Airfix 1/72nd B-26 D-Day Scheme

This kit may have been the Queen in the 70's ,but she is a beast to assemble. Fights at every component attachment and seam that defied eliminating.

GxKeWiP.jpg

PYN up decals had a set of marking with nose art on both Port & starboard..who can resist

Starboard

Jr0Abqs.jpg

Port Markings

NeRxvjD.jpg

The Scheme was premised on OD being removed to show natural metal below. I tried doing this with chipping solution on the OD. I used Alclad for lower natural metal and Vallejo Air for OD.

sk6PxSG.jpg

I wonder how many D-Day models will be accomplished before I am dizzy from Stripes.

HVYfoIN.jpg

Next project is FW 190 in Pips Priller markings and then back to stripes with a Horse and a Waco.

Thanks for Looking

Comments are always welcome 

Cheers

Bill

• Like 41

Hi Bill,

yes, this Marauder was the nec plus ultra of the Airfix range when it came out...

I do remember a box full to the brim, like an Easter egg of old. Time is a great eraser, because I really thought it had a super fit! 

Despite the crummy fit, your model looks smashing, and I love the nose art!

Congrats!

JR

Nice result Bill, despite the problems. I can remember getting this kit as soon as it came out and it was the bee knees back then.

I like your treatment of the olive drab with subtle fading. Perhaps could have done with a matt varnish coat or two?

Cheers

Malcolm

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

Nice result Bill, despite the problems. I can remember getting this kit as soon as it came out and it was the bee knees back then.

I like your treatment of the olive drab with subtle fading. Perhaps could have done with a matt varnish coat or two?

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks All

The Photo lights make it look Glossy as It is really quite Flat on the OD..I do like my silver shiney though.

Thanks for Comments

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1

I loved building mine the only real issue I had was the engine necklace when it attached to the wing, very gappy. Everything else was fine, but then it was a much older moulding so maybe that’s part of the issue for newer boxing’s? Had the same issue with the Airfix Catalina.

really nice subject love a bit of pin up nose art, especially on a 26!  You appeared to have wrestled yours into great health

Rob

Thank you all for the positive feedback. There was a bunch of stuff for the insides but most was not even used unless you wanted bomb bays opened. After finishing that would have saved me a bunch of seam work in those areas. 

Used the S.A.C. Metal landing gear and cockpit parts really helped with the nose balance. Barely sits on nose wheel.Barely is all you need.

Cheers

Bill

Wow. What a job of an old kit. Builds really well. Really like the paint finish. :clap:

Are they the the original clear parts, they look incredible for a kit of that age?

Thank You All for the Compliments.

The Clear parts are a mixture of Vac-form and original. Nose-Piece and side windows are kit, Canopy and Rear turret and Tail Gun Cover are Vacs.

Cheers

Bill

• Like 1