Training Notes from Halton dated 1958.  

pIWTaco.jpg

Somewhere I have an official definition of the three categories of aircraft mentioned

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks to Nige and Dennis for their info and comments. After a bit of research I have come to the conclusion that the Hunter had T bands 24" wide, yet according to the relevant Xtradecal sheets they were 36" wide on the Vampire T11 and Meteor T7. And on the Balliol the Magna instruction sheet is quite clear that they were 36" as well. I am still trying to work out what they were on the piston Provost but I think that they might be 24".

John