P-40 survivors

72modeler

While looking for RNZAF P-40K-5's, I stumbled upon this website that I thought might be of interest to all you P-40 fans and modelers; I had no idea there were so many! I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Mike

http://www.godihirschi.ch/Cats/P40/P40.htm

As an FYI the following - P-40E 41-25109/VH-KTY - owned by Pay's Air Service PTY LTD mentioned

in Zac's Link above being ex RNZAF is also ex USAAF

Here is the Ownership lineage

USAAF 68th PG Tonga 1942 Serial ET449 - one of  a number of P40E-1's kept back from

an RAF Order

1a0f1f45-86f8-451e-a5a2-cd9effd585c8.jpg

In October 1942 ET449 was transferred to RNZAF 15 Squadron, then RNZAF 16 Squadron as seen here

now wearing the RNZAF Serial NZ3094 and RNZAF Roundels - of Interest 15 Squadron flew these "Tongan"

P40E's with USAAF Stars for some six months

11711de0-c2c8-44c9-a032-e0bcc1168f33.jpg

Some of these Tongan P40E-1's were also used in Night Fighting Operations, as

they had the Instrumentation on their Instrument panel.

NZ3094 was rescued form the RNZAF Open Rukuhia Storage, and spent some

time with the Subritzky Family collection North of Auckland before sale to Australia

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

While looking for RNZAF P-40K-5's, I stumbled upon this website that I thought might be of interest to all you P-40 fans and modelers; I had no idea there were so many! I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Mike

http://www.godihirschi.ch/Cats/P40/P40.htm

I didn't think that the RNZAF had any P-40K's

38 minutes ago, leyreynolds said:

I didn't think that the RNZAF had any P-40K's

Total of 20 long tail  P40K (10's & 15's) plus additional 2

RNZAF serials NZ3045-NZ3065

Additional 2

NZ3108 - P40K-1 (taken over from USAAF 68th PG Tonga)

NZ3090 - P40K-15

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

LDS and leyrenolds,

That's what I was afraid I would find out, as I was unable to find NZ P-40K-5's, just long tails.  Thanks, fellas!

Mike

Hi Mike,

What caused you to think that the RNZAF flew P40K-5's?

Thanks

Alan

15 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Mike,

What caused you to think that the RNZAF flew P40K-5's?

Thanks

Alan

'Cause I really wanted to do a K-5 that had sea grey, and I don't like the K-10/15's, and I wasn't able to find one in all of my references and internet photo searches....there always being an exception to the rule when it comes to models....wishful thinking on my part, I'm afraid, but I figured if there WAS one, then you would have the serial and codes! 😜

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

'Cause I really wanted to do a K-5 that had sea grey, and I don't like the K-10/15's, and I wasn't able to find one in all of my references and internet photo searches....there always being an exception to the rule when it comes to models....wishful thinking on my part, I'm afraid, but I figured if there WAS one, then you would have the serial and codes! 😜

Mike

Hi Mike,

The only Short Tail P40K I can offer is a one off, being NZ3108 (P40K-1)

What scheme it wore when taken over from the USAAF 68th PG, Tonga 1942,

I don't know. All I can tell you is that it wore code number 18.

If you are intent on doing a P40 in RNZAF Pacific Scheme, you could choose a P40E-1

flown for advanced fighter training in New Zealand. Many of those would have worn

the NZ Sea Blue Grey/Dark Green/Sky/Duck Egg Blue

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Mike,

The only Short Tail P40K I can offer is a one off, being NZ3108 (P40K-1)

What scheme it wore when taken over from the USAAF 68th PG, Tonga 1942,

I don't know. All I can tell you is that it wore code number 18.

If you are intent on doing a P40 in RNZAF Pacific Scheme, you could choose a P40E-1

flown for advanced fighter training in New Zealand. Many of those would have worn

the NZ Sea Blue Grey/Dark Green/Sky/Duck Egg Blue

Regards

Alan

That's pretty much the only one, as you pointed out, Alan. I'm thinking I will do one of the P-40E's that you illustrated with photos during the recent discussion on that scheme; for the P-40M, I plan on doing Geoffrey's P-40, as I found a decal sheet with his markings, and  I really like all the white striping, but I have a question regarding the stripes. In some photos and color profiles, as well as some decal sheets the stripes are white, but in others they are represented as white with thin red outlines. My personal view is the stripes are white and the dark areas on either side are due to the masking that was used, which when removed, caused dark bands due to white overspray. Am I nuts?

Mike

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

My personal view is the stripes are white and the dark areas on either side are due to the masking that was used, which when removed, caused dark bands due to white overspray. Am I nuts?

Hi Mike,

Not nuts :), you're actually spot on with your assessment.

The "Red Outlined Stripes" are yet another Modelling Myth about RNZAF aircraft, P40's in particular

Regards

Alan

10 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Mike,

Not nuts :), you're actually spot on with your assessment.

The "Red Outlined Stripes" are yet another Modelling Myth about RNZAF aircraft, P40's in particular

Regards

Alan

Hot doggies- I got one right! Thanks, Alan; coming from you, that means a lot to me! 👌

Mike

• Like 1