Fokker F.I Lt Werner Voss - 1:72 Roden

Here is my Roden 1:72 Fokker F.I which I built in 2006.

It represents 103/17 flown by Lt Werner Voss, of Jasta 10, from Marcke, in September 1917. Lt Voss was shot down in this plane on 23 September in a lone battle with six S.E. 5as of No 60 Sqn RFC.

The Fokker F.I was a pre-production variant of the famous Fokker Dr.I triplane of which there were only two built.

It was built OOB and my notes point out it was a bit of a tricky build. The paint scheme came out very well by accident. I followed the suggestion of various sources that the olive streaking was over a light blue base. Humbrol 47 Sea Blue was brushed all over and I then started dry-brushing Humbrol 155 Olive Drab when I put too much and had to rapidly spread the paint. Due to the "slippery" surface of the glossy blue paint, the paint spread out streaking exactly as I wanted so I painted the streaks in this way. A coat of dry-brushed Humbrol 66 followed with another of Humbrol 155 on top to add texture to the streaking. The rest of the kit was also painted by brush and the matt varnish airbrushed.

The decals were delicate and needed some trimming, as they were a bit oversize, and then some touching up with paint.

Thank you for looking and, as always, all comments are welcome

Miguel

enxQYPq2PuLB82iG4Q0eo9lUDeNEAeuaJi_H_lFm

zjGGdF-7aJBYjs-DkJlaZwThq7Q1oNeTOir23Nm_

6fnFzr9Yh74s8_i35f0FLUMYY9RTAZPkBgi4miNo

bJAm0evImnvnL7dOY3TzpQ4i27hSlpaeC-CVYYsH

AFVh1t33oyb0r-NGaPVfAqkDrBrUB-M5YvuPurrt

6doq2f49RnCx4get9bHz3jyW_WSy6VyrLwVlCUTG

NqaW3QYzkHcpX1c94QLJFwJsN_G6Fbk1LEtRnoo7

GHdgt2HtQizvimRnYIe6qps7_VDKA8H9sBGZ0tES

9GEAArNSdsVBS-mH6qbRBjwHGbuyLL2a2muK-ioa

3Vp1qYwXJ1j-Z2JQbIaJlHz2lHvbazi9izOSls0g

EPjzaSJ5SjgMzxJuKPWaeZQ4CWmQgHFI4NDOhiXZ

_IaFRYp0pcg48R10p7d0VsWYZ13sQol69094pBr8

AVBscER3Rm4tDpvObpNVUCm8xddsElZPg4eMTvk3

• Like 14

Excellent 'accident' - the scheme comes out very well. I built 1/72 WWI models when I was 15 years old and admire the detail that you get out of this small scale. Nowadays I would get an eye cramp...

I'm not sure but did the F.1 version have the interplane struts? I remember that due to main spar failure they were added after the first few machines had been delivered.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much everyone!

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A great job on that, its a kit I have but I've not been in a rush to start it, the painting scared me silly, now, after reading your experiences, maybe not so much now. :)

Steve.

Glad to hear it Steve!

3 hours ago, Toryu said:

Excellent 'accident' - the scheme comes out very well. I built 1/72 WWI models when I was 15 years old and admire the detail that you get out of this small scale. Nowadays I would get an eye cramp...

I'm not sure but did the F.1 version have the interplane struts? I remember that due to main spar failure they were added after the first few machines had been delivered.

The F.I was the pre-production variant of the Dr.I and only two were built. One was given to Werner Voss and the other to Manfred von Richtofen. Both machines had relatively short lives and were shot down (von Richtofen passed it on to another pilot). I've been checking photos of Voss' machine and the struts are there. I may be wrong but you might be confusing with another type that suffered from this problem, the Albatros D.V or the Pfalz D.III maybe? I seem to recall something along these lines but please correct me if I am wrong 🤔.

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

Very nice. It's amazing how small this kit is when it's on the shelf, isn't it?

Indeed!!

Cheers

Miguel

• Like 1

I may be wrong but you might be confusing with another type that suffered from this problem, the Albatros D.V or the Pfalz D.III maybe?

The D.V had a strut connection problem as far as I remember. It was definitely the early Dr.I that got wing flutter and broken spars, but it looks like the struts were added before the F.1s were delivered.

53 minutes ago, Toryu said:

I may be wrong but you might be confusing with another type that suffered from this problem, the Albatros D.V or the Pfalz D.III maybe?

The D.V had a strut connection problem as far as I remember. It was definitely the early D.I that got wing flutter and broken spars, but it looks like the struts were added before the F.1s were delivered.

OK, I've cleared it up. The machine you are referring to is the Fokker V.4. The F.I was the improved V.5 of which three (not two as I mentioned before), were built. The machines that followed were designated Dr.I and had only a small difference in the tailplane.

Incidentally, and as you correctly mentioned, the V.4 recieved struts when it was modified with V.5 wings.

Edited by Mig88
Grammer error
  • Thanks 1