Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Churchill

The 'Stuff You Wouldn't Want To Go To War In' GB

Recommended Posts

Time for a bump-- I've splashed how and brought a Brigand now, so it's got to be justified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the bump. Real life has slightly pushed modelling to the side for a few months but I will be getting back to it soon I hope, and my panzer IV from the STGB won first prize in a local model show, which was a boost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've actually found the perfect piece of flying :poop:that was pretty much obsolete when it was produced, the Blackburn Roc!

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/special-hobby-sh48050-blackburn-roc-mki--112165

 

While the Skua wasn't the great of aircraft it far exceeded it's more hopeless brother the Roc....which was a very apt name for it!

 

I acquired this model last year when I was in Penang (Malaysia) and sort of wondered if I would even build it or just sell it on evilBay, I bought it really cheap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the McDonnell F3H Demon would fit in here.  While the aircraft had a lot of potential, it never lived up to its expectations due to its hopeless engines.....both in terms of performance & reliability.  Early model ejection seats were a bit of a gamble too...though that was corrected later in it's life w/ the implementation of the Martin Baker seats.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I wonder if the McDonnell F3H Demon would fit in here.  While the aircraft had a lot of potential, it never lived up to its expectations due to its hopeless engines.....both in terms of performance & reliability.  Early model ejection seats were a bit of a gamble too...though that was corrected later in it's life w/ the implementation of the Martin Baker seats.

A good measure is to see how many units operated the type and for how long. Personally the couple helpless navy aircraft that come to mind are both Vought's the F6U sky pirate and F7U Cutlass "Gutless". Both were complete abject failures by Vought that was only redeemed when Vought produced the F-8 Crusader. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the first/initial batch of Demons were pure crap, they didn't have the right engine and were hopelessly under power. From memory they all sat at the factory awaiting new engines. The original planned engine for them (and others) cancelled as it didn't perform and they lost aircraft to it. The replacement wasn't much better! Still they produced over 500 of them and they were one of the Navy's early all weather interceptors. Plus yes the original factory ejector seats...well they didn't, they were replaced by MB seats.

 

I'm pretty familiar with this one as I attempted to build the Collect-Aire version, I will finish her one day once I can figure out how to fill the billions of resin bubbles!

 

But the initial version and sort of the rest are perfect candidates for this GB!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could've been such a sweet little hotrod if it had the right powerplant.  I've got the 1/48 Grand Phoenix F3H-2N (so the later w/ the "updated" and still inadequate/unreliable J71 engines) in the stash that I found at a model show a couple years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, the last Grand Phoenix model I built was their FJ-4B Fury......the closest I've ever come to smashing a model with a hammer!!! There's a special place in hell for them!! Worse I still have a second model in the stash!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to have a knack for finding the "winners".  :doh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

ok, the last Grand Phoenix model I built was their FJ-4B Fury......the closest I've ever come to smashing a model with a hammer!!! There's a special place in hell for them!! Worse I still have a second model in the stash!

Hmmm and I'm looking for another one to build i rather enjoyed my last one. Of course I'm a bit weird ? Wouldn't mind the Demon either ? I will keep eyes open for them locally when i go to the one swap meet that happens in chicago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this GB gets off the ground, I'll probably do a PH Models resin 1/72nd Blackburn Botha. 

Severely underpowered and difficult to fly, 580 were made but were withdrawn from frontline service very quickly, after being used in the maritime reconnaissance role by only one squadron, and relegated to training duties, obviously with disastrous results! 

 

Davey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

If this GB gets off the ground, I'll probably do a PH Models resin 1/72nd Blackburn Botha. 

Severely underpowered and difficult to fly, 580 were made but were withdrawn from frontline service very quickly, after being used in the maritime reconnaissance role by only one squadron, and relegated to training duties, obviously with disastrous results! 

 

Davey.

The Wikipedia entry is fairly damning, this is the worst of it; "The Botha proved to be severely underpowered and unstable; there were a number of fatal crashes in 1940."

 

There seem to have been quite a few Blackburn aircraft suggested for this build. It won't be lonely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fascinating thread. I think I would reject the PR Spitfire as they had a low loss ratio and were highly successful operationally.

 

There is a resin kit of the Bob Semple tank available. If anyone is mad enough I will find out more........... scale, availability, cost etc.

