1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

After cleaning up the seams on the rotor blades and hubs the first bit of detailing I did was to drill out the lightening holes on the hubs, 0.6, 0.7 and 0.8mm holes fitted the bill. Three times three blades times two rotors equaled 18 holes in total:

P1020036_zps7ndl7eiq.jpg

With that done I assembled both rotors:

P1020037_zps6e2a6i8f.jpg

And unlike the instructions they do actually intend to turn in different directions.

In case anyone has any issues with my file work in creating the slots on the front pylons, the real slots can be pretty wobbly in real life, check this out:

ch-46e_hmm-764_052_of_110.jpg

I think my efforts on the slots actually flatter the reality.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Last night I got a bit more done, the mounting pins for the rotors are meant to be trapped between the fuselage halves by this flange on their lower end:

P1020038_zpsfopmvwo9.jpg

I like the rotors to be able to rotate but would prefer it if they could be just dropped into place so set about removing the flange with snips:

P1020039_zpsbea71uhc.jpg

Fully cleaned up, this is how it will sit in it's mounting:

P1020047_zpsxqovvlai.jpg

Tonight, straight after getting back from work I broke out the airbrush and, not bothering with primer, applied some matt black to the inside of the rear pylon. Here with all the masking removed:

P1020042_zpsm34irid0.jpg

Prior to that I had applied white primer to the oil tank and these rotor parts which will require a coat of dayglo orange at some point. I also primed the drive shaft "covers" and applied Alclad "Dark Aluminium" followed by "Exhaust Manifold" and the finishing with "Burnt Iron". By that time the white primer was dry so I applied some yellow to the tank: 

P1020043_zpsjlejuv48.jpg

After dinner all the paint was nicely dry so I got on with installing the drive shafts and their end plates. It is but a barely glimpsed thing in the exhaust openings but worth the effort I think:

P1020044_zpsmfja0ae0.jpg

The next job to be ticked off the list was the cabin windows, following Oliver's advice I first ran a black permanent marker round the window apertures to represent the rubber sealing:

P1020045_zpscwxuvkzg.jpg

My prefered method for installing glazing is to use five minute, clear epoxy, I thought I might be able to install two windows at a time and set up accordingly. However by about three minutes the glue was past its best so I will be making a fresh mix for each pane, eight in total then. It's going to wreak havoc with my stocks of milk bottle tops!  (Actually I have hundreds). Here is the first one done:

P1020046_zps46lpcmbg.jpg

After, a bit of a lie down I will get on with the rest.

Bye for now

Nigel

• Like 4

Fancy using paint without primer, that really is living your life on the edge Nigel.

Well, I felt it was a rather non-critical area and could live a little dangerously...

Tonight I have continued with the cabin windows. These were about the smallest dabs of 2K epoxy I could extrude from the tubes:

P1020049_zpsfgn9ydme.jpg

With one mix per window there was probably about an 80% wastage but never mind.

You know it always pays to check your references, the photo on the decal instructions isn't up to much as reference sources go but it does clearly show that the bubble window is the second one back:

P1020051_zpsuwu6qjcr.jpg

So the individually numbered windows have to be swapped as follows:

P1020050_zpsqg58axu6.jpg

There appear to various permutations out there, bubble windows in different positions and different multiples of them, this Canadian version has three per side for example:

Boeing-Vertol%20CH113%20Labrador%2011301

Here are all the windows from the outside:

P1020052_zps1hnxodye.jpg

And from the inside along with all the milk bottle tops that nobly gave their life for this worthy cause:

P1020053_zpscvnubwen.jpg

More eagle eyed viewers may have noticed that two of the ribs have snapped off. They are not lost but are in safe keeping, there's no point in trying to fix them until imminently before the fuselage is ready for closure. I might now have a go at fitting the cabin floor and cockpit assembly, wish me luck.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

OK, the last job of tonight was to get the cabin floor / cockpit assembly installed in the LHS fuselage side using a combination of CA, liquid poly and liquid cement so this should be a very permanent fix:

P1020054_zpse01qsz1y.jpg

I will leave that to fully harden up overnight ready for more work tomorrow.

