MiG-15, 1/72 Eduard

MiG-15 | 1/72 | Eduard

Poland --Unknown pilot

QRQCsjY.jpg

This was my first Eduard kit. I chose to get aftermarket decals in order to do a Polish MiG-15. Polish built MiG-15s were called Lim-1s, with the MiG-15bis being Lim-2. However, as @GrzeM kindly pointed out, not all Polish MiG-15 were built in Poland -- some were imported from the USSR -- so this could be a MiG-15 or a Lim-1. WIP is here.

So, why Polish? Well, I did an Airfix MiG-15 when I was in high school and it was the first Soviet-made aircraft model I built that had something other than the Soviet markings. The Airfix kit was hideous and I always intended to replace it. Many may remember how inaccurate the old Airfix kit was, plus it was an old mold, so it had very clumsy raised panel lines. It was the only model I threw in the trash because I couldn't rehabilitate it (photo at the end of the post).

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue)

Paints:  no primer  > Tamiya TS30 Silver Leaf (decanted into airbrush) > Some panels painted with Alclad white aluminum, Alclad Dull Aluminum, Testors buffable Metal Plate, and Alclad Stainless Steel > sealed with Testors Metallizer sealer

Decals: Hi-Decal Line 72-022

Weathering/Wear: Panel line wash with diluted watercolors > some access panels shading (as seen on reference photos) with Tamiya weathering pastels (black) > oil staining and dirt streaks with Black and Burnt Umber Winsor and Newton Oil Paints > Chips on the walkway with Testors Chrome enamel applied with a spotter brush and foam brush > wear on the walkway with Tamiya weathering pastels (white)

fRkM2wf.jpg?1

BUtFK5x.jpg

Os8wN6g.jpg

Nk6dnJs.jpg

4RjxY4v.jpg

For those that were following along in the WIP, I finally got the decals to settle in. :)

9POVTno.jpg

bImf5XV.jpg

4JnVtfu.jpg

of2fotm.jpg

0SdHpLS.jpg

Build notes:

• The detail of the Eduard kit is amazing. It is the most detailed 1/72 kit I've done
  • The engineering of the Eduard kit is also amazing and it is precisely molded. A little too precise -- my cockpit construction was a little sloppy (with paint on the mating seams, slight misalignments, etc) and I couldn't close up the fuselage. I had to tear the cockpit apart, clean the seams and carefully reassemble it.  The fuselage closed, but took some pressure to keep it closed while the glue set. The nose popped open again later and I had to re-glue it.
  • The landing gears were a bit fiddly -- Eduard wanted you to bend one of the struts of the landing gear and connect it to a gear door. I tried to be very careful, but it snapped anyway.
  • The decals were very nice, but in spite of being very thin, they needed a lot of "Mr. Mark Softer" solvent to get them to settle in. I was a bit surprised by that, but nothing a little time and care couldn't handle.

For fun: Here is a photo of my original Airfix kit.  I was in the process of deciding whether I could refinish it and I took this picture with my new state-of-the-art 640x480 digital camera (this was a long time ago...). 

WCzevcF.jpg

Thanks for looking; questions, comments, and constructive criticism always welcomed!

• Like 39

Very nicely done. I really like the subtle differences in panel shades and weathering. Doesn’t look weathered until you look more closely. Love it. :star::clap:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very subtle but nice metal tones! Well done!

Mike

Thanks! I'm quite happy with the metal tones. I think matching the various colors of metal is the hardest part of modeling for me right now. Matching paint colors is much easier!

12 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Came out nicely Opus - well done:)

Thanks! I'm glad you were along for the ride.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I like that indeed, you might just have sold me on one of these & in a NM finish. 😮 Now that is praise. ;)

Steve.

Glad you like it. :DNMF Warsaw pact a/c were pretty bland, but all the better to notice all the various types of metal they used!

7 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Great build, and I love the comparison with the Airfix kit on the state of the art digital camera! I think my first digital camera was a Kodak with a resolution of 640x480, and boy was I disappointed with the image quality!

Thanks!

Posting the comparison amused me -- things have come a long way with my modeling skills, my photography skills and my camera equipment! :DIIRC, my first digital (that took that picture) was a Canon. I think I was a too "Wow"'d with the fact that I could take digital pictures to really notice the picture quality... until now! :( Now I wish I hadn't used it all the time!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Very nicely done. I really like the subtle differences in panel shades and weathering. Doesn’t look weathered until you look more closely. Love it. :star::clap:

Thank you! I'm working hard to not over do wear and weathering. It can be very hard to know when to quit sometimes!

2 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Good effort mate 👍🏿

Thanks! Glad you were along for the ride!

very nice.

i was at the polish airforce museum last week, the mig's there were not in such good nick.

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

Migs and stuff

regards Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:23 PM, opus999 said:

MiG-15 | 1/72 | Eduard

Poland --Unknown pilot

QRQCsjY.jpg

This was my first Eduard kit. I chose to get aftermarket decals in order to do a Polish MiG-15. Polish built MiG-15s were called Lim-1s, with the MiG-15bis being Lim-2. However, as @GrzeM kindly pointed out, not all Polish MiG-15 were built in Poland -- some were imported from the USSR -- so this could be a MiG-15 or a Lim-1. WIP is here.

The soviet delivered MiGs-15 had two digit numbers, Polish built three and four.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cardiff guy said:

i was at the polish airforce museum last week, the mig's there were not in such good nick

Wow!  Those are great photos... thanks for sharing them! I've seen a couple builds where folks have made their MiGs look like they've been sitting in a field (or museum...) for years.  It would be a fun weathering challenge, that's for sure. Well, I do have a Dragon MiG-15 that I have no plans to build, maybe that's what I should do with it! :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hadzi said:

The soviet delivered MiGs-15 had two digit numbers, Polish built three and four. 

I didn't know that! So, I guess I built a MiG then. :)

Thanks for the info!