This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Nigel Heath

1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

After cleaning up the seams on the rotor blades and hubs the first bit of detailing I did was to drill out the lightening holes on the hubs, 0.6, 0.7 and 0.8mm holes fitted the bill. Three times three blades times two rotors equaled 18 holes in total:

P1020036_zps7ndl7eiq.jpg

With that done I assembled both rotors:

P1020037_zps6e2a6i8f.jpg

And unlike the instructions they do actually intend to turn in different directions.

In case anyone has any issues with my file work in creating the slots on the front pylons, the real slots can be pretty wobbly in real life, check this out:

ch-46e_hmm-764_052_of_110.jpg

I think my efforts on the slots actually flatter the reality.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Another good detail catch there Nigel, also good that you've got the rotors turning in opposite directions otherwise it would make for a very interesting, but short, flight.

Last night I got a bit more done, the mounting pins for the rotors are meant to be trapped between the fuselage halves by this flange on their lower end:

P1020038_zpsfopmvwo9.jpg

I like the rotors to be able to rotate but would prefer it if they could be just dropped into place so set about removing the flange with snips:

P1020039_zpsbea71uhc.jpg

Fully cleaned up, this is how it will sit in it's mounting:

P1020047_zpsxqovvlai.jpg

Tonight, straight after getting back from work I broke out the airbrush and, not bothering with primer, applied some matt black to the inside of the rear pylon. Here with all the masking removed:

P1020042_zpsm34irid0.jpg

Prior to that I had applied white primer to the oil tank and these rotor parts which will require a coat of dayglo orange at some point. I also primed the drive shaft "covers" and applied Alclad "Dark Aluminium" followed by "Exhaust Manifold" and the finishing with "Burnt Iron". By that time the white primer was dry so I applied some yellow to the tank: 

P1020043_zpsjlejuv48.jpg

After dinner all the paint was nicely dry so I got on with installing the drive shafts and their end plates. It is but a barely glimpsed thing in the exhaust openings but worth the effort I think:

P1020044_zpsmfja0ae0.jpg

The next job to be ticked off the list was the cabin windows, following Oliver's advice I first ran a black permanent marker round the window apertures to represent the rubber sealing:

P1020045_zpscwxuvkzg.jpg

My prefered method for installing glazing is to use five minute, clear epoxy, I thought I might be able to install two windows at a time and set up accordingly. However by about three minutes the glue was past its best so I will be making a fresh mix for each pane, eight in total then. It's going to wreak havoc with my stocks of milk bottle tops!  (Actually I have hundreds). Here is the first one done:

P1020046_zps46lpcmbg.jpg

After, a bit of a lie down I will get on with the rest.

Bye for now

Nigel

The windows going in and the exhausts done, this can mean only one thing, we are close to closing up the fuselage!!!!!!!!!!!

Fancy using paint without primer, that rally is living your life on the edge Nigel.

All good solid progress Nigel, and nice work too.

Fancy using paint without primer, that really is living your life on the edge Nigel.

Well, I felt it was a rather non-critical area and could live a little dangerously...

Tonight I have continued with the cabin windows. These were about the smallest dabs of 2K epoxy I could extrude from the tubes:

P1020049_zpsfgn9ydme.jpg

With one mix per window there was probably about an 80% wastage but never mind.

You know it always pays to check your references, the photo on the decal instructions isn't up to much as reference sources go but it does clearly show that the bubble window is the second one back:

P1020051_zpsuwu6qjcr.jpg

So the individually numbered windows have to be swapped as follows:

P1020050_zpsqg58axu6.jpg

There appear to various permutations out there, bubble windows in different positions and different multiples of them, this Canadian version has three per side for example:

Boeing-Vertol%20CH113%20Labrador%2011301

Here are all the windows from the outside:

P1020052_zps1hnxodye.jpg

And from the inside along with all the milk bottle tops that nobly gave their life for this worthy cause:

P1020053_zpscvnubwen.jpg

More eagle eyed viewers may have noticed that two of the ribs have snapped off. They are not lost but are in safe keeping, there's no point in trying to fix them until imminently before the fuselage is ready for closure. I might now have a go at fitting the cabin floor and cockpit assembly, wish me luck.

Bye for now,

Nigel

OK, the last job of tonight was to get the cabin floor / cockpit assembly installed in the LHS fuselage side using a combination of CA, liquid poly and liquid cement so this should be a very permanent fix:

P1020054_zpse01qsz1y.jpg

I will leave that to fully harden up overnight ready for more work tomorrow.

Bye till then,

Nigel

Good catch with the windows Nigel, HobbyBoss really messed up with their instructions there didn't they.

Great to see the cabin being fitted in place, we all know what the next step is!!

There are just a few jobs to complete before the fuselage can be closed up, the first was to get the various lead wire cables installed:

P1020056_zpst80zl8r8.jpg

Next the cabin seat:

P1020057_zpsi1c428np.jpg

All that was a bit of a struggle.

I then did a check that the two fuselage halves would now actually mate up, it seemed they would with a bit of persuasion:

P1020058_zpsc5dvk65n.jpg

There are also a couple of painting jobs to be completed too, somehow the little hinge pivot for the fold down seat has been left behind and still needs a coat of paint (I had thought maybe I had lost it but it was still there in it's safekeeping tub). The oil tank also needs  masking and a coat of grey:

P1020059_zpsetmrod5u.jpg

So when those jobs are done and the seat and oil tank are fitted - oh and also a coat of matt varnish applied - the fuselage can finally be closed up.

Hopefully that will happen on Friday.

Bye for now,

Nigel

The cables do look very effective Nigel and certainly add to the effect of the interior.

It looks like the fuselage halves should go together without too many issues Nigel and its very handy that any top seem is covered by the drive shaft cover that runs the length of the fuselage.