Bye till then,

Nigel

• Like 4

There are just a few jobs to complete before the fuselage can be closed up, the first was to get the various lead wire cables installed:

P1020056_zpst80zl8r8.jpg

Next the cabin seat:

P1020057_zpsi1c428np.jpg

All that was a bit of a struggle.

I then did a check that the two fuselage halves would now actually mate up, it seemed they would with a bit of persuasion:

P1020058_zpsc5dvk65n.jpg

There are also a couple of painting jobs to be completed too, somehow the little hinge pivot for the fold down seat has been left behind and still needs a coat of paint (I had thought maybe I had lost it but it was still there in it's safekeeping tub). The oil tank also needs  masking and a coat of grey:

P1020059_zpsetmrod5u.jpg

So when those jobs are done and the seat and oil tank are fitted - oh and also a coat of matt varnish applied - the fuselage can finally be closed up.

Hopefully that will happen on Friday.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

The cables do look very effective Nigel and certainly add to the effect of the interior.

It looks like the fuselage halves should go together without too many issues Nigel and its very handy that any top seem is covered by the drive shaft cover that runs the length of the fuselage.

• Like 1

I had the chance to get a little airbrushing done tonight. I masked the oil tank with some 1mm discs of punched masking tape and then after applying some metal primer to the seat pivot, followed by some Alclad grey primer to both I then finished them with some interior grey. Here is how they looked after the discs of masking had been removed from the tank: 

P1020060_zpsaxxxr0s8.jpg

After dinner the paint was dry so I installed the oil tank just using some forgiving Gator Grip glue. Glue was hardly necessary but it felt like the right thing to do:

P1020061_zpsya1td4cw.jpg

Next, if I am going to be spraying the interior with matt varnish clearly the windows need to be masked. 8mm squares of masking tape fitted the bill:

P1020062_zpsdn3iqc98.jpg

Also I want to prevent varnish from getting on the joint lines so those were also masked with a combination of 1mm tape, other tape and Blu Tack:

P1020064_zpswzcxcvbz.jpg

I think I just have to reinstall the broken ribs and then the drop down seat and then can get the varnish applied. Fuselage close up is looking like a dead cert for tomorrow (Friday).

Bye for now, 

Nigel

• Like 5

Indeed.

This afternoon I thought: get the drop down seat installed and those broken ribs sorted, no problem. It was all going to be so easy. When I got home from work I set about fitting the seat, after many frustrating efforts and about four hours I gave up on it being a working feature and superglued the darn thing in place. I also (quickly) got the broken ribs sorted:

P1020065_zpszwj4f7q4.jpg

After a few minor paint touch ups everything is now ready for that coat of matt varnish so I will be able to (finally) close up the fuselage in the morning.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

Please let me take you off the tenterhooks. The first job of the day was to apply a nice coat of W&N Galeria matt varnish: 

P1020066_zpsh0rimcg3.jpg

The RHS exhaust pipe partially detached somewhere in the process hence the fresh super glue.

After removing all the masking the fuselage halves were united. Liquid cement in the pin locators and between the bulkheads, super glue on the bulkheads, floors and ribs, finishing off with progressive application of liquid poly round the external seams - you know the routine:

P1020067_zpscmvuqfya.jpg

Fuselage close up is always a bit fraught and this one was not without its issues, there is this quite big gap on the underside which refused to close up:

P1020068_zpse11kwxpm.jpg

Nothing a bit of Milliput won't sort out I'm sure.

The worst issue however was the windows, this bubble window came out entirely and two others are loose:

P1020069_zpsduo4rw7l.jpg

A bit of a pain but hopefully not the end of the world as there is some decent access with the tail doors still off.

One of the next jobs will to be to fit the engine intakes, here just resting in place:

P1020070_zpsawzpdaal.jpg

The kit provides some conical intakes to fit over those hollow mounting points but they don't look anything the one reference picture I have from the decals:

P1020071_zpslvw2cjiw.jpg

Does anyone have a better picture of what they should look like?

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 2

Yay!! The fuselage is together!! Well mostly anyway, that does look like a nasty gap at the bottom of the front fuselage but as you say Nigel hopefully you will be able to get it sorted.

