1955 colour film 'Out of the Clouds'

Mr T

Was watching this film with my mum yesterday evening on Talking Pictures TV. It is a UK made film centring on a BOAC duty officer at Heathrow. The plot was extremely thin, but there were lots of shots of BOAC Constellations and Stratocruisers and BEA Viscount and stuff in the background like the Ambassador. Also some shots of the emergency service vehicles, which all appeared to be RAF war surplus. A nice period piece with car park scenes that would make our local classic car dealer drool. 

Talking Pictures TV tend to re run films and their website have a months worth of upcoming programming. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I watched again and I've got the DVD ! You can get it on Amazon . It is weak but with all the BOAC Eng site ,  old Piston Liners on view and close up too ,well worth watching. BTW it was just plain old London Airport then . First time I went there was when I was 3 and bits in Summer 1958 ,to the Long Haul  North Terminal on the A4 about opposite the Sheraton Skyline Hotel/Mc Donald's Drive in . Something that sticks in my mind . Pan-Am,BOAC DC-7s ,TWA ,TCA, Air India, PIA ,Air Ceylon etc. Connies/Starliners , Pan-Am and BOAC Stratocruisers , Convair 340and 440s and  no Jets  ,they came a couple of months later just the last knockings of flag Carriers with Pistons and the new ish Turbo Prop Viscount and Britannias . One of my favourite times .

Central Area ,there wasn't much there . The space where the Bus station is now was just a big open air carpark . Queens and the old T2 or as it was known The Europa Building (which featured in the film inside and the airfield side entrance) had only just opened in 1955, Control Tower and Boiler house was just about it. No Oceanic (T3) until 60/61 multi storey carparks, T1 arrived in 1968 .

Out of that lot all that's left is the Boiler House !

• Like 2

You must record it , you don't know what you're missing. It's not the normal bits and pieces of aeroplanes , things you don't often see in a Film and good long shots and other 'planes in the background . It's a real history lesson in the start of a boom at London(Heathrow) Airport and air travel in general .

Another is The VIPs . Talking Pics TV has stacks of films like this,I've lost count of the amount of films with old airports on them from late 40s-60s . Quite a few with Northolt in ,which was BEA's operating airport post war to around early 50s , Blackbushe ,Wolverhampton and stacks of others

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

Rats! The only DVD of this film is "Playback Region 2" only (meaning it will NOT play on US & Canadian players.

Look up on the web to find a hack to make your player "region free".

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, matti64 said:

Look up on the web to find a hack to make your player "region free".

I may try that. I can also buy a region-free DVD player for around $30 US.

14 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Rats! The only DVD of this film is "Playback Region 2"

I've just discovered you can rent this video through the British Film Institution. Playback is only possible if your system has an IP that appears to be from the UK.  a UK IPs,

However, if you have or install some VPN software such as Hola, you should be able to watch it.

On 03/03/2019 at 11:28, Vince1159 said:

Thanks Mr T,just checked and it's on again Thursday evening at 7:15....

I've set my Skybox to record it, thanks!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:05, Space Ranger said:

I may try that. I can also buy a region-free DVD player for around $30 US.

Most DVD players have a handset hack to make them region free. It not possible with BD players tho'.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

23 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Most DVD players have a handset hack to make them region free. It not possible with BD players tho'.

Tommo.

How does that work Tommo,there are tv series from America that we would like but are only available on region 1.Oh and what's a BD player?

Thanks

Neil

Edited by fatalbert

4 hours ago, fatalbert said:

How does that work Tommo,there are tv series from America that we would like but are only available on region 1.Oh and what's a BD player?

Thanks

Neil

It's an engineering code entered via the handset, the code varies from make to make and its possible to change a region locked machine to a region free one by resetting the chip (most DVD players use the same chip). I have done it to 3/4 machines. Google is your friend on finding the code for your machine.

BD = Blu Ray.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:28 AM, Vince1159 said:

Thursday evening at 7:15

Thanks, I'll watch it again , saves looking for the DVD in a dark cupboard !

Another film that's got interesting shots of London Airport and the 6 engined Avro Ashton in it is Cone of Silence . The Ashton was on loan to Bristol Siddeley  for testing 2 their Olympus engines in pods under wing outbd of the 4 normal Nene engines. Bit weird the 1st time I was it , outside the Brabazon Hangar at Filton with extra engines. Sent me on a trip with Google to find out what it was .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

I recorded this and watched it last night.  I am interested in all those emergency services vehicles, as well as the aircraft, and would like to get some snapshots for modelling purposes.  Anyone know of a way to capture an image off the TV and place onto my PC?

Mike