Gallery Models CH-34 Choctaw

MK7L7ll.jpg

This was great fun. Quite a departure for me, and didn't end up the markings or concept it started out as - but I suppose that's fairly typical. It ended up being a vaguely made up early Vietnam Army ship, rather than the Marines one I had in mind. 

The kit is nice, lots of detail, nice fit, lots of photo etch for grilles and so on. 

It was painted with Tamiya rattle can olive green before I went to work with yellow, sap green, indian red (nice for dry brushing for that red dust of Vietnam), black, white, and ochre oils. It was great fun. That was all sealed with a brushed coat of Vallejo satin varnish. Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

68TYBNE.jpg

e9NdeeK.jpg

CJksoUM.jpg

2gD45KD.jpg

6MLlbz4.jpg

O0xUM5O.jpg

dLgDlMm.jpg

7Bg1SGv.jpg

F1j49kI.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Very nice! - like the tonal variations on the green and the weathering generally. Is that all out of the box? The detailing looks very good.

Cheers

Malcolm

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Very nice! - like the tonal variations on the green and the weathering generally. Is that all out of the box? The detailing looks very good.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm! 

Yep - it's all OOB, except in the engine - which I added some wiring to, and some coiled wiring too... Only other addition  - not that one can really see it is that there's a stack of ammo crates in the hold which were resin aftermarket. 

The kit's got lots of detail - and nice PE belts and so on. Highly recommended. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Convincing chopper! The weathering looks just right to my eyes, not least the reddish dust down below.

Superb modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Hello Bruce,

Excellent Choctaw in finish and photography.

Regards, Orion

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Beautifully believable weathering. The oil stains in the bottom of the engine compartment especially caught my eye.

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb finish with the weathering first class!

Thanks to all! Oils really are great to work with. So forgiving - luckily for me. And it's a lovely kit. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:46 PM, Jonners said:

Superb.

On 3/4/2019 at 1:42 AM, CMSCHLOM said:

Really terrific job!

16 hours ago, F-32 said:

Superb work, real quality

And thanks to you all too. Can't take too much credit - as the kit really does most of the work. One particularly nice feature is that the internal passanger compartment is seperate from the 'walls' - so no sink marks to worry about on the inside. I think I will try a Wessex next - got rather fond of this lumpy, ugly machine. Apparently the Italeri Wessex is a good kit.