I don't have any better pictures of "Madonna's bra" as Richard ( @spruecutter ) has christened them, if you're lucky you will find a picture of your aircraft without them, like I did :) .

• Like 1

The gap won't cause any serious issues, maybe a bit of stretched sprue to bridge the worst of it and then some Milliput I think. I intend that to be the last job I do today so it can all harden up overnight. 

From what I can work out the "Madonna's bra" on my machine should look like this, a conical mesh affair:

boeing_vertol_ch-46_sea_knight_walkaroun

I have an idea that they could be fabricated from some more superfine tea bag mesh. Could be tricky and I will have a further ponder on that concept.

So, I think the truncated cones provided by the kit are meant to represent mesh over the engine intakes. Something like this:

Boeing-Vertol%20CH113%20Labrador%2011301

Well maybe not like that, maybe something like this:

ch-46e_hmm-764_008_of_110.jpg

Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. So I felt that the kit inlets needed some modification. I started by sawing off the mounting rings:

P1020072_zpsxjmr3n2u.jpg

I then drilled out the inlets, much as I abhor imperial measurements I did this with a 1/8" drill: 

P1020073_zpslpxqqdc8.jpg

My thinking was to add some engine bullets to the intakes but first I needed something to mount them on. Another piece of black card would fit the bill after I drew a scale drawing of the part required:

P1020074_zpsf2tzgzyp.jpg

That was then cut out with minimal wastage:

P1020075_zpsv762zxwv.jpg

With a bit more trimming and grinding flat the ends of the exhaust tubes here's how it looked when fitted:

P1020076_zpseb5e2jrm.jpg

I then made and fitted some engine bullets using 1.25mm plastic rod:

P1020078_zps7znofrpk.jpg

P1020079_zpsg8sg7yai.jpg

I decided that would need painting before proceeding much further so I got things masked up for that:

P1020080_zpsa45zjswq.jpg

P1020081_zpsiitchqex.jpg

I also brush painted some matt black on the card before installing the painted inlet part:

P1020082_zpso2m74vuo.jpg

While all that was going on I also sorted out the missing and lose windows. The bubble window was the one missing earlier, now restored, the adjacent one also fell out, here mounted up on the tool I made to get them reinstated:

P1020077_zpsil9zuakk.jpg

All a right pain but at least doable.

Next the main rotor drive shaft cover, MM Is right this makes light work of sorting out the upper fuselage seam. It does however have this blade aerial moulded in which does not appear on my machine so has to go:

P1020083_zpsh0lk5v9s.jpg

Here it is fitted along with the removed aerial:

P1020084_zpsogez8fit.jpg

Next I think I will be filling all the seams and I need to get the canopy sorted - quite a lot of work there actually.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Ok, a bit more done before bed time. Whilst going round filling the seams I came across these bumps which are supposed to represent lamps:

P1020085_zpsmtoxmyup.jpg

Well done to Hobby Boss for having a go but I think these will be better represented with some clear red painted sprue.

With those bumps removed the whole seam could be filled:

P1020093_zpsu80jefcy.jpg

I filled up to the big gap on the underside:

P1020086_zpsurbryrwr.jpg

Some stretched sprue nicely sorted out the worst of that, I also removed the bumps here as I think they can be better represented:

P1020087_zpscci9zk8p.jpg

An application of Squadron Green will, I'm sure sort that out further.

Now the canopy, first some reference shots on what I received it back from Anil:

P1020088_zpsk90eb3ps.jpg

P1020089_zpscojcxrhp.jpg

P1020090_zpsqrcirpud.jpg

The first job is to remove the horrible moulded in wipers:

P1020091_zpsau7fy4pz.jpg

But first I made a dimensioned sketch of what they looked like:

P1020094_zpsijc8z3rs.jpg

The worst of the wipers were knifed off:

P1020092_zpsceqkd4lu.jpg

Then using a new blade the remainder was azed off:

P1020095_zpsdveaxcp2.jpg

That will now need polishing back to optical clarity with Micromesh, a job for the morning now.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

I'm always a bit hesitant of doing such work in case I can't polish it back to clarity. 

