1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

I have made a little bit of progress today (but not much as again I have been out in the sunny garden) , the redundant seat slots were filled with white Milliput:

P1010727_zpsrejvpbsl.jpg

On the underside I made pads of filler to give the whole thing some grip after making the slots slightly dovetail in shape:

P1010728_zpsuypxntug.jpg

After the Milliput was set I sanded things flush and applied a finishing smear of Squadron Green Stuff:

P1010731_zps8m6qvbln.jpg

I will sort that lot out in the morning.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

Apologies for the lack of updates but I have been out (again) in the garden enjoying the lovely sunshine we have been having here on the South Coast. Later today I will be setting off to see my friend Anil @azureglo to celebrate his birthday on Saturday and then travelling up to the Midlands to see my mum, dad and sister to celebrate Mother's Day so I don't expect to get much more done before next Monday. Anil has an idea for helping me with the canopy masking and his new fangled masking cutter which I am most intrigued by.

I have cooked for him a lovely collection of some  of my sable cheese biscuits, so here we have mature Cheddar, cayenne pepper and mixed seeds (black and white sesame and poppy seed) and blue cheese, English mustard and salt crusted with a hint of rosemary (which is my own experimental invention):

P1010734_zpsobhojap6.jpg

I hope he does not see this before we meet up and ruin the surprise.

Night night peeps,

Nigel

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Apologies for the lack of updates but I have been out (again) in the garden enjoying the lovely sunshine we have been having here on the South Coast. Later today I will be setting off to see my friend Anil @azureglo to celebrate his birthday on Saturday and then travelling up to the Midlands to see my mum, dad and sister to celebrate Mother's Day so I don't expect to get much more done before next Monday. Anil has an idea for helping me with the canopy masking and his new fangled masking cutter which I am most intrigued by.

I have cooked for him a lovely collection of some  of my sable cheese biscuits, so here we have mature Cheddar, cayenne pepper and mixed seeds (black and white sesame and poppy seed) and blue cheese, English mustard and salt crusted with a hint of rosemary (which is my own experimental invention):

P1010734_zpsobhojap6.jpg

I hope he does not see this before we meet up and ruin the surprise.

Night night peeps,

Nigel

A few less now, BTW having seen the folding seat and various other subminiature  details, this isn't modelling, this is watch making. Nigey's back y'all and he's smoking ( literally...)!!! The canopy and masks on the other oy, for this aircraft  they were? My life!!

Anil

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

Just catching back on things after my lovely stay in Kumar Towers (a remarkably palatial mansion as it turns out). Anil @azureglo was very complimentary on my cheese sables. I am pleased he liked them, I think the universal adoption of home made cheese sables is the way forward and offers a rational solution to the Brexit impasse. Anil was kind enough to offer to make up some custom canopy masks using a combination of his computer wizardry and  2D vinyl cutter. Here we have him slaving under the yolk of white imperialism to produce the perfect result:

P1010735_zpsyuxmujd4.jpg

He traced the framing onto masking tape and will use these to come up with the finished masks:

P1010736_zpsbjl2p3o9.jpg

I have left the main canopy with him to finish the task.

Anil was very kind in giving me one of the treasured kits from his extensive stash:

P1010738_zpst88zxd5k.jpg

P1010739_zpsyzo2ch0c.jpg

Looks right up my Straße and hope to add it to the build pile soon.

I am also pleased to report that in my absence the replacement decals arrived on Friday:

P1010741_zpshleciix8.jpg

I just have to sort out the delivery of the PE seat belts now which is proving to be something of a problem.

Dinner tonight was simple egg and chips but one of the eggs was a massive goose egg collected from my visit to mum and dads farm today, the smaller egg is one from a hen for comparison:

P1010737_zps1d1ug1sv.jpg

I hope you liked that. Tomorrow is a free day so hope to achieve a little more progress after the regular domestic tasks.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Looks like we should all pay a visit to Kumar Towers if you come away with free gifts and get your canopy masks custom made ;) .

Glad to see that your replacement decals turned up Nigel, no stopping you now!

Can't beat a plate of egg and chips, that goose egg looks fantastic. I trust a healthy portion of bread and butter was consumed with that lot.

Gone really hungry now!!

• Haha 3

A visit to Kumar Towers is recommended but it is strictly by invitation only. Free kits and custom masking sets are only available to those on the most inner of sanctums. I suggest a well worded and polite PM to Anil @azureglo might just unlock the key to this magical world.