 

Edit - several others available that look less attractive!

Lego - https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/462815299198025961/

3D printed - https://www.shapeways.com/product/VC4QW3MYT/bob-semple-tank-20mm

Presumed resin - https://www.blacklionshop.nl/en/product/gi058---bob-semple-tank/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this thread. 

 

This is what I'll be building, first inspection the parts look very good. Fuselage halves match well together but have a slight curve away from each other,  should go together with a slap of epoxy!

Hope this gets going, after reading the excellent 'Database' article in the copy of 'Aeroplane Monthly', Feb' 2013 edition, I kind of feel sorry for it!

 

DSC_0001 DSC_0003

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, DaveyGair said:

 

Hope this gets going, after reading the excellent 'Database' article in the copy of 'Aeroplane Monthly', Feb' 2013 edition, I kind of feel sorry for it!

 

 

It's a strange thing isn't it, some of the candidates I look at and think , just crazy but yes some of them I feel sorry for as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking that an A11 Matilda I would be an obvious candidate for this GB.  But then, after reading more about it, I'm not too sure.

 

It seems the A11 has been unfairly judged because of its inability to engage enemy tanks.  In fact it was never designed to engage tanks.  It was designed as a mobile pillbox to accompany infantry and it seems to have given a good account of itself in its designed role.  The hull was pretty much impervious to the anti-tank guns in use at the time.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 9:46 PM, DaveyGair said:

Bumping this thread. 

 

This is what I'll be building, first inspection the parts look very good. Fuselage halves match well together but have a slight curve away from each other,  should go together with a slap of epoxy!

Hope this gets going, after reading the excellent 'Database' article in the copy of 'Aeroplane Monthly', Feb' 2013 edition, I kind of feel sorry for it!

 

DSC_0001 DSC_0003

 

I'll guess the nickname was the Blackburn Bother! With a name like that it was doomed from the outset surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His name was pronounced "Boater", being a Sarf Efrican gentleman, or even a Boer.  So maybe "Bloater"?  Or "Not at any cost".  It has been printed that the A&AEE report of this aircraft said that "Entry to this aircraft is difficult.  It should be made impossible."  I have some doubts, but it's a great line.  At one stage, the office clerk at Warton was an ex-RAF WW2 pilot who found himself in Scotland looking for a lift down south, and was asked if he'd take this Botha that was cluttering up their airfield.  Not knowing any better, he agreed, but soon found out why no-one else had done it.  To be fair it was rather elderly at this time, and was probably just going south to an MU to be scrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Ooh, mini-subs. Do tell us some more: what made you think of these? 

That Japanese one is Type A Kō-hyōteki-class submarine - only two men to run theoretically proper submarine, which was transported to and from their target areas on the decks of larger Type C1 submarines. Usually "from their target" part did not worked out though.

 

About Neger, from wikipedia: "About 200 vessels of this type were manufactured in 1944. The first Neger vessels entered service in March 1944. However, the Neger turned out to be very hazardous for its operator and up to 80 percent were killed. In return one cruiser, one destroyer, and three Catherine Class BAMS minesweepers were sunk in 1944 with the weapon". Well, basically it was two torpedoes, but one was supposed to go back.

I know about this midget submarine type because first Polish cruiser, ORP Dragon, was damaged to the point she was soon scuttled by one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Botan said:

That Japanese one is Type A Kō-hyōteki-class submarine - only two men to run theoretically proper submarine, which was transported to and from their target areas on the decks of larger Type C1 submarines. Usually "from their target" part did not worked out though.

 

About Neger, from wikipedia: "About 200 vessels of this type were manufactured in 1944. The first Neger vessels entered service in March 1944. However, the Neger turned out to be very hazardous for its operator and up to 80 percent were killed. 

Sound pretty conclusive to me. Sticking your undercrackers on your head and pencils up your nose then going "wibble" would be a better use of one's time. 

 

I'll put you on the list, Mr Botan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Churchill said:

Sound pretty conclusive to me. Sticking your undercrackers on your head and pencils up your nose then going "wibble" would be a better use of one's time. 

 

I'll put you on the list, Mr Botan. 

 

I'm already here under no. 19. I have just bumped thread with ideas for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...