Fairey Seafox (es)...Touch down & DONE

Can't help but tinker with some details.

20190319-200129-1.jpg

Scratch cylinders were painted Aluminium, aa 'oil' wash applied and little dry brushing. Now all cemented behind the intakes.

20190316-221942-1.jpg

Moulded exhaust stacks removed and apertures made for the exhausts. Moulded venturi removed.

20190319-200314-1.jpg

Scrap plastic stuck to the insides, ready to receive exhausts in due course.

20190319-200512-1.jpg

Engine cowlings opened-up. (Sorry for the image)

Stuart

• Like 10

Those cylinders are an excellent improvement. Great technique too. One which I will shamelessly plagiarise urm I mean seek inspiration from, undertake further proof of concept tests, and report my findings back to your good self...:winkgrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is looking very interesting - you're making good progress.

I think the Seafox is a really attractive aeroplane - I don't suppose anyone has ever made a 1:48 kit of one? Vac? Resin?

Keep up the good work and I will follow along if I may?

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2019 at 9:06 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Those cylinders are an excellent improvement.

Thanks Tomo.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, Nickthebrief said:

This is looking very interesting - you're making good progress.

Thanks Nick. AFAIK, nothing in 1/48.

Have been farting about with the crew figures and stuff.

Borrowed from the IWM

large_000000.jpg

I didn't want to use the 'typical' clothing of FAA crew as it is very dark and when 'plonked' into their seats, you wouldn't see them so I looked for an alternative. It just so happens that I stumbled across a recent BM thread about this alternate but can't for the life of me, find it now. After a scan of the WWW and b/w photos, I've came up with this.

20190323-223458-1.jpg

...and I came up with a crew member looking like this, my best guess.

20190323-222425-1.jpg

More happy fellows all geared-up.

20190323-222934-1.jpg

Temporary fitting of crew in their locations.

I was going to knock-up an i/p but experiments with fuselage halves closed and pilot fitted meant that you saw 'diddly squat' so the kit representation of an i'p is staying as-is but I will tackle the observers area though.

Stuart

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

With the Avon Sabre completed and sitting in the cabinet, it's time to turn my main attention back to the Seafoxes.

20190411-200216-1.jpg

Not much but control sticks have been added, as have the headrests that have been 'punched 'out of card. The i/p's are not going to be seen at all, so the i/p faces have been painted black and pilots have been secured in place.

Next stop is to join the fuselage halves.

Stuart

• Like 8

Update...

20190414-144717-1.jpg

Fuselage halves joined together and will be left a while to cure. Overall the joins don't look too bad, nothing a little PPP and tlc can't sort out. The observers pit is still to sort out with a few boxes, the gun and the mount .

20190414-152654-1.jpg

The kits gun is 'pants' and will be replaced by the Mini World option.

20190414-152654-2.jpg

...not much difference eh. The gun mount will need to be scratch built.

20190414-153541-1.jpg

Here is the kit's oil cooler and although was well defined for the 80's, is not by today's standards, so a scratch built option will be made.

It has been said that the cooler should sit in that hollow on the top of the fuselage but as yet, I haven't seen anything to confirm this. Matchbox has moulded this as if the whole thing is metal and if this part is removed to leave just the cooler, what should you see instead, top of the engine maybe and I don't want to go there. Do any of you guys know?

20190414-145040-1.jpg

Float sides have been glued together except the top centre sections as if this was done, a lot of work would have been needed to get the float decks to fit. A little bit of filler and sanding was required on the top forward/ aft sections. Rudder control lines will be fitted, as will the float tow rings on the nose.

20190414-145439-1.jpg

Flaps removed from the top wings. I have made an attempt to reduce the wing ribbing by sanding but not sure if I'm happy with it. I Might remove it all and try that masking/ primer process to get a more realistic ribbing effect. What do you guys think?

20190414-145558-1.jpg

Lower wings still to have there flaps removed and lets not forget the bloody ribbing.

20190414-145800-1.jpg

I'm pointing at what I believe is the landing light and want to replace it but I'm not 100% as to what it should really look like. Can anybody help?

While I wait for some answers, I have lots to get on with.