• Haha 3

As ever, I am always happy to provide on the catering front. I do get quite good reviews on Trip Advisor for my efforts. I will try to negotiate with Anil on the small tour groups idea, sounds like fun.

• Haha 2

Meh, I went to Alton Towers, was way more fun and it wasn't cluttered with airbrushes and hundred of kits like Kumar Towers...Am finishing off the masks tomorrow Nigel , had my year end accounts this week 😞. PS Minnie likes the unseeded cheese sables better, little furball ate both of mine when I answered a call...😼

Anil

• Like 2

I know from personal exposure that Kumar Towers is far more impressive and palatial than the modest Alton variety which is just frankly a hollow shell - although it has to be said that I did grow up but a stone's throw from there so am rather fond of the place - love that model railway. There are definitely far fewer airbrushes and kits to be found there which in my book makes it a far poorer environment. Many thanks on the work on the masks, it is much appreciated, it is not critical but I could do with the canopy back fairly soon. I am much pleased that Minnie liked the blue cheese sables, she it clearly a fan of saltiness.

I have got a bit more done this afternoon, I started by trying to work out how all the floor detailing worked, I thought it would be related to the cabin sidewall ribbing but it seams to a follow a logic all of it's own. For what I am going to henceforward calling the floor "ring pulls" I had an idea that I could use some of the vintage PE from this Reheat Models instrument bezels set of which I have two fairly intact examples:

P1010746_zpslubytou6.jpg

I had probably better show you the main reference photos I have been using for this:

ch-46e_hmm-764_095_of_110.jpg

ch-46e_hmm-764_094_of_110.jpg

These two old faithfuls were also quite relevant:

ch-46e_hmm-764_088_of_110.jpg

ch-46e_hmm-764_099_of_110.jpg

I applied two parallel strips of Dymo tape to the floor, mainly as end stops for the scribing but they also proved to be a useful guide for my set square:

P1010747_zpstmp3crk0.jpg

I used a 0.5mm drill as a pilot for the ring pull recesses, getting them centered and aligned in the process:

P1010748_zpsirkdonhd.jpg

After enlarging the holes with 1.2mm and then finishing with the required 1.5mm drill I was able to deburr the holes and then add the first ring pull to see how things went in the least visible position:

P1010750_zpsa4wf4yoi.jpg

Looks good to me, I will crack on with the rest of them in the morning.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

I have been having a bit of a think about the cabin seat for this build and know that of course they are quite similar to the seats I made for my Flying Banana build back in  2013 and have excavated the photos to see how I did it, starting first with a little sketch (as ever):

P1040235_zps4b62c9ff.jpg&key=b39b35b3f6b

Legs for these made like so:

P1040237_zps74cc5479.jpg

Bearers made from 0.8mm rod:

P1040238_zpscb506856.jpg

Seat legs and bearers ready for assembly:

P1040239_zps3aa97975.jpg&key=6e300af4dfc

Bearers and legs soldered together:

P1040242_zps29c60021.jpg&key=afc361da974

Other leg added like so:

P1040243_zps90905213.jpg&key=4d151f0bb20

Finished sub-assembly:

P1040244_zps0f9c0ceb.jpg&key=8ecc4518eb7

Two seats made and diagonal braces added:

P1040248_zps819b4979.jpg&key=65de0d41426

Starting to make the lead foil covering:

P1040251_zps258a1e87.jpg&key=04afb969d92

P1040252_zpsa62437f3.jpg&key=2dfbb904fb0

P1040253_zpsffc379ad.jpg&key=c0d0e4404f0

Hmm, this is how I used the Eduard PE seat backs:

P1040265_zpsc66c0867.jpg&key=5569da68c62

Anyway, after a bit of painting I seemed to have ended up with this as a result of my efforts:

P1050051_zps19479d76.jpg&key=3bb8864dbb8

That old cutting  mat has long since gone to landfill but I think the rest of things are pretty much OK.

The  steat still looks good to me, I will make something like them for this build and you know there may be just a bit more improved soldering techniques and technology. 

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Here is a bit more progress on the cabin floor, all of the ring pulls are now installed:

P1010751_zpsbx97vrk6.jpg

For the tie down rings I first annealed a length of 0.3mm brass rod and then wrapped it round a 0.6mm drill:

P1010753_zpsvz2ptdnj.jpg

Trimmed to size I then soldered the ring using this set up:

P1010752_zps0pmlwn41.jpg

For the floor compartment hinges my plan was to use these Archer raised panel lines so a length was extracted:

P1010754_zpsrriar0ft.jpg

I have had those decals for quite a few years and it is nice to get some use out of them.

