Fairey Seafox (es)...Touch down & DONE

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nearly there... floats and all looking great! 

Cheers Ian. Talking of floats...

20190620-225917-1.jpg

floats on, also the aerial mast... looking good to me.

I wanted to get on with this like fitting the aerial wire but I don't want to do that yet as I need to put observer and his gun into the rear pit. I can't do thatyet because I want to pose the canopy open as it is rather unique but I need to make thinner variants first, using my toy.

20190620-171331.jpg

Tool purchases this week that included two chisels, a scriber and the most important tool, a Dental Vacuum Former. A steep learning curve will ensue with this canopy making melarky. First, I need to make a mold...and I've never done that either.

Forgot to mention, sea base under construction too.

Stuart

• Like 12

Nice haul there Stuart!

Those chisels are excellent. I have 1, 2, and 3mm flat ones and I'm seriously thinking of getting some of the half round ones too. As for the vacformer....hmmm. tempting, very tempting....

Ian

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

As for the vacformer....hmmm. tempting, very tempting....

That's @Terry1954 fault, he bullied me into it.

I think that making the molds is going to be the hard part. I'm hoping that I can use the kit glazing as the master without damaging it in the process.

Stuart

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2019 at 10:15 PM, azureglo said:

My problem is the ingrained memory of my cadet flying instructor insisting, "Never trust anything with wings spinning above your head or held together with wires, son."

It’s safer to stop and then land, than to land and then stop”.  Flying Instructors and their mottos, eh?  Pick your bias!

[But jets are for kids.  That’s just a fact]

Edit: sorry, how rude of me.  Those Sea Foxes are looking amazing.  Foxy, in fact.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

The Vac former is nice, but it's possible and not too difficult to homwbrew one. 

32669990997_1035c22196_z.jpg

33735242048_f19ea5f09b_z.jpg

This is my last effort using this:-----

46749404711_2268a08026_z.jpg

46024593724_dbb3a2745f_z.jpg

A wooden box from ebay, some duct tape, a picture frame and some bulldog clips (ebay again) I think I got change from a 20 :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I assume @Fritag has already been appraised of this fact? 😉

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

The Vac former is nice, but it's possible and not too difficult to homwbrew one. 

I had considered a home brewed one, but I think my money will go where Stuart's clearly already has. Just waiting for him to tell me what a brilliant idea it was!

Terry

• Like 3

Hello Stuart !!

Great haul, now that sparked weird idea too !!

First, His baronship !! Now You !! Help help, it's a pandemia !!

Grreeeaaaatttt job on the Seafoxes !! 

Now, I'll look for one at least but at my fav scale !!😉😙

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Seafox does look great.

TBH if I had the budget I'd buy the vacformer too. Mind I do get a great sense of achievement when I coax something decent out of my setup :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

19 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I assume @Fritag has already been appraised of this fact? 😉

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Only about several times

Crisp is right - on both counts :D

Its a fact.

Its alright for kids to rush about with their heads on fire and their brains about 5 miles behind the jet and to get sweaty and grunty pulling lots of 'G' - but its all far too exhausting for the more sensible mature individual.......

That said.  I'm not sure that sensible mature individuals want to go helicoptering about at nought foot six over the ogg splosh in the middle of the night either.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

To be honest, maturity and military aviation are rarely seen in the same room.

All joking aside, it’s a young person’s game.  I loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat... if I were 23 again.

Very early in my training, while still on the trusty Bullfrog at Topcliffe, we had a day when the Yorkshire weather meant no flying for student filth like us, wot with no instrument rating an’ all.  A few of the Beefers (instructors - I think a FAA-only term) came into the student crewroom and sat around with us chewing the fat and telling stories.  Pete Freddi (ex-Lightning driver with some ridiculous number of hours) and Tony Wride (the lovely Waspy who was more responsible than anyone else for teaching me to fly) were telling us a few “and then the other wing fell off” dits...

At some point Tony said “you won’t believe us at this stage, because you’re young and you want to get airborne at every opportunity, but sometime in your future career you will be flying and you will suddenly think ‘What the f*ck am I doing? This is bloody dangerous!’  Once you have thought that you will never be the same pilot again.  You might keep flying afterwards, though many don’t, but you’ll never throw the aircraft around will completely carefree abandon again.”

