1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

I’ll stand a time at the back and won’t make much noise except for the occasional approving mutter.

That is much appreciated and you are most welcome on board.  🇯🇵

Ah, page 4 most excellent (I like you thought page three was going to go on forever).

Outstanding as usual Nigel, I think we'll celebrate this finish of this with another of my leg of lamb curries? I mean its still an ungodly, evil helicopter but like the others I've seen in your collection, it will be exquisite. Meanwhile a kit maker has finally come out with a 1/72 kit to mildly amuse you, granted the engine only has 53 parts (:rofl2:) but just right for quick build eh?

#

• Haha 2

53 parts for an engine? Sounds like they are skimping there somewhere. What about the pistons and their rings, crank shaft, and pushrods not to mention all the fasteners.  I needed 13 just for a tiny, barely functional  seat.

P.S. Another lamb curry sounds good.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Folks,

A bit more progress today, first I notched out the master rib so it would fit over the stringers:

P1010680_zpssce0w792.jpg

I then used this arrangement to mark out for the next rib:

P1010681_zpsgvoybfmn.jpg

Like the first rib, I left an excess of material on the inner side to provide support while I finessed the outer profile:

P1010682_zpsfs0wokfz.jpg

Here is the second rib, almost finished, just the notches to add:

P1010683_zpsawxaekzc.jpg

So that's two down, three more to go. I'll now go off and have my dinner of Hoisin marinated pork spare ribs and udon noodles.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I then used this arrangement to mark out for the next rib:

P1010683_zpsawxaekzc.jpg

So that's two down, three more to go. I'll now go off and have my dinner of Hoisin marinated pork spare ribs and udon noodles.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Aaargh, you're making my eyes hurt again!. Right shove this lot in a box and bring it down on Friday, I'll have it zipped up, Alcladed and up a bleeding pole with magnets before we go to dinner. Oh and bring one of the pork ribs down with if you want make friends with Howling Siamese. She's fond of Chinese , actually do her a Hoisin Hamster and she may even stop howling at you...

Anil

• Haha 2

Those ribs look excellent Nigel, and the marinated ones sound really nice too!

Thanks Guys, they were good, here are the hoisin marinated ones from last night with an extra helping of hoisin sauce alongside:

P1010684_zpskuwyxex1.jpg

Continuing with the ribs theme, today I got rib number three finished and installed:

P1010685_zpsqnwicvsd.jpg

The one marked with an M is the original master I am using to make the others.

On a bit of a roll I started to install rib number two, here's how it looked part way through the operation:

P1010686_zpsfikjwgml.jpg

And here it is fully fitted:

P1010687_zpsfdh4drbc.jpg

P1010688_zpsekgxuygw.jpg

Having slightly lost the will to live on the rib making front, I looked for another diversion, settling on the side door steps. These are ripe for improvement with a bit of added detail, I started with the semi-triangular webs at the end of each step, making the first one from a scrap of 0.25mm card, marking that with a dot to represent the master, and then made a second. Here they are stacked one on top of the other:

P1010689_zps5nx9wf9f.jpg

As a reminder, here is that they should look like in reality:

ch-46_24_of_29.jpg

Web adding in progress:

P1010690_zpsmhcq2wtr.jpg

Here are all four done:

P1010691_zps1zsil45u.jpg

They can be finessed a little later once the glue has fully hardened.

That was a lot of fun and I now feel back to being enthused enough to tackle more of the ribs (tomorrow). I am taking this week off work to hopefully crack on with this build so expect daily updates going forward.

Until tomorrow, bye,

Nigel

• Like 7

Well, it is the morning now and I have got some more done. For the lower side door I profiled a section of 1 x 1mm Evergreen strip for the side reinforcement:

P1010694_zps4ieexofh.jpg

I know the real thing is a section of hollow metal U section with loads of lightning holes but you also have to know when to stop.

I then added a 1mm square strip for the other side, a tapered strip of 0.7mm card along the bottom and then looked out a length of ExtraTech brass etched strip from my PE spares box:

P1010695_zpswn8fpzev.jpg

It is slightly beaten up but still useable I think.

That was then added along with some 0.5mm ribs:

P1010696_zpscox6p80q.jpg

I know they look a bit asymmetrical but then so is the real thing, check out the photo references.

I might call it a day for tonight but I think the next task is to find a suitable piece of PE for the door release handle. I'm sure I have something suitable somewhere....

Bye for now,

(and don't have nightmares, I never do).

