DH Vampire FB.9 - 1:144 Mark I Models

Paul A H

DH Vampire FB.9

1:144 Mark I Models

vampfb9_01.jpg

The De Havilland DH.100 Vampire was built to fulfil a wartime requirement for a small, lightweight jet fighter for the Royal Air Force. Although the prototype aircraft flew almost two years before the end of the War, the production aircraft arrived too late to see service in the conflict. Despite this, well over 3,000 examples were produced and the aircraft enjoyed a relatively long service life by the standards of the day. Powered by a single De Havilland Goblin turbojet, the diminutive Vampire was capable of 548 mph and had a service ceiling of over 40,000 ft. In common with many other fighters of the day, it was armed with four 20mm cannon. The FB.9 was a tropicalised variant of the FB.5 fighter bomber, of which 326 were built.

vampfb9_02.jpg

Mark I Models have produced quite a range of 1:144 scale kits, including many British types from the WWII and Cold War eras. This kit is part of a range of Vampire kits released by the Czech manufacturer that - so far - includes the F.3 and FB.5/51/52. The kit is limited run in nature, but the plastic parts are nicely moulded, with crisp detail throughout. There is a small amount of flash present and the sprue attachment points are on the chunky side relative to the scale. As with other kits of single-engined aircraft in the range, you get two Vampires in the box. As you might expect, construction is fairly straightforward. The cockpit is pretty good, with a separately moulded seat for the pilot, an instrument panel and rear bulkhead as well as a tiny control column. Detail for the instrument panel is provided courtesy of a very small decal. Once the cockpit is complete, it can be sandwiched between the upper and lower halves of the fuselage along with the engine air intake vanes. The Vampire is a notorious tail sitter, so I'd be tempted to cram in as much nose weight as possible at this stage. Being such a small model, the tail booms are moulded as solid parts, as is the elevator. The undercarriage is surprisingly detailed for a model this size, and you even get a minescule pair of balance weights for the elevator. The canopy is pretty good, despite its tiny proportions. 

vampfb9_03.jpg

Mark I have included decals for four different aircraft:

• de Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9, WX207, 213 Sqn., Royal Air Force, Deversoir Air Base, Egypt, 1949-52. This aircraft is finished in Medium Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey over PRU Blue;
  • de Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9, WR154, No.8 Flying Training School, RAF Swinderby, 1957;
  • de Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9, WR110, 75/76 Sqn,. No. 78 Fighter Wing, Royal Australian Air Force, Ta Kall Air Base, Malta, 1952-54 (with an alternative scheme for 'Exercise Coronet;
  • de Havilland Vampire FB Mk.9, R100, No.1 Sqn., Rhodesian Air Force, Thornhill Air Station, early 1960s.

vampfb9_04.jpg

Conclusion

Surprisingly tiny, even in this scale, Mark I's Vampire is nonetheless an appealing little kit. Somehow the tiny scale suits the diminutive proportions of the little jet. The standard of manufacture looks to be pretty good and it doesn't look as though it will be particularly challenging to build. Recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

mark1_logo.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1