1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

Hey Nigel, haven't forgotten about the masks, the intriguing shapes and vague lines are a bit of challenge and of course whats on the canopy bears no resemblance to the real thing! I'm nearly there just need to adjust a few pieces and you'll have it back asap

Nigel’s masks

Cheers

Anil

• Like 2

Hi folks,

I am pleased to report that my new soldering iron bits arrived on Thursday:

P1010782_zpsnul17ntz.jpg

I got to work with the chunkiest of these using this set up to attach the front edge of the lower shelf using regular electronic lead free solder (MP circa 210C):

P1010784_zpsxvv2bkxt.jpg

I then completed the soldering of the side of the shelf using 145C melting point solder with my iron dialed down to 75% power level:

P1010785_zpsvxzlhiez.jpg

To add some detailing to the shelf I used my mitre box to cut off a length of 1 x 1.5mm Albion Alloys C channel:

P1010786_zpsirfcfdr5.jpg

The base of that was then tinned using 70C melting point cadmium solder and my iron at 50% power:

P1010787_zpsgcp9jl52.jpg

That was then soldered onto the shelf with this set up:

P1010788_zpsnc8idqjf.jpg

After some further clean up including a degrease in some cellulose thinners and drilling a 1.2mm hole the completed shelf was added using regular super glue at the back:

P1010789_zpsltga7huj.jpg

As a reminder this is what I was trying to reproduce:

boeing_vertol_ch-46_sea_knight_walkaroun

I think the next job will be to get the other shelves made and installed.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

After a dinner of chilli beef and lettuce wraps (from Gordon Ramsay's "Ultimate Cookery Course" recipe book) I have got a bit more done. The next shelf was fabricated much like the first with a combination of 0.5mm brass rod and sheet soldered on the underside with two different melting point solders:

P1010791_zpshm6wuxme.jpg

After a bit of clean up and installed it looked like this:

P1010793_zpscwmm79i7.jpg

I then made the intermediate shelf out of a scrap of 0.5mm card with a piece of 0.5mm L brass section on the underside:

P1010794_zpstlbs79sq.jpg

Here is that installed:

P1010795_zpserycdc9x.jpg

I have also sorted out the filler above the doorway ready for the new winch.

Next the fourth shelf made out a bit more of scrap 0.5mm card with some 0.5mm strip underneath:

P1010796_zpss59h16ak.jpg

I think there are two more shelves to add and then I will get on with the winch for which  have a few ideas.

I am also pleased to report that after a after a chat with @azureglo aka Anil tonight, he is well on the way to completing the canopy glazing and will hand deliver these to me next Bank Holiday Monday.

If you haven't guessed already I am having a lot of fun on this build - it's completely ridiculous.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 4

Yet more great work Nigel, by the looks of things the shelf rack is about complete.

It really does show how much you are enjoying this build by all the added details you are putting in to it, and I believe we are all enjoying watching your build take place, and learning a lot at the same time.

• Like 1

Modelling wise today has been entirely concerned with winch construction. I did however add a bit more detail to the bulkhead last night as well as trimming out a blank for the winch frame:

P1010797_zpsxeamtiud.jpg

With tin snips and a sanding stick that was shaped like so:

P1010798_zpsk8jmkkw9.jpg

Then folded to shape on my bending tool:

P1010799_zpsipubnixx.jpg

Next I made a start on the winch drum using a length of plastic tube and a 2.5mm punched out disc of card:

P1010800_zpsmmv1lb1k.jpg

With the other send capped off with another disc I then wrapped it with some tinned copper wire to represent the cable:

P1010801_zpsibarnzqd.jpg

Next I made a couple of shaped side pieces from some 0.4mm card based mainly on this reference picture:

ch-46e_hmm-764_100_of_110.jpg

With those added I glued in the drum and added the whole assembly to the bulkhead:

P1010802_zpsxliqbjav.jpg

The final part (for now) was to add a 1.6mm disc of card to represent the hub drive:

P1010803_zps4dqiumhf.jpg

There a few more parts to add but those are best done after painting I think.

I think the next job will be to add some equipment boxes to the shelves as per this reference photo:

ch-46e_hmm-764_088_of_110.jpg

But now I need to get a baked potato in the oven for my dinner.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Good point about all the wiring and plumbing. I think most of it has to be added after painting as it's typically a different colour from the general grey of the interior but some preparation such as drilling of holes needs to be done before then.

• Like 1

I think paint is still a way off, there are quite a few more things I need to sort before then. From the top of my head they are in no particular order:

Equipment boxes on the cabin shelves

Rudder pedals and foot rests

Cabin seats

Cabling and plumbing in the cabin

Cyclic controls

Joysticks

Wiring on the back of the IP

A bit more detailing on the cabin side wall

I am going to book the week after this one off from work and providing the weather doesn't tempt me to spend most of it out in the garden I would expect to be getting some paint on then.

• Like 3

OK, a little bit more done before bedtime. On to the equipment boxes I used a 0.4mm drill to drill three holes into some 2.5mm square rod but on the last hole the drill snapped,  fortunately it was well drilled through and after cutting of the section I was able to extract the broken bit:

P1010805_zpsdgz1nuwe.jpg

Those drills cost £1 each so those three holes have cost me 33p each. Actually it's not quite as bad as that as the broken drill stubs can still be usable.

Next another box was cut from some 1.5mm card:

P1010806_zpsq8kdwof9.jpg

That was added on top of some plastic C section so along with anther 2.5mm square box we have this:

P1010807_zpsaabc0pfr.jpg

That view does not really count of course, what matters is what it will look like when viewed from the side door where we have something like this:

P1010808_zpsku5mvvgy.jpg

I hope you all liked that.

Signing off for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I hope you all liked that.

I liked that :D 

Drill bits? Try these Nigel - or any of the 'Carbide Steel PCB CNC' types. The Baron put me onto them and not only are they strong but they 'bite' better than the ones with collars; and the collars don't get in the way!

• Like 3

Nice scratchbuild interior parts... With regards to some of the seats, I'm rather fond of paper, more easy to cut and fold, and when it is in place and formed, soak the surface in thin super glue , and and it is equally strong as PE. When you do this after cutting it roughly in shape, it can even be sanded then...

Soldering looks very good... sometimes a bit heavy on non visible sides. That can be avoided by applying some tin on the connecting surfaces before actually assembling them (pre-tinning the surfaces, the just add some flux, heat them and the connection is made)  

• Like 1