Stuart 

• Like 6

I don't why how I missed this site, it's full of Sea Foxes!

L4526.jpg

20190415-172943-1.jpg

With this new found source I have found that the oil cooler does indeed sit in a trough. So, measurements were taken from the kit part and a scratch part was made from two different sized vanes sandwiched together, enough for two oil coolers. A coat of metallic paint and a wash should work wonders.

One of the two Seafoxes will be for L4526, and I've noticed that it has an 'extra' engine cowling on each side.

20190415-184819-1.jpg

Openings made on both sides.

20190415-185022-1.jpg

One of the two vents.

20190415-185145-1.jpg

Extra cowl vents fitted.

That 'killed' a few hours this evening.

Stuart

• Like 10

@dogsbody, yes Chris, lots of good stuff.

Something else that I've have noticed is the assembly in the bottom right hand corner of the above pic, 'rear spar attachment also serves as a catapult spool'. One of these aircraft being built belongs to a catapult squadron but their are no bits in the kit. Something else to add to the list maybe, it might have been a standard fit on all Seafoxes? 

Stuart

• Like 1

Looking the business Stuart. All the extra detailing and scratch work is really bringing them to life. Plenty of reference material at hand now. No excuse for missing any of those little vents and further scratch detailing to the nth degree heh heh ;)

Hi Stuart,

This is how I solved the rear gun many years ago.

The brownish light grey is my early attempt on Cerrux Grey - the main reason I was not very happy with the kit in the end.

20190422-DSC-0072.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a little update.

20190501-202828-1.jpg

Oil cooler painted up.

20190501-202402-1.jpg

MiniWorlds Vickers painted up.

20190501-203120-1.jpg

Fairey Hi Speed gun mount built and painted.

The main work is happening on the wings and getting rid of most of the excessive ribbing and looking at possible rigging sequences.

Stuart

• Like 10

A little more done on the Seafoxes.

20190502-203334-1.jpg

Lower wings have had their 'solid' landing lights removed. The recess was painted Interior Green with a blob of liquid chrome for the light itself. A suitable piece of clea sprue was shoehorned into place, filed and buffed. These are now ready for rigging holes to be drilled into them.

20190502-203208-1.jpg

Main wings have had their struts fitted, One has dried overnight and has had filler added and sanded, the other is still in the cement drying stage. Once I'm happy with the filling and sanding, I'll turn my attention to the rigging holes.

Show for now

Stuart

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Very nice double build Stuart. Loving the attention to detail.

Cheers Terry. We're heading towards the rigging holes scenario and I'm not fond of drilling lots of small holes. 

40 minutes ago, Putty Animal said:

You are doing a brilliant job.  

Cheers Putty but in the scale of things, you're FE2b is artizan work.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good! The oil cooler is very satisfying. The Miniworld guns are amazing, but my personal problem with them is how you can actually get to enjoy the detail on the finished model without macro photography...

[edit] the land plane version on the deja vu site looks pretty weird. Maybe Seafox number three?? :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good!

Cheers Adrian. I tend to agree with the Miniworld parts but I just couldn't bring myself to use those kit parts, they were just pants.

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

the land plane version on the deja vu site looks pretty weird. Maybe Seafox number three?? :wicked:

...er :hmmm:, no.

Stuart

• Haha 2

Inclement weather this afternoon has confined me to the cave, ho-hum.

You may have noticed that this build isn't following any particular pattern, it goes where it goes, so back to the floats.

20190504-151644-1.jpg

PE control horns added to the float rudders.

20190504-151857-2.jpg

Mooring rings made from brass wire added to the float noses.

Stuart

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is now primed, time to move forward.

20190514-185613-1.jpg

Attention is now being concentrated on one Seafox until its ready for decals. Here, I thought I'd try a new paint Aluminium paint from MIG and the jury is still out as to whether like it or not. Initially, I had issues from the start as it didn't want to flow, it spat but with a little persuasion, it went on. I thought, it being acrylic, it would dry quickly so I can do the other sides but oh no, I have to leave it, so that's what I'm going to have to do. 

Next obviously, will be to do the other sides and let's not forget the floats, then I might have to rig this 'aquatic' Fox.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 7