I agree, it's always a worry bead that things won't come out as hoped, however this one has come up well after a liberal application of Micromesh:

P1020096_zpsbidygowh.jpg

Often a coat of Klear is called for but seems unnecessary in this case.

The first job on the now polished canopy was to drill a 0.4mm hole in the central paine for this rod probe thing:

ch-46e_hmm-764_050_of_110.jpg

P1020097_zpsu6srvkzp.jpg

The next job was to get the canopy masked up using a combination of Anil's efforts, some of the aftermarket set and some made by me. Then I added a little rectangle of the clear green film (also kindly supplied by Anil) using Gator Grip:

P1020098_zpsvltfm2l9.jpg

That is for these landing lights, blue on this example (others I have seen are clear):

ch-46e_hmm-764_025_of_110.jpg

While that was drying I started on making the quite prominent blade aerial on the cabin roof using some fairly thick brass sheet:

P1020099_zpsw1jtjw4b.jpg

Here's how that looked after being cleaned up and temporarily fixed in a stitch drilled slot:

P1020100_zpsh6zz4kv8.jpg

P1020101_zpsd1rvoufr.jpg

Things were still drying on the canopy so I took this photo of the underside of the rear end before closing it up with the cargo doors and it disappears forever:

P1020102_zpsmk2oife9.jpg

Note the bit of structural Blu Tack in there.

On the cargo doors I mainly used liquid cement rather than liquid poly to try to preserve the crisp shut lines, here taped up while drying:

P1020105_zpsdm2thf1b.jpg

For the landing lights I mounted up some 2mm Little Cars lenses on a rectangle of black card:

P1020103_zpsu9h0dtiv.jpg

That assembly was then fixed in place using a generous dab of Gator Grip:

P1020104_zpsrqkw8yvu.jpg

One of the last jobs on the canopy was to drill some more 0.4mm holes for the rear view mirrors to mount into:

P1020107_zpsn09icptg.jpg

I am mainly copying the excellent work by @modelling minion here as I haven't found a decent picture of the actual mirrors.

I think the final job on the canopy was to drill out and shape these recesses  that Hobby Boss missed:

P1020108_zps3g6lh5qp.jpg

They were finished off with an application of Humbrol liquid poly to smooth things out and polish them up. The Gator Grip is still drying but once it is I will get the canopy fitted.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Isn't it supposed to be us copying your build rather than you copying ours ? :) I'm flattered that you would consider anything I've done worth copying.

Finding detail pics on anything on a KV-107 is surprisingly hard, you would have thought that Japanese modellers would have crawled all over them and photographed everything.

The canopy has come up rather nicely hasn't it, thank goodness, and the masks look like they will work very well.

• Like 1

I'm flattered that you would consider anything I've done worth copying.

Not at all, your work looks excellent to my eye and it has given me ideas for a few more added details that I need to attend to.

• Like 1

Continuing with the the theme of closing up areas to prevent sanding dust / paint ingress I blocked off the oil tank slot with a combination of foam and tape:

P1020106_zpsoarjrhek.jpg

A fit check with the canopy revealed that my addition of the landing light assembly had created a foul condition, this was relieved by filing away some of the console floor area: 

P1020110_zpsgryzz73b.jpg

With things almost ready for adding the canopy I thought I would take a shot of the cockpit before most of it's detail is lost forever:

P1020111_zpsh6zjoaoa.jpg

The last job was to retouch some of the matt black including a coat on the newly filed area (probably not strictly necessary but it pleased me to have it sorted):

P1020112_zpsvljnb7an.jpg

With everything ready I mixed up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and applied that the the more vertical surfaces of the canopy opening, then wriggled it into place (it is a well fitting piece). I then applied liquid poly to the horizontal joints. I tried clamping with some tape but in the end decided there was no substitute for human applied finger pressure. I worried over the thing for a good ten minutes until things seemed to have settled: 

P1020113_zpscawamnox.jpg

Next I think I will block off the cabin door and then with pretty much all of the interior closed off get to work on sanding all the filled seams.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5