16 Sqn Tornado 'Black Pig' anniversary GR1

Matt P

Intending to paint the 1/72 Revell GR1 in 16 Sqn 75th Anniversary black  colour(s). However nowhere can I find any mention of things like wheel well colours on this aircraft.  All the many photos I can find don't show the main gear wells or nose wheel in any detail,so.........

Were they light grey like the rest f the GR1 fleet or did they spray them black when the painted the special scheme?

Thank you in advance 

As undercarriage bays are full of moving parts crucial to the safe operation of a plane, I would bet they were very carefully avoided. Add to this stuff like colour coded piping and connectors that would be made „illegible“, and besides, in some air arms at least, u/c bays are deliberately a light colour to make for easy spotting of leakages.

cool thanks guys👍 Just had a minor complication in that the dog has just eaten the front windscreen. had it before it hit the floor the little b*********d!

I know on Phantoms when they got repainted whilst I was at St Athan at the end of their major servicing the U/C was retracted before painting commenced. I can only think that the same thing would have happened here.

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

cool thanks guys👍 Just had a minor complication in that the dog has just eaten the front windscreen. had it before it hit the floor the little b*********d!

Just wait for it to pass through the sanitation system😇

16 hours ago, chris57 said:

Just wait for it to pass through the sanitation system😇

Hmm, I bit too chewed for that methinks.  Annoyingly nobody offers a replacement canopy for the Revell or other 1/72 Tornado either, so a new kit is needed. Oh well plenty of spare s I suppose.

just ordered a Pavla vacform canopy (designed for Italeri kits) so we'll see how that goes

Edited by Matt P