1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

cellulose thinner? Sure of that, that's aggressive stuff... especially on the sealings..

Agreed, this is a little bit of a worry bead. There is one O ring in there and I am hoping it comes out OK. If not I do have two replacements...

On 4/30/2019 at 1:28 PM, Silenoz said:

cellulose thinner? Sure of that, that's aggressive stuff... especially on the sealings...

Not really if you have have the right kit: Professional sprayers  shoot and clean with cellulose based solvents  daily using things like this to clean their kit. The seals are PTFE and VITON in pro kit like the H&S/Iwata et al and can even take acetone without a problem. On the other hand a  $9.99 Chinese cheapie will not fare so well.

I strip soak and ultrasonically clean my H&S airbrushes after every session using using gun wash ( very cheap cellulose thinner not fit for spraying apparently) that I pilfer from the car restoration company I part own- no problems and everything works perfectly every time, but then  again I only spray using Mr Leveling/any other cellulose thinner if I'm feeling cheap and have done for years.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Paint!!  :yahoo:

At last, good news Nigel, just got in some candy flake tangerine, I'll pop down over the weekend and give it blast then shove it on one of of my magnetic pole stands- don't worry I'll close all the doors first so no one can see at the weird mess you've made inside with soldering irons,  🤣

Anil

PS While you're deep cleaning the Evo, Infinity pop in new seals/o-rings, works wonders if yours are tired- I assume you've got the triple needle seal?

• Like 4

I assume you've got the triple needle seal?

No, I've just got the seal that came with the brush. I will have a think about the investment.

This afternoon I retrieved my brush from the celulose bath and started to give it a deep clean. The nozzle assembly had been locked solid but came apart with minimal effort after it's week long immersion. I have never cleaned the back trigger area of my brush and was amazed at the amount of junk that came out

P1010896_zpscuxhtsep.jpg

That explains why the trigger was not springing back properly.

I even got some use out of a set of cleaning brushes that I have had for years but never found a use for them before. I also used these interdental cleaners which are ideal for cleaning out nozzles. Anyway after a bit of effort my airbrush is looking like new:

P1010897_zpsoamzbbxw.jpg

Another bit of maintenance work I had done was on one of my airbrush cleaning stands. The rubber grommet that holds the brush was lose so I soaked it in white spirit for the week to get the rubber to swell:

P1010898_zpsxznwlhsj.jpg

Right, I was now nearly ready to start painting but before that I degreased the seat padding with the fish eyes using a fine cotton bud and IPA and gave it a light  bit of abrasion, here it is after a second coat of white primer:

P1010899_zpsy9t5whwu.jpg

Much better.

Then I switched to grey primer. The first part I painted was the inner face of the cabin door. That way by the time I had gone round all the other parts it was dry enough to remount and spray the outside:

P1010900_zps4lszdqfb.jpg

So here are all the interior parts with primer:

P1010901_zps4aqdh3xw.jpg

I will give everything a check over in the morning and then it's onto interior colour coats.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

I actually got a bit more done last night. Upon inspecting the primed parts I spotted that this 0.5mm longitudinal had snapped. I had made it using some old plastic which was brittle with age - I was aware of this but though I would get away with it:

P1010903_zps6v9fafdr.jpg

Never mind, it was not much trouble to replace it with some new, tougher plastic, I also applied some PPP filer to the ribs where there had been some small holes:

P1010904_zpspmtcadc3.jpg

I also got all the parts ready for their top coats so this morning I was straight into applying them using my set up in the garden. The colours I applied were FS17875 white (slightly creamy), Madder red on the seats and matt black:

P1010905_zpsfhhcfj1p.jpg

While they were drying I had a look at the exhausts, I wasn't happy with the shape and definitely not happy with the blanked off appearance: 

P1010906_zpsnmmwsnhe.jpg

The ones on this machine should look more like this:

Boeing-Vertol%20CH113%20Labrador%2011301

The first job was to razor saw off the offending articles:

P1010908_zpskdsfas6n.jpg

My starting point for the replacement exhausts was to cut some 6mm brass tube at an angle:

P1010907_zps7l8dtjqx.jpg

Next for the ducting I opened up some thick wall plastic tubing:

P1010909_zpsqduwvgh1.jpg

I then used my spirit burner to bend it to something not quite a right angle:

P1010910_zpszujhonsp.jpg

I then razor sawed off the stub to reveal the chunky interior:

P1010911_zpsvnl48bvx.jpg

Back to the exhausts, after cleaning up and thinning the wall thickness I hack sawed off a short length at the same angle as the first cut:

P1010912_zpsvriuux5s.jpg

That was then cleaned up and the required hole marked up like so:

P1010913_zpsqmnj2pd2.jpg

Drilling of that commenced with a 3mm pilot hole:

P1010914_zpsjeuywyzy.jpg

After much filing and sanding action I had a nice snug fit in the correct place, I also at this point removed the last traces of the kit exhaust:

P1010915_zpsjiuwm3x4.jpg

On the inside it is pretty much flush with the fuselage:

P1010916_zpsi8ts959y.jpg

By this time the black paint had nicely dried in the sunshine so I masked up for the cargo roller tracks:

P1010917_zpsxwmkhfnu.jpg

This is how those came out:

P1010918_zpsbulpylre.jpg

I tried various shades of Alclad aluminium, eventually settling on "white aluminium"".

Being Alclad that was soon dry and I then masked up for the grey on the bulkheads:

P1010919_zpserze6nrr.jpg

Before I applied that I finished off both of the exhausts, gluing them in place with regular super glue:

P1010920_zpscrti3dmo.jpg

The final job before dinner was to apply the FS366376 grey:

P1010921_zpsgzfxyvbl.jpg

Not a bad day's progress. Airbrushing wise the interior is now finished, there are few other paint and decal jobs to sort but those should not take long so hopefully will be completing the assembly of the interior tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

You have been busy haven't you Nigel.

For some reason some of the pics on your post above aren't showing on my pc in thee thread but by clicking on their links I can still see them and can see that you have made a great job on replacing the exhaust.

Nice work on the interior, by the looks of things you should be getting the fuselage halves together before too long.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with pictures in last night's post, I had to repost them three times before they worked. I suspect it's something to do with the new site.

• Like 1

Last night I did get a bit more done after dinner. First I removed all the masking:

P1010923_zpsu5mytd7n.jpg

Then it was back to the exhausts, trimmed to length I  positioned the ducting over the opening like so:

P1010924_zpssnmytg8l.jpg

Then marked up with pencil I got ready to remove the surplus material with my mini motor tool and a burr:

P1010925_zpszqvgvx9d.jpg

That was then finished off with these rifflers and a glaze of Humbrol liquid poly:

P1010926_zpsszjncqst.jpg

I was about to glue that in place but thought I had better check the externals again first. It turns out there are these meshed areas which need dealing with before fitment of the duct:

In fact there are lots of holes, lights and what not which need instating so I marked them up in pencil:

P1010927_zpsrwvnz0j0.jpg

I started on the first pair of grills by stitch drilling with a 0.5mm drill:

P1010928_zps1a5mbpz1.jpg

I also used my motor tool / burr combination to locally thin the fuselage skin:

P1010929_zpsussdvule.jpg

After bit more work with knife and files I had all three openings:

P1010930_zpskapkzuzz.jpg

I thinned the skin some more and came perilously close to making a hole right through:

P1010931_zpsvngw8993.jpg

But just got away with it:

P1010932_zpsxpd5j8ou.jpg

I'm sure any solvent based filler or CA would melt this film of plastic so backfilled it with water based PPP:

P1010933_zpszy320qgm.jpg

Next the openings needed to be meshed over, some of the plastic tea bag mesh supplied to me by @milktrip was ideal:

P1010934_zps6s8yhdya.jpg

P1010935_zpsiifzgbsy.jpg

Now the ducting could be fitted. I had assumed the plastic was styrene based but when solvent glues did not work with it I used CA (I now think it's most likely to be PVC):

P1010936_zps8huncdyk.jpg

I was pleased with the resulting "black hole" effect:

P1010937_zpsyryiey7n.jpg

That will be even more effective with a coat of matt black applied.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Good lord nigel, the accuracy police would have a field day ,comparing those pictures of your model and the 1/1 , nevertheless your doing a splendid job, fine attention to the most minor details, most impressive

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Nice work indeed Nigel,

However, I'd like to point out that the CH-46E had armor plating around the engines and the KV-107s didn't. So you should sand away these... Hope I don't spoil your dinner...

Greetings

• Like 1

I did consider removing the armour plating but decided it was not worth the the effort.

Your observation did not spoil my dinner which was a marinara pizza but I could not face just tomatoes so added a goodly amount of Mozzarella:

P1010940_zpsaxf2qutp.jpg

The first job of the day was to brush paint the grey on the cabin seat framing:

P1010938_zps4wcwgl0d.jpg

Next I added all the belts to the seating:

P1010939_zpsfh0fzvup.jpg

I was glad to get that done without mishap as I had no spares.

Next I tried to fit the pilots seat but they had always been a tight fit and some scraping off of paint was required:

P1010941_zpsyo9ln46f.jpg

Here's how they looked fitted along with the 2001 monolith in the corridor:

P1010942_zps78r6z8tq.jpg

Why they need one of those on board I'm not sure.

Next I added some more detailing to the winch using 0.2mm nickel silver rod for the bolts along with 0.4mm tube for the helical cam with spirals embossed using a scalpel blade:

P1010943_zpsfs9qznmw.jpg

On the instrument panel I had masked one of the blank gauges with a punched disk of tape to leave a circle of bare grey plastic:

P1010944_zps658ser7f.jpg

I then used one of my punch set to make a disc of the clear green film as supplied by Anil:

P1010945_zpswluro5ob.jpg

This is how that looked after the Gator Grip used to apply it had dried:

P1010948_zpszop3j0d8.jpg

I thought this was then a prudent time to apply the cabin roof / pilot blanking hole panel as it would provide a measure to the details added to the winch:

P1010946_zpsebhqz8gk.jpg

Please ignore the liquid poly fingerprint, it will not be visible on the finished model.

Here's how it looks from the underside:

P1010947_zpsgiij5whj.jpg

I have also applied the first of the the three heavy duty cables coming from this equipment box. most of the black paint I had applied flaked off even though I used metal primer but enough remained to make the task of retouching that much easier:

P1010949_zps4qc2yvh4.jpg

I can't add the other two cables until the floor has been assembled into the LHS fuselage half. There are still a few more jobs to do but fuselage closure is not too far away.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

On 4/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, Nigel Heath said:

I did not make an update yesterday as frankly I was busy doing other stuff but I am pleased to report that the paints I had ordered for this build arrived just two days after they had been ordered from the Scale Model Shop:

P1010877_zpsi8rafpb4.jpg

My go to EMA Plastic Weld was also getting a bit low so I got some more of that too. I also wanted to order some Humbrol LIquid Poly as that's getting a bit low as well but they were out of stock so I got the Tamiya Extra Thin which I haven't used before. The two jars of orange are an ordering mistake on my part, I already had a jar but wanted to get another just in case. Now I have a lifetime supply.