Here are the two hinges in place along with the first tie down ring:

P1010755_zpsonz2v5pu.jpg

I just have to make and fit six more of the tie down rings and I think the floor will finished.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

OK, a little bit more before bedtime, all of the six more tie down rings have been added plus I have started to use my Mission Models 1mm chisel to add the recesses (presumably grab holds for the hinged covers) to the floor:

P1010757_zpszwpmlmhe.jpg

I used a Tamiya cotton bud and some IPA to remove the worst of the pen and pencil marks. I also reinforced the bonding of the Archer decals with some extra thin super glue - they do not bond well to bare plastic, even when fairly well roughed up as here - I will be hard applying masking tape to them later and really don't want any disasters.

Here with a bit of oblique lighting I  think we have the cabin floor more or less finished:

P1010758_zpsh9a5kfg7.jpg

However, those roller tracks have been preying on my mind, they look nothing like the real thing. I will look into replacing them with some dinky aluminium rollers - it may not worth the trip but it will be considered.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

All looking very impressive in your interior, Nigel.

Great idea to do it this way. I will have to remember this for future reference, as helicopters more often than not seem to fly around with the doors open.  

• Like 1

I have made quite good progress today but it started with some destruction. I think this lump at the top of the bulkhead is supposed to be a representation of the winch but it's in the wrong place and will interfere with the retracted upper door so it has to go:

P1010759_zpsvi0oniso.jpg

I think I will scratch build a more accurate version and put it in the correct place. As a reminder this is where it should be in relation to the retracted upper door:

boeing_vertol_ch-46_sea_knight_walkaroun

After filling the hole left by the winch removal with white Milliput, I turned my attention to the front of the cockpit. First  I added the lightening holes thus:

P1010760_zpslbkjgnjm.jpg

I haven't found any pictures of this area so I'm basically just copying what @milktrip did on his build.

Again pretty much copying what Aaron did, I started on the fabrication of the IP support by making a cardboard template:

P1010761_zpsvf6jri0c.jpg

A search in one of my scrap boxes located a piece of 0.95mm card that was once going to be the replacement cockpit floor on my Helix build:

P1010762_zpskglhfnkg.jpg

Cut out with a combination of scissors and knife action the part was then refined on the model:

P1010763_zpsqprjo7ni.jpg

That was then turned into the master for the cutting and shaping of the second part.

I needed three internal reinforcement pieces, the end stop on my mitre box is ideal for producing identical multiples like this: 

P1010764_zpsvihawxwy.jpg

I used 2.5mm square Evergreen strip for the reinforcements but realized they would block some of the lightening holes in the side pieces so cut off some heavy chamfers on the corners and got the first two added like so:

P1010765_zpsvncsewxy.jpg

Here is the finished structure:

P1010766_zpsbcgxredw.jpg

The final job before bath and dinner time was to fill the ejector marks on the back of the IP, clean up the nasty gate marks and sand off the pips on top of the coaming which I have decided are defects and don't represent anything in reality:

P1010767_zpsevbepuz0.jpg

I think the next job with be fabrication the cyclic controls.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

I think the rollers would be a step too far

I have come to much the same conclusion, not only would the "ladder rung" features have to be removed but the existing trough is not deep enough and it would be a heck of a job deepen that. 

• Like 2

I have a bit more to report before bed time. I made a start on the racking shelves next to the cabin corridor by drilling some 0.5mm holes and then bending some 0.5mm brass rod in situ with round nose pliers:

P1010769_zpsmpnlld4u.jpg

After a bit more manipulation I had the shelf surround:

P1010770_zpse41sbtmg.jpg

I then tried to solder on a thin brass sheet shelf using this setup but heat sink effect was too great for my soldering iron:

P1010771_zps3nb6zpxc.jpg

I think my iron should easily be able to do this, examining things I have come to the conclusion that my soldering iron bit is worn out, it has thinned down and can't deliver enough heat, and needs replacing. I do poses new bits but like most of my stuff they are in storage so will have to buy some new ones before proceeding with this. I also have to reorder the seatbelts as the supplier I ordered them form has said they don't know when they will be getting more in stock.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Looks like your soldering iron has seen some service Nigel! Hopefully you can get a replacement bit soon as we all look forward to your modelling/engineering masterclasses with it.

The shelf racking and surround looks like it will be just as good as everything else you have done.

• Like 1

Yes, my poor old iron bit has almost completely corroded through. I got a new set of bits (and PE seat belts) on order last night and should have them by the end of the week.

• Like 2