Nigel

• Like 4

Today I have been mainly working more on the side door. Looking through my PE spares box I found a suitable candidate for the yellow release handle:

P1010697_zps7v5419yz.jpg

This was my arrangement for getting it soldered to some 0.5mm brass rod:

P1010698_zps2ehay6lt.jpg

I think in these cases it is best to drill right through the door for the handle attachment, the blemish on the outside can be dealt with later:

P1010699_zpsdsxzjeog.jpg

But before adding the handle I added a piece of random PE and lengths of 0.3mm rod to make up a representation of the handle mechanism:

P1010701_zpsdoilo0hd.jpg

To make the cover for the mechanism I found another suitable candidate piece of surplus PE:

P1010702_zps16ze7wzn.jpg

Bent to shape and trimmed I had my cover:

P1010703_zpsxrd24i3c.jpg

Added along with the handle, here's how it all looked:

P1010704_zpsbha0kcjo.jpg

P1010705_zpscdmd0xv1.jpg

I think I'll call that complete for now - 19 parts added to detail that, back to making the last two fuselage ribs.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Thanks Guys,

After posting the above I realised I has missed off the bent bar from the door so rectified that using some 0.4mm rod:

P1010706_zpsmpb8csqs.jpg

The best solution for dealing with the pip resulting from the handle installation was to grind it off with my motor tool taking care not to cause too much heating:

P1010707_zpsiik7ttoy.jpg

The slight resulting crater could then simply be dealt with by an application of filler:

P1010708_zpsy3lbua2b.jpg

Then it was back to rib manufacture, starting on number 4:

P1010709_zpszhuhvbt4.jpg

Any scraps of card get saved of course, when they are big enough I like to mark them up with the thickness for ease of retrieval at some later date:

P1010710_zpsnajlxl2t.jpg

Here is rib number four nearing completion with pretty much just the stringer notches to add:

P1010712_zpsn7shlja5.jpg

Tomorrow I should finish all the ribs and get them installed. With a bit of luck, paint may start to be applied before the end of the week.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Well, it's nearly tomorrow and I have actually got all the ribs finished. Rib number five was a bit different from the others as it didn't require the notches for the window stringers as I hadn't bothered to add those as we are starting to get into the hidden depths of the cabin and I'm sure not much will be visible:

P1010713_zps1t7jkv4t.jpg

So here we have rib numbers one, four and five installed:

P1010714_zpspxwhg3iv.jpg

From a rearward looking perspective:

P1010715_zps34mqzufc.jpg

And here is how it looks with the floor in place:

P1010716_zpswxmog4qx.jpg

Hmm, not sure what to work on next, that escape door clearly needs some detailing adding (if only I could find a decent photo) and there are still the rudder pedals....

Bye for now peeps,

Nigel

• Like 7

The plate with the ribs was just 270mm in diameter. 850mm would have been huge.

I have not got that much done today as I was mainly out in the garden enjoying the lovely sunshine reading and doing paperwork. I did however look again at the kit supplied cabin benches and find them less convincing than ever. They block the emergency escape door for starters:

P1010717_zpslnde1xq9.jpg

I think I will consign them to the spares box and make some scratch built alternatives.

P1010718_zpsdpy6h4a7.jpg

I do have three intact PE seat backs left over from my Flying Banana build with could be pressed into service:

P1010726_zpsoj6qhi72.jpg

Or maybe I could just make them all from brass rod and lead foil, I will have a ponder.

I started to add a bit of detail to the side door opening with strip and a scrap of 0.7mm card:

P1010719_zps65iykl3i.jpg

The idea is that this kind of mates with the first rib on the opposite side of the fuselage:

P1010720_zpsbsoxpe9h.jpg

This was the main image I used for this area:

ch-46e_hmm-764_099_of_110.jpg

I am working towards this providing the mounting for the tracking for the upper door. I'm not sure how to create this yet but I have had some ideas involving flattened lead wire. Still a work in progress.

I also added a length of 1mm square strip to the door aperture to even things up a bit:

P1010725_zpscybu0hvd.jpg

From the photo of the cockpit bulkhead posted earlier I added these two strips of ExtraTech "Structural Elements" to represent the riveted strips seen there:

P1010721_zpscptvkrye.jpg

Here they are finished along with two electrical boxes made from 0.5mm strip:

P1010724_zpswtoso9bx.jpg

Tomorrow I want to sort out the cabin floor and maybe get those rudder pedals made.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice Nigel, these extra little bits all add up to a great looking model

I agree, craic apart, most impressive, 72nd too 

• Like 2