A thought oh master detailer, you may have noticed a bottle of the EMA plastic weld on my big bench when you stayed: I found out its nothing more than 99.9% methylene chloride aka Dichloromethane ( read the label on the back)  that the chaps at EMA buy in huge containers and rebottle... when you run out , keep the handy bottle get some direct:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dichloromethane-DCM-Methylene-Chloride-99-9-AR-grade-1L/292954073063?hash=item44356c67e7:g:41gAAOSwjedcXvjf

At £8.99 a litre it's way cheaper than the silly amount EMA charge for a few millimeters. millilitres Mind you if you really want value...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-LITRES-PURE-99-9-DICHLOROMETHANE-SOLVENT-METHYLENE-CHLORIDE-NEXT-DAY-DEL/264208384696?hash=item3d840c02b8:g:sswAAOSwGNFcb1B7

BTW its the mainstay of film, TV and architectural  model makers in the UK and used by no less than Adam Savage for the fine art of "greebling" albeit in a US rebranded and diluted form with some additives to stop Californians screaming "carcinogen, eek!" and locking themselves in their asbestos lined panic rooms...

Anil

• Like 5

Yup, not too far away from fuselage closure.

Today I used some of my Mike Grant "Cockpit Details" decals on the instruments as well as some oddments from the decal spares box and a bit of dry brushing to bring some life to the IP:

P1010950_zpscvynsh2z.jpg

I then fitted the IP and during the process of threading the instrument wires into their awaiting hole was somewhat upset to find that one of the foot rests had detached. A quick search found nothing so I made a new replacement:

P1010951_zpsax05fxbk.jpg

Here is a general view of the pretty much finished cockpit:

P1010953_zpsnmv6h8uy.jpg

The next jos were to fit the overhead instruments and apply a subtle Flory dark dirt wash to the cargo roller tracks and around the escape door:

P1010954_zpshxfjtjjx.jpg

Before I can close up the fuselage I do need to finish off all the through holes. There were a few more to sort out on the tail with their meshes as well:

P1010956_zpsr7sb8imw.jpg

Note the orientation of the mesh on each aperture which is in line with the reference photos.

Here is how all those looked from the outside:

P1010957_zpsebkv0qmv.jpg

Next I think I will fit the second bit of engine ducting and a light baffle to prevent any "see through" effects.

Bye for now peeps,

Nigel

• Like 3

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

You really are teasing us with not getting the fuselage halves joined together aren't you!

The cockpit looks great Nigel, as do the extra bits of mesh.

Now hurry up and get the bloody thing closed up :) 

Naw, he's just worried that when he does I'll sneak round and spray it some shiny metallic colour all over for making my eyes hurt...

• Haha 2

Now hurry up and get the bloody thing closed up

Patience my young Padawan, modelling is not a race, it is more a way of soaking up vast tracts of time in focused concentration and effort - I intend to lavish all the attention on this model that is deserves. I know there is a deadline looming but my plan is now to work on it every evening before the end of the GB in the hope of meeting the completion date. Wish me luck.

Here is how I marked up for and made the light baffle from some black - light absorbing card while being frugal with my materials:

P1010958_zpsayhyl4ep.jpg

I then fixed in place the second bit of engine ducting:

P1010959_zpsep0ou2i7.jpg

As expected, there was a bit of a clash between the two parts of ducting which was best dealt with using a coarse sanding stick:

P1010960_zpskev8bxce.jpg

After a bit of work things seam to fit together reasonably well:

P1010961_zpsjqzh0kc3.jpg

P1010962_zpspy11paxo.jpg

This raises another issue -  I am not happy with the way these slots have been blanked off and not given a nice radiused edge:

P1010963_zpsxap0ya1u.jpg

On the real machine these are clearly open and there is a bit of structure visible within:

boeing_vertol_ch-46_sea_knight_walkaroun

Well what does the detail of that structure look like, this photo gives the answer:

ch-46e_hmm-764_071_of_110.jpg

And it's yellow!! I think it is worth a bit of effort in creating this.

After some knife, file and sanding activity I felt I had created a more realistic set of slot openings on the pylon: 

P1010965_zps6edketlx.jpg

There are plenty more things to be investigated on the exterior before I close this bird up but hopefully that will happen in the next few days.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

looks good, nice change on the exhausts. No driveshaft added? (At least, that's what I think the aluminium/silver part is at the back of the exhaust, or I have the Mi-24 in mind, can be true too...)

Boeing-Vertol%2520CH113%2520Labrador%252