1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

Great work on the cockpit bulkhead and doorway Nigel.

God knows what Hobby Boss were thinking when they moulded those awful starts on the cockpit bulkhead but with an apparent complete lack of photos anywhere in the world of that part of any CH-46/KV-107 variant perhaps they know something we don't!

Don't blame you not filling those sink holes that will be invisible, life is just too short.

Keep up the excellent work mate.

• Thanks 1

Just wonder as you also have the old Airfix kit. Is it possible to fit the rear "gondolas" from the Airfix kit and put them on the HB kit and build an Swedish Hkp 4?

Sheers / André

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Unfortunately my Airfix version of this kit is in deep storage in Scotland so I can't provide you with a definitive answer but I suspect with some  clever jiggery pokery it would be possible.

Hi Folks,

The first of my after market goodies arrived today, this is the one from the USA:

P1010637_zpsocdk60i6.jpg

It is intended for a different kit but hopefully will be useful.

I have got some more done this afternoon but not on the rudder pedals. I think they might be a bit exposed and prone to damage so I'm going to leave them for a little later in the build. Instead I decided to tackle the little fold down seat by the cabin door entrance. Here is what it looks like:

boeing_vertol_ch-46_sea_knight_walkaroun

My starting point, as is often the case, was to draw a dimensioned sketch:

P1010629_zpszwdkfu63.jpg

I first made the seat frame using some 0.5mm brass rod, soldered like this:

P1010630_zpskgtzchh2.jpg

I have a cunning plan to make this seat a working feature and to that end I got these items of my kindly neighbours, the top of a tin of tuna and an old fridge magnet:

P1010631_zps4z9qlrhj.jpg

I then marked out a development of the seat cover on the tin lid, aligning my work with the lay on the metal resulting from it being cold rolled using ground rollers. Then I started to drill out the corners using a 1.1mm drill and making a note of the front edge of the seat:

P1010632_zpsr2vbvrfl.jpg

With all the holes drilled I started to open out the corner ones with a file:

P1010633_zpsrimavwni.jpg

I then used tin snips to cut away the bulk of the waste material:

P1010634_zpsruldsng2.jpg

Cleaned up with sanding sticks I got it to this stage:

P1010635_zpsfpm9ootq.jpg

I then tried to bend up the leaves using this arrangement:

P1010636_zpssghml2wk.jpg

Unfortunately one of the bends wasn't quite right and after a few repeated attempts I felt it start to crack. I soldered it but knew I was on a sticky wicket. At the end of the day I had this:

P1010638_zpspvoys5te.jpg

I do however have a cunning back up plan which means much of my work today will not be wasted. More on that tomorrow.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 6

Well it is tomorrow now and I've not let this rest. The first part of my back up plan was to temporarily glue a square of lead foil to the flattened seat. Being frugal I used the lead foil left over from the doorway cut out from the bulkhead padding after removing the pen marks:

P1010639_zpsaan154l0.jpg

I do not like to waste materials and that lead foil is expensive stuff.

Next I trimmed most of the surplus foil using the steel tinplate part as a cutting guide

P1010640_zps9xmrs889.jpg

After trimming and working on the steel part I soldered it onto the frame using low melting point cadmium solder so as not to disturb the existing joints:

P1010641_zpstk57rmm7.jpg

I then made a custom  tool from some of the surplus tin plate and filed back the outer profile of the lead sheet part until it was a good match with the seat base:

P1010642_zpsz7hzuclz.jpg

The lead foil cover was then superglued on to the seat:

P1010643_zps7nqtzd7j.jpg

After a bit of trimming I was able to wrap the cover around the seat and secure with some extra thin superglue:

P1010645_zpsfekqgsbz.jpg

Doing a test I found that the little bit of ferromagnetic steel in the seat was more than capable of holding onto the little fridge magnet:

P1010644_zpsmo8ziaiu.jpg

This bodes well for the next phase to come for this dinky working feature.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

Thanks Guys,

I started off fresh this morning making the first of the hinges for the seat by soldering some 0.7mm tube to some more 0.5mm rod. Inserting the 0.5mm aluminium tube in the 0.7mm tube prevents solder wicking into and filling the tube (which it would do):

P1010646_zpslhdmljkz.jpg

I then made the other hinge and glued that in place in the outboard position:

P1010647_zpsinngnir9.jpg

Next I got some 0.4mm aluminium tube, flattened one end and after curving that into a hook shape wrapped it round the front seat bar: 

P1010648_zps4xafyt5d.jpg

The other part of the telescoping support strut was made from 0.6mm aluminium tube, one end flattened shaped and drilled through with a 0.2mm drill to make the other hinge point:

P1010649_zpsc4omjluq.jpg

The other side of that hinge was made from some more 0.6mm tube, drilled through again and then sawn through with my JLC saw. Here is that glued in place before a final trimming on the underside:

P1010650_zps1u6psug4.jpg

With the thicker tube trimmed to length I assembled the strut (it was a bit reluctant at first but after some finessing worked quite smoothly):

P1010651_zps9odsbjdv.jpg

Now I could test fit the entire assembly with a scrap of 0.2mm nickel silver rod as a temporary bottom hinge pin:

P1010652_zpspouzigjp.jpg

It all works rather well, here it is in the dropped position:

P1010653_zps4g6p5mcp.jpg

P1010654_zpswyhg2fdi.jpg

And here raised:

P1010655_zpsydipekus.jpg

There was enough friction in the mechanism that the magnet was not really required but I fitted it anyway  (it's one of those rubber magnets so was easily cut with scissors and scalpel):

P1010656_zpswg8utjfj.jpg

Here it is disassembled, all thirteen parts if you count the magnet:

P1010657_zpsc3xc5wll.jpg

That was a lot of fun and very satisfying. Now I think I'll have a look at the pilot's seats as Winnie and milktrip have pointed out that this machine should have bars rather than the webs as seen on armour plated US versions.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

I have got a bit more done before stopping for dinner. The webs on the seats are somewhat asymmetric and overdone so removing them is no bad thing:

P1010658_zpsersapbmt.jpg

Here they are with the webs removed and bars added using some 0.5mm plastic rod:

P1010659_zpsgbjzuo6t.jpg

I temporarily put them in the cockpit for added interest. Now to make dinner which will be baked sea bream with wilted oriental vegetables.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

I wonder what metallurgical machinations will occur on this build?

Well Pete, we have had the steel lid off a tin of tuna, some cadmium solder, silver based solder, brass and aluminium bits, lead foil, rubber "Winnie the Pooh" magnets and the night is still yet young. I didn't think it would be long before my soldering iron came out. No euphemism there, honest.

• Haha 4

Stunning seat Nigel, just stunning.

14 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

… thirteen parts if you count the magnet

… but if you're superstitious, don't count the magnet :) 

• Haha 1

Hi Folks,

I haven't had much time at my bench today  as like Rick I have been making some bread and doing a spot of shopping. The first news is that I have found a photo of the cockpit wall where some chap has done the decent thing and crawled into the footwell to take this:

ch-46e_hmm-764_084_of_110.jpg

OK it does not show much but there is at least a little electrical box which I can add.

Back to the seat I realised I had missed off a little collar on the strut so I added that using a strip of Bare-Metal foil wrapped round:

P1010661_zpstslau5hu.jpg

I have also added a chunky electrical cable to the equipment box using some 0.42mm lead wire:

P1010662_zpssrzh49gh.jpg

To clear the magnet and hinge pin I had to cut away some of the mounting tabs:

P1010663_zpsz9jw7ydx.jpg

Snipping of the instrument panel (with ugly gates which will be a pain to deal with) I noticed these four random pips - are the supposed to be there or are they just defects? I can't see them in any reference photos but then I haven't found a good photo of this area:

P1010664_zpsg14xph7d.jpg

Next I cut out a 0.5mm card roof panel to close off the gaping hole into the front pylon, at least it was an easy shape:

P1010665_zpsuy0muqwv.jpg

My plan is to just have the side door open with the cargo ramp closed so I do need to add a bit of detail in the front of the cabin. First I made a card template using the cabin wall as a guide:

P1010666_zpscnmjer4q.jpg

I then used that to cut a rib from some 0.7mm card, I left some extra material on the inside to keep it rigid while I finessed the outer edge:

P1010667_zpsjanrz6hk.jpg

Here is the finished rib:

P1010668_zps3lz6krlr.jpg

I will use that in turn as a template to make a few others..

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 5

Yes, so a bit more done tonight. There is an emergency exit door at this location and I wanted something to represent it on the inside of the fuselage. I had this part left over from my Osprey build which looked pretty much ideal:

P1010669_zpskqr8ovpk.jpg

It just needed trimming down a bit:

P1010670_zpsek5flkkm.jpg

Here it is installed:

P1010671_zps1cjjwiyb.jpg

Now I could start to install the longerons which need to be in place before I can fit the ribs:

P1010672_zpsipepgrwj.jpg

Well that was a lot of fun, I hope you enjoyed it too.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Well that was a lot of fun, I hope you enjoyed it too.

I certainly did!

Great way to represent the inside of the emergency door Nigel, very convincing.

Those longerons look perfectly placed,  all bodes very well for when you add the ribs Nigel.

• Like 1

You are too kind sir.

I actually finished all the longerons last night so this it how it all looks now:

P1010674_zpsynnmcmxf.jpg

I now have to notch out the first rib to finish it as a template for the rest.

Sleep well and don't have nightmares,

Nigel

• Like 6

Blimey I’ve only just latched on to this. Lots of Nigel Niceness happening already.

Sorry I’m late. I’ll stand a time the back and won’t make much noise except for the occasional approving mutter.

Trevor the late

• Like 1