Fairey Seafox (es)...Touch down & DONE

Nice work, I'm looking forward in to it. Nice detailing. I had made my a two years ago, it was a hard work. This is an old kit but, it is THE Matchbox. 

Good luck, 

9yiQSCB.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

I thought I'd try a new paint Aluminium paint from MIG and the jury is still out as to whether like it or not.

So many Aluminium/Silver paints out there these days Stuart, enamel, lacquer, acrylic ........... I'm curious to see how this one goes too.

Great detailing going one.

Terry

8 hours ago, Franz75 said:

Nice work,

Cheers Franz, good looking Seafox you've done there.

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great detailing going one.

Cheers Terry. Yes, their are many aluminium/ silver paints but at this particular time I'm limited to what's in the LMS. hence the MIG option.

Stuart 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what can one say about this MIG aluminium option...:thumbsdown:.

After 3 days it was still tacky, so it was paint off. I took things a bit more slowly but diluted it a little this time, good temperature/ humidity and, pants...for me anyway. :tapedshut:

So, feeling a little sad for myself, I walked away from the cave for a few days and returned to the Seafox. I have now stripped back the paint again and having found a tin of Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium 27001 that I didn't think I had, I'll be giving that ago later.

Stuart

• Sad 3

On 5/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, Courageous said:

After 3 days it was still tacky,

Not good! I seem to recall I had a similar experience with Alclad once, but have had a couple of other successes with it. Also sometimes my Alclad black undercoat remains sticky for ages. It seems NMF can sometimes be a challenge. Take my RAF Sabre for example. Still no RFI as I'm still having one or two challenges sorting the finish. I think temperature and humidity do play a part with silver paint though.

Lets hope the tried and trusted Humbrol Metalcote does the job!

Terry

I seem to be having trouble pushing metallics through my AB, I think it's due to my needle size; the Metalcote was thinned 50/50 but drying either on the tip or on the way to the model creating a grainy finish :wall:. So, take three.

20190527-181522-1.jpg

I carried out a quick experiment between Tamiya AS12 and  Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium on a nearby test 'mule'. I thought that the AS12 would be too bright but I couldn't see any noticeable difference. So the parts had coat of rattle can AS12 and I'm now happy to move on.

Next, I'll be doing those little bits before the wings go on; venturi, exhausts, some boxes for the observers pit, gun with mount, etc.

Stuart

• Like 7

Good save, it is looking great!

If you are not averse to lacquers, I have had really good results with the Mr Metal Color range of paints.  The "Alumine" colour sprays extremely smooth and has tremendous coverage.  If you mix it with a couple of drops of white it makes for an excellent match to the RAF aluminium dope too. 

• Like 1

I found this plastic struts very week, whole wing was moving. Finally I had to replace it with metal rods. Plastic material  which was  used in Matchbox kits from 80's wasn't the best. From 70's  much better. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 6:34 PM, Franz75 said:

I found this plastic struts very week

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the struts. I'm very low on brass at the moment, so I'm hoping that the struts will hold and then it'll be onto its sea base.

I'd almost forgot about a little paint job that needed doing.

20190601-145550-1.jpg

Floats needed their red noses, so a quick coat of handy Revell 31 done the job. Wait for this to dry before it gets its Klear coat for the decals.

20190601-145304-1.jpg

Done a few black boxes for the observers pit. Made from plastic, painted black and some Grant Decals applied. I'm not pretending that this is accurate in anyway but when viewed at a safe distance, you'll never know. Decals need to dry before sealing and fitting into orifice.

20190601-145115-1-1.jpg

Knocked up some exhaust stacks from plastic. Painted with Valejo  875 Beige Brown and dry brushed with graphite from pencil to give that burnt, rusty, metallic look.

Fuselage and wings Kleared and ready fro some decals.

Stuart

• Like 8

On 5/27/2019 at 6:33 PM, Courageous said:

I seem to be having trouble pushing metallics through my AB, I think it's due to my needle size; the Metalcote was thinned 50/50 but drying either on the tip or on the way to the model creating a grainy finish :wall:. So, take three.

I carried out a quick experiment between Tamiya AS12 and  Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium on a nearby test 'mule'. I thought that the AS12 would be too bright but I couldn't see any noticeable difference. So the parts had coat of rattle can AS12 and I'm now happy to move on.

Next, I'll be doing those little bits before the wings go on; venturi, exhausts, some boxes for the observers pit, gun with mount, etc.