14 years later, night cliff rescue in a snowstorm in Glencoe.  Crisp in left hand seat.  You fly cliff rescues with whoever can see better, and the other bloke - me in this case - manages the engines, balances the fuel, takes the radios etc.  This was a long job and it felt like we were hovering next that bloody mountain for hours, with the cab bucking about in turbulence and the wipers going as fast as their little legs could carry them.

Sure enough, Tony was right. I suddenly thought “If we lose an engine here, we are all dead.  This is bloody dangerous”.  And once I’d thought it, I couldn’t un-think it.  I was near the end of my career anyway, but I don’t think I was ever quite the same while airborne again.

You need to be young, with that “it’s never going to happen to me” confidence/arrogance of the young, to be any good.

All the insults between aircraft types / inter-Service and so on are just banter.  I flew jets a few times early in, and I was so far behind the aircraft I was almost water-skiing.  Not for me.  I expect Steve would say something similar about deck landing a Lynx.  

Sorry for thread drift.  For some reason feeling in-frivolous this morning, but no doubt normal service will he resumed soon!

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

To be honest, maturity and military aviation are rarely seen in the same room.

All joking aside, it’s a young person’s game.  I loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat... if I were 23 again.

That'd be nice. :) My flying experience is severely limited, 28 hours flogging a Cherokee around the circuit before I decided my money would be better spent on girls & beer, bugger all chance of a flying job in NZ in those days, way too regulated, but even so I can recall doing some slightly daft things over the practice area. This all before I was 24. In those days, dreaming as I did of Spitfires, BoB et all, I just knew I'd have been a bloody good Spitfire pilot. Funny isn't it that I look back & reckon I'd have made a much better crew chief, or rigger. ;) :D The wisdom of age, it would've been a real asset 40 years ago.  :D

This was all 'sposed to include kudos to Stuart for a cracking job on the Seafox(es) & confess that I've been looking at those vaccy things on ebay, less than NZ$200.00 at the door step. Oooooh. :) 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
to show manners.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I loved it, and would do it again in a heartbeat... if I were 23 again.

Ditto.  I wos 20 years and 9 days old when they pinned her majesty’s wings on; and was invulnerable; blithely unaware of risk, no self awareness and as unbearably bouncy as a  puppy given a new toy to play with.  Not fit to be let out in public really. 

• Haha 7

The closest I got to "Her Majesty's Wings" was an ATC glider course at RAF Newton. Many years later, bush flying in Guyana got pretty interesting at times! It was when one of my friends didn't return from a routine flight, and I realised that the company lost an average of one pilot every couple of years that I decided 6 months was enough, although it was bloody good fun, and real flying in my book.

Sorry, I digress, back to you! 

Ian

• Like 7

An old codger at work once told me: " you don't have to be young and stupid to work here, but it helps. "

Thankfully, a couple years later, after a lot of modifications and work, the safety programs started up and it got a whole lot better.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The closest I got to "Her Majesty's Wings" was an ATC glider course

I did that as well, and then waited almost 35 years until in my early 50's and did a PPL. Close to 30 hours in a PA-28 ( like @stevehnz ) is all I have cos the club I was a member of went broke and took a lot of my money with it!

Still have a hankering to fly and may well join the local Gliding club down near Bovington now I'm retired.

See where your Seafox's have taken us all Stuart!

Terry

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Has anybody driven a submarine...:whistle:

Stuart

Sitting at the helm of USS Tusk in Baltimore harbour, is that counting ???

I think that you're the only one Stuart...

CC

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Has anybody driven a submarine...?

Well it's not really the sort of thing one would wish to confess in polite society.  Like owning a Trabant, or supporting Derby County.  One is aware that such people exist, and of course someone has to do these things, but it's entirely understandable that they don't really want to say so in public.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well it's not really the sort of thing one would wish to confess in polite society.  Like owning a Trabant, or supporting Derby County.  One is aware that such people exist, and of course someone has to do these things, but it's entirely understandable that they don't really want to say so in public.

Quite.

One believes that young bold pilots are one thing,but submariners are a rather different breed altogether.

• Like 2