1/72 Hobby Boss CH-46E/F SeaKnight in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

šŸ˜³ wow! Detail detail detail! Great idea to swage using a ball point pen; Very effective.

Ā 

ditto regarding the GB. Cheers Craig. A helicopter I know very littleĀ about and hadnā€™t considered building. Thoroughly enjoying my build too.

Ā 

P.S. What did you use to cut those holes in the brass?

Ā 

cheers

Aaron

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Ā 

Thanks for the offer, I have a set of vinyl masks on order (not forĀ this make of kit though) so hopefully I will be OK.

Ā 

Ā 

IĀ  could offer you recipes for beef Madras or Thai style beef curry. Both of which I have cooked and awarded 10/10. How does one of them sound?

Thai beef curry please.

15 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

My that was a lot of fun, I am really enjoying this build - thanks to modelling minion for getting it going.

You are more than welcome Nigel, and I am really glad that you are enjoying your build so much, probably nearly as much as we are all enjoying watching your excellent build come together.

• Like 1

Ā wow! Detail detail detail!

Ā 

You ain't seen nothing yet kid. I hope little Lucy is doing well. Possibly not quite so little now...

Ā 

Bit late, sorry! I'll grab a seat at the back and watch intently...

Ā 

Pete has taken up most of the front row but there are plenty of seats further back. Welcome along.

Ā 

You are more than welcome Nigel, and I am really glad that you are enjoying your build so much, probably nearly as much as we are all enjoying watching your excellent build come together.

Ā 

Most kind Sir.

Ā 

Thai beef curry please.

Ā 

OK Anil, here you go. This recipe is from the ever reliable Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, page 145 in my copy. I have cooked this a couple of times (exactly nine years apart to the day as it happens), here is the recipe:

Ā 

P1010586_zpsdq9cvswx.jpg

Ā 

You can use my additional rambling notes as you please.

Ā 

This is what it's supposed to look like:

Ā 

P1010587_zps0hvju5jt.jpg

Ā 

It was seriously delicious. Best of luck with it.

Ā 

Bye for now,

Ā 

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2019 at 1:16 AM, Nigel Heath said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

OK Anil, here you go. This recipe is from the ever reliable Good Housekeeping Cookery Book, page 145 in my copy. I have cooked this a couple of times (exactly nine years apart to the day as it happens), here is the recipe:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

You can use my additional rambling notes as you please.

Ā 

Ā 

Nigel

Went with a homemade paste that was a variant of the spices I used in the lamb curry for you and used flat rice noodle as I'm a Pho junkie- nice, very nice got a lovely sweetness in the sirloin coming throughĀ ( was bit heavy handed in tossing in a green chillies garnishĀ at the end though). thank you.Ā  Whirly wingy thing looks good, nice tip in using the ball point, been making squiggles in brass sheet all day long for a possible Jodorowsky style Dune skiff...hmmm engraved panels....

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 9:26 AM, Nigel Heath said:

Another gripe I have is those bench seats in the cabin.

Ā 

I see scratch built cabin seating in my future.

Not completely fiction. The CH-46 and CH-113 had some bench seating that were boxes, but I don't believe there were more than 2 on each side. Good stowage inside boxes....

• Like 2

Not completely fiction. The CH-46 and CH-113 had some bench seating that were boxes, but I don't believe there were more than 2 on each side. Good stowage inside boxes....

Ā 

Interesting, do you have any pictures?

Hi Folks,

Ā 

I have got a bit more done tonight. The first thing I decided to tackle was the extension of the centre console to take it to where the apex of the ramp will be. Using my JLC saw and mitre box I cut off a 2mm length from some 1.5 x 2.5mm strip:

Ā 

P1010592_zps5u7jkzoy.jpg

Ā 

Here it is installed along with a rectangle of 0.6mm card to make up the correct floor levels:

Ā 

P1010593_zpsrxywxtvg.jpg

Ā 

On the real machine there is a cover plate with two parallelĀ swages on the console extension:

Ā 

ch-46e_hmm-764_076_of_110.jpg

Ā 

I thought a bit of scrap PE would answer the requirement and I found that the numbering tabs on some of my Eduard PE frames were just right:

Ā 

P1010594_zpsfmj7azhn.jpg

Ā 

I used my sculpting tool to make the impressionsĀ on the underside surface:

Ā 

P1010595_zps2pqmxjoy.jpg

Ā 

I was just about to glue it on when I hadĀ one of those Nigey brainwaves - what if I could find a numbered tab with 11 on it? I could then use the etched numerals as an embossing guide and the thinner metal would make the swages crisper. Another rummage through myĀ PE spares box soon turned up a suitable candidate:

Ā 

P1010596_zpswawd2xme.jpg

Ā 

The result was indeed a much crisper result than my first efforts:

Ā 

P1010597_zpsbnngfhet.jpg

Ā 

Here it is installed:

Ā 

P1010598_zpswrmmwqxy.jpg

Ā 

I know the proportions don't quite match with reality but the kit is not terribly accurate in this area and I'm just working with what I've been given.

