Sotar 20/20: Air coming forth but no paint; question

28ZComeback

Hi, about three weeks ago I experienced a problem with my Badger Sotar 20/20;  Air is spraying out but no paint. I cleaned the brush inside and out; cleaned the needle and let the tip set in acetone. After all this, still no air came out. I called Badger and the tech help desk suggested a new tip. I subsequently bought a new tip, installed it, and still paint will not spray. By the way I am testing with thinner so there is no question as to the thickness of the paint. Can anyone suggest a solution?  All was well with this airbrush until now, in fact, it’s the best I’ve owned so far. Thank you again for any advice or suggestions. 

Is the trigger pulling the needle back, if you press the trigger for air and pull the needle back by hand does anything come out from the nozzle.

Also your discription of the fault, you say air coming out but no paint, you cleaned it and still no air coming out ?. So is it no air or not spraying

If air is coming out from the nozzel, then it can't really be a blocked nozzel, something is preventing the paint, or thinner as thats what you are tyring to spray, from getting to the nozzel.

Take the neddle out and pour some thinner in the paint cup and see if it drips through to the tip. If it doesn't you may have a blockage from the paint cup feed to the nozzel.

Did you check the nozzle cap properly? It might be partly clogged up which means that some air will spray but not enough to draw anything from the cup. Use a wooden toothpick/cocktail stick to clean the hole on the nozzle cap. 

Are you getting air bubbles in the paint cup?

1 hour ago, colin said:

If air is coming out from the nozzel, then it can't really be a blocked nozzel, something is preventing the paint, or thinner as thats what you are tyring to spray, from getting to the nozzel.

The nozzle can be blocked solid and air will still come out as the paint and air "channels" are completely different. 

19 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

After all this, still no air came out. I called Badger and the tech help desk suggested a new tip. I subsequently bought a new tip, installed it, and still paint will not spray.

See post 3 😉

2 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Thanks—I took out the needle and thinner drips to the tip.  The needle looks clean but I will clean it again. Thank you. 

Check the ptfe nozzel washer is still on the nozzel head,if it is check it's not split/damaged, did the problem occur after you had cleaned it, or during using it

I had a similar problem with my old badger 150 and it turned out to be a tiny piece of Teflon tubing that I had lost during a previous clean up.

If you look here

https://airbrushinformation.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/sotar-instructions.pdf

Part 7 is a Teflon washer but to the right of it is a piece of Teflon tubing marked with an ‘*’ - it’s the needle seal and looks like it is a free replacment on request.

On my brush, that was missing which meant that the nozzle head/cap tightened up too much and blocked the air holes.

Once I had bought a replacment from Barwell Body Works, the brush started to work as expected.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

Nigel I do not have the part 7 or * tubing -that may be the problem. Here is what I think happened- I get a clog. Dismantle the brush. Clean the clog but lose the washer. That must be it. Thank you for all you help and precise diagram of the wonderful Sotar 20/20. 

5 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Nigel I do not have the part 7 or * tubing -that may be the problem. Here is what I think happened- I get a clog. Dismantle the brush. Clean the clog but lose the washer. That must be it. Thank you for all you help and precise diagram of the wonderful Sotar 20/20. 

Problem solved, you need both of those.  The needle sleeve (part *) is really easy to lose because it is tiny and when you withdraw the needle backwards it can fall out without you noticing.

So get those parts and you should be back working.  I use Barwell Body Works - think they are the main UK distributed for Badger.

Cheers,

Nigel

Actually I live in the States, but thanks for the info. The Badger tech rep said it, “couldn’t be the *” and suggested it was really the missing Teflon washer. Anyway, it looks somewhat sleeveless to me when I look inside the head. We will see.  Washer has been Ordered. Three weeks without the airbrush has taught me a lesson. 1) Never take apart the airbrush; 2) If the airbrush is dismantled, put a tray beneath it. Thank you again.

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

Actually I live in the States, but thanks for the info. The Badger tech rep said it, “couldn’t be the *” and suggested it was really the missing Teflon washer. Anyway, it looks somewhat sleeveless to me when I look inside the head. We will see.  Washer has been Ordered. Three weeks without the airbrush has taught me a lesson. 1) Never take apart the airbrush; 2) If the airbrush is dismantled, put a tray beneath it. Thank you again.

Okay, bad assumption.

But from my experience, if the needle sleeve is missing then you need to replace it. On my 150 (okay, different brush) I had the washer but the needle sleeve was missing.  I was getting similar symptoms to you.  There was airflow but it wasn't enough to draw paint from the cup/bottle but as soon as I added the needle sleeve it burst into life.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 years later...

I have a similar issue to this. I foolishly removed the nozzle and nozzle head on my Sotar 20/20 when cleaning. The PTFE nozzle washer is present. When I reassembled it it I get air but no paint out of the nozzle and anything in the cup bubbles up. I haven't seen the part 7 or * tubing. Checking Barwell I don't see the ability to order that part any dissassembly videos that show it either. Badger mention you can return your airbrush to them for free replacement of that part but from the UK to US and back isn't free with shipping, brexit, and customs.  

14 hours ago, Graylok said:

I have a similar issue to this. I foolishly removed the nozzle and nozzle head on my Sotar 20/20 when cleaning. The PTFE nozzle washer is present. When I reassembled it it I get air but no paint out of the nozzle and anything in the cup bubbles up. I haven't seen the part 7 or * tubing. Checking Barwell I don't see the ability to order that part any dissassembly videos that show it either. Badger mention you can return your airbrush to them for free replacement of that part but from the UK to US and back isn't free with shipping, brexit, and customs.  

Sometimes the washer gets worn out and you have to replace the washer.

As you get the nozzle head on and off during cleaning it can wear out the nozzle head washer because you press it between the two parts …the washer is part 20-110.

I had it once and since then I bought a bunch of these washers to be sure not being dependent on a two dollar washer delivery and being out of order for weeks…

By the way check wich Sotar you have as those being produced now are without a seperate nozzle head ….

Like this one https://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/Sotar Instructions.pdf

The part with the   * is the needle bearing which sits deep inside the body just behind the paint cavity. 
If this part is defect you have to replace it which  is possible with the complaint you have .

You will have to send to someone who can repair it or buy a repair kit. These bearings are tiny so choose wisely….

https://usaairbrushsupply.com/products/needle-bearing-replacement-tool-kit

cheers, Jan