AMT / ERTL Caterpillar D8H

Hi Everyone, I thought I would share my latest project with you all. This kit was found by my father when he was clearing space in the loft at my parents house. It was a kit I started as a young teenager although I have no memory of doing so.

47206082662_b3477688ba_b.jpg

It’s a kit I have never seen anywhere else and may have been quite old at the time I bought it back in the eighties. The box is in pretty good shape just a bit dented and dried out. Let’s take a look at what’s inside.

40293157563_4f7e7dd5ef_b.jpg

Well, it looks like I gave it a pretty good start. Lots of yellow plastic and partially assembled. The main body and a large portion of the dozer blade have been assembled. The main sections have been painted in gloss yellow (not very well 😞 ) although it does like some kind of spray paint was used. It may have been aerosol paint since I did not have an airbrush back then, also the paint appears quite thick in places. Next step is to audit what we have.

40293141303_b57778c597_b.jpg

Most of the sprues have very few parts on since the assembly was quite advanced. One track was missing from the box but in the meantime Dad found another box in the loft that had the missing track sprue in it!! The paint finish is really poor so I need to think about how to rescue it.

33382158078_edaa83fd0c_b.jpg

The main sub assemblies are ok although it seems the glued sections on some of the larger pieces have really dried out and the whole thing feels a bit brittle and fragile. The engine block has been weathered and I think can be further improved. 

The decal sheet is present and uncut but feels really dry and hard so not sure if they will still work, any suggestions on how to work with really old decals much appreciated.

So all in all a really fun project and internet images show these machines from pristine yellow to abandoned and rusty so plenty of options on paint finish. I’m really looking forward to this project as a change from my recent batch of tanks and AFV’s. Any advice on how to paint the metal dozer blade most welcome. 

Thanks for looking 🙂

• Like 6

I used to have one of the same boxing bought about 1986 from the recesses of a south Bristol hardware and hobby shop! I built it a few years later and don't remember any problems with the basic build. 

one word of warning: the 'transfers', if like mine, are peel-off self-adhesive stickers! No idea what state yours are in, but I don't think a bath of water would do them any good ...

PS. Have a close look at the 'decals' - if they are peel-off, there should be a plastic film over the whole sheet with the die-cut demarcations around each item clearly visible, with a margin of a millimetre or two. 

Edited by Lothian man

Lucky you. I believe this is the same kit that appeared in a Matchbox er, box.

I lusted over it way back when but never got one. It was probably over one pound!

You might try leaving it in the freezer for about 48 hours, then plunge into hot (not quite boiling) water.

This should cause the dry cement to give up the ghost and it may well dismantle itself. Repeat as necessary.

The paint is probably enamel and will give way to brake fluid, although this usually makes the plastic brittle.

You can obtain replacement decals here:  http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_144&products_id=788

I have used their decals to re-do several of the old AMT/Ertl truck kits in alternative livery and find their service very reliable.

Chris

Hi . I remember this kit when I was a kid in the 1980’ s . If you are not too bothered about a top notch paint job , leaving it rough wouldn’t be out of place . It’s a bulldozer after all . I drive a Cat D6 dozer at work , with swivelling and tilting blade . It’s on wide tracks and is a doddle to drive . Couldn’t imagine driving one without a cab though. Proper men in those days !!!

Gary . 

• Like 1