Ā 

The final job was it install a strip of 0.5mm plastic to give the ramp - yet to be made - something to rest on:

Ā 

P1010599_zpsityvhpfk.jpg

Ā 

I think I should be getting the bulkhead area installed tomorrow but I do need to try to find some better reference pictures to make sure I haven't missed anything too vital.

Ā 

Bye for now,

Ā 

Nigel

• Like 5

Looking for cockpit photos I found this:

Ā 

3558872018_52ee7ab0e4_z.jpg?zz=1

Ā 

Which I think is quite useful.

Ā 

Some detailed areas for the corridor side wall:

Ā 

maw_ch-46e_004.jpg

Ā 

Overhead controls:

Ā 

maw_ch-46e_005.jpg

Ā 

maw_ch-46e_006.jpg

Ā 

Rudder pedals and foot rests:

Ā 

maw_ch-46e_009t.jpg

Ā 

Note cut out in seat cushion:

Ā 

37160_1216279986.jpg

Ā 

Useful more overhead view of the cockpit:

Ā 

spaceout.gifhttp://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

More seat cushions with cut outs:

Ā 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScyDmaQvDWV3GlsxBHfpO

Ā 

Still nothing useful on the cockpit bulkhead though. Rats.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

maw_ch-46e_006.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

I think the button for Radio 4 is definitely in the wrong place in this shot, dude you don't want your boys accidentally getting an earful of Taylor Swift on final approach....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I started to add some detail to the right hand corridor side wall using the photo posted above as my main reference source. First I drilled out some 0.3mm holes using one of the carbide drills purchased at Telford for the first time, ready to receive some 0.23 lead wire:

Ā 

P1010604_zpsy9ncpw4t.jpg

Ā 

Before adding the wire I added some Archer resing rivets - more of a gesture really than being totally accurate:

Ā 

P1010605_zpsyqdwx0gf.jpg

Ā 

Now I could add the wires:

Ā 

P1010606_zps6jstewld.jpg

Ā 

Here they are nearly finished apart from trimming:

Ā 

P1010607_zpsdverwybq.jpg

Ā 

I used extra thin superglue for that which also helped secure the rivets which don't adhere very well to bare plastic. Some did start to come adrift but they are going nowhere now.

Ā 

I then added a few more details using strip and card:

Ā 

P1010608_zps4jmp4y1d.jpg

Ā 

Having been unable to find a photo of the front of the bulkhead I am forced into using detail from another kit, here is a photo pinched from Antoine's build thread which I used:Ā 

Ā 

seakni27.jpg&key=3befffef878b7b1f837bbc7

Ā 

I don't like using kits as references but unfortunately have no apparent choice here. My idea to replicate the bulkhead padding was to use some lead foil, I started to cut it out like so:

Ā 

P1010609_zpsmoxbeuvb.jpg

Ā 

Having filled and sanded all the kit stars I used my Olfa P cutter to scribe where the angle of the bulkhead changed as well as drawing the creasing on the liberated piece of lead foil:

Ā 

P1010610_zpsdtajsfmt.jpg

Ā 

I then used my spatula tool to create the creases in earnest:

Ā 

P1010611_zpsqw2f1nvt.jpg

Ā 

Thinking superglue would be too unforgiving I used Gator Grip to glue the foil onto the bulkhead:

Ā 

P1010612_zps6mokhenv.jpg

Ā 

Once it was in place I did reinforce it with extra thin superglue around the edges. I then embossed the crease into the scribes I made earlier, then after trimming the periphery and folding the foil into the doorway here is the finished item:

Ā 

P1010614_zpssfndbqwx.jpg

Ā 

Now I could glue the bulkhead parts onto the main floor:

Ā 

P1010615_zpsb8eddtky.jpg

Ā 

That was fun, hopefully I might get some more done later but now I have to go off and get my lamb and bean braise underway for dinner.

Ā 

Bye for now,

Ā 

Nigel

• Like 5

With the bulkheads in place I could now add the connecting ramp made from a parallelogramĀ shaped piece of 0.6mm card:

Ā 

P1010616_zpscttprla1.jpg

Ā 

I also added this little semi rectangular piece of 1mm card to bring the mounting points for the collective controls up to the same height:

Ā 

P1010617_zpsmc2tqig4.jpg

Ā 

Next I carved out the little triangular box that sits at the top of the ramp from some 2.5mm square rod:

Ā 

P1010618_zps0nn70ew6.jpg

Ā 

Here it is added:

Ā 

P1010619_zpshkse9aiy.jpg

Ā 

Then I filled some of the ejector marks on the fuselage sides:

Ā 

P1010620_zps680unabk.jpg

Ā 

There is noĀ point attending to the ones on the right hand side as I'm sure that side will be essentially invisible.

Ā 

I think the next thing should be the rudder pedals and foot rests but that's a job for next weekend.

Ā 

Bye for now,

Ā 

Nigel

• Like 8