Stuart

Hey Stuart, I know you've been following my wild 'n wacky  NMF builds and TBH, I have tried everything from Metalcote to AK Extreme but nothing comes close to Alclad, not even the Mr Color "alumine" and super silver. BTW the metalcotes are buffable  and I'm pretty sure like some of the Mr Metal colors, they are designed to be buffed after applying and have microparticles of graphite. I don't think these can or should be put through an Airbrush unless you've got a 0.5-6mm nozzle and thin them greatly.

When I tried I noted the metalcotes even super thinned, they started drying in the mixing jars. If you're really keen , they do metal coat in spray cans but I found them difficult to evenly spray as they clogged the nozzles. Apparently there is a new kid in town that many in the Japanese fora are ranting about which I will be trying as I love all things Gunze:

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/products/paints/mr-hobby-mr-color-aquenous/mr-color-super-metallic

Anyhoo after all that, the Seafox is looking fine, like helos, biplanes are bit of mystery to me but I did have an indecent amount of fun in Pitts Special a few years back. My problem is the ingrained memory of my cadet flying instructor insisting, "Never trust anything with wings spinning above your head or held together with wires, son."

Cheers, Anil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the struts. I'm very low on brass at the moment, so I'm hoping that the struts will hold and then it'll be onto its sea base.

I'd almost forgot about a little paint job that needed doing.

20190601-145304-1.jpg

Done a few black boxes for the observers pit. Made from plastic, painted black and some Grant Decals applied. I'm not pretending that this is accurate in anyway but when viewed at a safe distance, you'll never know. Decals need to dry before sealing and fitting into orifice.

Close enough, he's got two heading indicators, that should stop him getting lost.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 10:17 PM, azureglo said:

Close enough, he's got two heading indicators, that should stop him getting lost.

:rofl:. My only saving grace is that nobody is going know what they are when you get a pilot and glazing in front of them.

On 6/2/2019 at 11:52 AM, Putty Animal said:

Love the red tips on the floats. 

I haven't found an actual image of a Seafox with red tits tips but instructions say so, so they're on, besides, it livens the otherwise boring overall aluminium dope.

This evening, I started applying the decals but I'm not happy with them. Now I know these decals are old, so I should expect some possible issues. First, I noticed this milky stuff coming off while the decals were soaking prior to release, not sure what that is? Eventually, the decals came away from the backing sheet and applied but I'm not happy with the surrounding decal film. Depending how you view it, it looks clear or cloudy, silvering? So, I've left the few I've done to dry overnight after a coat of Sol and we'll take it from there. :wall:

Stuart

Lots of little jobs getting in the way of modelling but I've managed some progress.

20190606-203454-1.jpg

20190606-203758-1.jpg

What decals their were, are on. Now they're dry, they don't look too bad and I think they'll look even better once a satin varnish is applied...hopefully.

20190606-203709-1.jpg

The black decals were a fail, just wouldn't come off the backing paper. So, out with the masking take and the black markings airbrushed on.

Next, I need to apply a Satin coat, add the little bits and then think about adding the rigging onto the lower wing.

Stuart

• Like 9

Nice progress on this one Stuart. Surface finish and I do like the save with the black markings on the wings. Sometimes masking stuff like that can be a real pain, but when its done it can look far better than decals.

Terry

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

During the week, I've been loading up the upper wing with Uschi rigging line.

20190609-195937-1.jpg

In go the exhaust stacks, better that the Matchbox molded efforts. On go the resin venturi, again, replacing the molded on effort. Also on, is the scratchbuilt oil cooler on the top.

20190609-191221-1.jpg

The observers station now receives its black boxes and the Fairey High Speed gun mount. The Lewis will be fitted later as it's bound to get knocked off during the rigging process.

Rigging next...

Stuart

• Like 9

It has been a while since I've done my first rigging subject and this'll be my second.

20190613-200949-1.jpg

On my previous rigging build, I used mono-filament fishing line going into blind and 'through' holes. As an experiment, this time I'm using Uschi line going into blind holes all round. Here we have the port wing rigged and after resting my eyes, the starboard wing was done too. It was an experience, I like the Uschi as rigging but prefer the mixture of blind and 'through' holes, so the second Seafox will be done  differently.

Stuart

• Like 10

A little further along and time for am update

20190619-182548-1.jpg

Float attachment strut work done. I little fiddly but got there in the end.

20190619-182820-1.jpg

Flaps on, another fiddly job done.

20190619-183020-1.jpg

Floats all done, including the rudder control lines.

Things to do:

• Fit gun and observer to rear pit.
  • Make (maybe) replacement rear cockpit glazing and fit.
  • Fit spinner and floats.
  • Fit aerial mast and wire.
  • Mount on sea base.

Stuart

• Like 8