Ferrari mythos

On 22/07/2019 at 06:59, S5 modeller said:

Well, that didn't work. Flickr has stopped my uploading new photos, so thought I would try Google images. Seems you can't embed photos with it. 

Any suggestions for a free image hosting site? 

Matt

You can embed photos, but it's not as easy as some of the other sites. Hope you don't mind me using one of my pics from Spa to demonstrate, but here's the step I use:

1) Go to your photos, then click on the photo you want to upload

2) When this is on screen, right click on the photo and select "Copy Image Location"

3) In your post, right click and paste the link - it will be very long, but if you're lucky it will automatically display the image (Murphy's Law says that the only time it's done this for me was when I was trying to display the size of the link here!)

4) If it doesn't automatically post the image, you will need to add {img} in front of the link and {/img} after the link, only using square rather than curly brackets. I can't work out how to set the size of the picture, but fortunately it appears that the forum software will stop the image getting too big.

And to prove it works:

4RVh_QpARzgMo1NZE1fXa4IbY_7LZFEUpLjldHL1

Hope that helps.

Edited by Spiny
Because the autoposting thing only seemed to display the image to me! - You will need to add the img's in brackets.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yes.

Brilliant, it works. 

Right, as I said previously, I have pushed this build a few steps closer to completion. 

DSC-0416.jpg

DSC-0417.jpg

DSC-0418.jpg

The engine is now complete, and installed in the rear of the chassis. 

DSC-0420.jpg

DSC-0421.jpg

DSC-0419.jpg

The rear and front suspension is also installed, along with the front sub frame and the steering rack. The brake disc's are fitted, along with the little poly caps provided, and the metal pins to attach the wheels. I'll pop these pins out later when I'm ready to fit them. 

Next up it's the installation of the fire wall and engine brace, then onto the interior. 

I'm getting there slowly. 

Thanks for looking in. 

Matt

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back again, squeezing some bench time in. 

Trying to push this build towards completion, but it seems like there's always something else round the house needs doing, but got more work to show. 

DSC-0428.jpg

Door cards primed ready for paint. 

DSC-0429.jpg

A lot of silly masking on the main interior tub, just to prime the seat cushions in grey. The rest of the tub needs to be white, apart from the carpet which will be black, as it will be body coloured. I need the cushions to be grey, as I found out earlier in my build that the ferrari red over grey gives a slightly darker overall tone than over white, and I hope it will help simulate a red leather look, but slightly different to the body red. 

DSC-0427.jpg

I've also painted the ferrari logo in the wheel center caps black. Found that flooding the logo with tamiya rubber black, the using my finger to wipe off the excess, it left the logos filled in. Just for comparison that's a 5 pence piece in the picture. I hope to be able to use a similar trick for the bonnet emblem, which is a tiny photo etch piece. 

DSC-0430.jpg

Next up is masking the chrome wheel rims, to paint the center spokes aluminium, and leave the chrome outer rim. 

Hope I've not bored you too much. 

Thanks for looking in, especially to the members following my ham fisted modeling exploits, hope to post more soon. 

Matt 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

DSC-0449.jpg

Got the seat cushions primed in grey. 

DSC-0451.jpg

DSC-0450.jpg

Dashboard painted in satin black, also had to make a repair on the cross bar behind the seat tub. 

DSC-0453.jpg

Door cards masked and sprayed satin black. 

DSC-0452.jpg

Interior painted Italian red. 

DSC-0454.jpg

Body shell with it's final primer coat, ready for the Italian red top coat. 

All been left out in the sun to dry and bake on. 

Matt

Hello again. 

Body work day today. 

DSC-0457.jpg

Got the body shell and engine cover ready for their top coat of Italian red. 

DSC-0463.jpg

Engine cover painted. 

DSC-0458.jpg

DSC-0459.jpg

DSC-0460.jpg

DSC-0461.jpg

DSC-0462.jpg

Body work painted. Looks good from a distance, but has come out with a fair bit of orange peel. I've decided to cut it back with 2000 grit wet and dry. 

Tested it out on the engine cover first, and sanded it back. Got rid of 90% of the orange peel, but caught an edge and went through the paint, right down to the primer. As I now need to respray it I thought I would test out the tamiya polishing compounds I purchased recently. 

DSC-0464.jpg

DSC-0465.jpg

This is the result after a quick going over. I like the results they produce, and think they are my new favorite products. With a bit more care I think the results could be stunning. Makes me wonder if I can get away without a clear coat, what do you think? 

Matt. 

I think with a solid coat like this you ought to be ok without the clear coat (although I always seem to clear bodies anyway). I don't think there's much in the way of decals on this one by the looks of things, so it's not as if you're sealing in the decals anyway.

As an aside, don't use a lacquer based clear coat to cover decals (as discovered with a test piece of scrap decal on a spoon so no harm done!)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Morning chaps. 

I know it's been a while since I last updated this build, but you know how it is. 

Got a paint question. 

The body shell is sitting on my tamiya paint stand, in it's final colour coat, but I'm having trouble with the engine cover. 

DSC-0547.jpg

I thought this would be the final layer of paint. On closer inspection I noticed 4 small blemishes, on the left hand side of this picture, in the paint. They are barely visible, but I know they are there. 

Is it worth wet sanding to get them out, or should I just leave them in there? 

To my eye they stick out like a sore thumb, and I would love to remove them, but is it worth the effort? 

Overall I'm happy with the rest of the paint work, and the body came out lovely. Can't understand how the blemishes ended up in the paint, as I made sure everything was clean before painting. 

What's everyone's thoughts on it? 

DSC-0542.jpg

DSC-0543.jpg

DSC-0544.jpg

Here's how the rest of the paint looks. 

Matt 

Edited by S5 modeller
  • Like 1

Photo's on here are about 'reverse 1/24', or something....I don't know. I'm approaching 70, age, not driving the car, and I am at the stage of turning my stash and 'un-builts' into garbage... or Art........... go with your heart and enjoy! They had blemishes from the factory, don't worry about that! 

• Like 2

If it was me, I would have to sand them because knowing they're there it would bug me every time I saw them (less so if I'd seen them after it was too late). Of course, if they don't bother you then leave them be. My main worry with polishing would be that from the photo they almost look like bubbles, and if you go through the paint it's not really the time of year to be doing a respray.

Edited by Spiny
wrote before originally, should have said after
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with spiny on this one I would have to remove them. However it's your kit so its your choice you should build your kits to satisfy yourself not the audience. 

Regards Andy 

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 6:34 AM, JeroenS said:

I think it's best to clear coat first, then polish. Gives you a little bit extra to work with while polishing. 

Only problem with that is you will seal in any defects and orange peel

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, colin said:

Only problem with that is you will seal in any defects and orange peel

I thought this too. I've got a bit of orange peel, but it's in the gloss I think. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any in the colour coat. 

I've left the imperfections in the base coat, as I got caught up in the moment, and applied the gloss coat.. 

• Like 1