READY! Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes

Hi!

I'm starting to build the classic Classic 😆 Airframes kit of Electronic Warfare Canberra. IMHO most brutally looking Canberra version.

I will use: 

-Kit (more than 10 years in my stash)

-Loon replacement wingtip tanks (resin)

-Eduard interior etch set intended for Airfix B.20 kit

-ResKit wheels (resin)-looks waaay better than in-box resin - compare the pictures below...

The start is trivial - assembling the 1kg of resin interior parts and building the fuselage halves.

Thanks for looking

00.jpg

00b.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice start!!

Is that an ICM -111 ?

Hi!

Thank You!

It's Monogram-111, must complete before buying the ICM one 😉

• Haha 1

Looks a challenging kit. Can I ask, what's wrong with the kits wingtip tanks? I can certainly see the improvement in the ResKit wheels.

11 minutes ago, Filler said:

Looks a challenging kit. Can I ask, what's wrong with the kits wingtip tanks? I can certainly see the improvement in the ResKit wheels.

Hi!

Compare the size of the tanks...

008.jpg

• Like 2

I see, so they're massively undersized. I hope beyond the wheels and those tanks that the rest of the kit is good. I'll be keeping an interested eye on your progress. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Off to a good start! I've started mt CA T,17 too but she's back in the hanger for now. The tanks in all the CA Canberra's kits are wrong The Airfix ones are quite good though. I hope you find my web site of use, any questions just ask!

John

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I hope you find my web site of use, any questions just ask!

Thanks to Your great reference photos I started to scratch build EW operator position!

Disclaimer: I am not a big scratch builder, but I'll try to reproduce main assemblies and general appearance of the cockpit.

I built the main boxes assembly...

011.jpg

...and checked the general arrangement in the cockpit

013.jpg

014.jpg

010.jpg

I ordered also two additional seats (Pavla) to add them in the aft cabinet - if they are not precise, anyway not much will be seen through three small windows after the assembly 😢

• Like 2

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - start with interior assembly and some sctatchbuilding

Hi, comrades!

EW officer office assembled, cockpit painted, highlighted and weathered. Yes, I know, it looks to colorful. But this panel will be hardly seen in dark cockpit in about 15 degrees angle through the pilot canopy.

020.jpg

023.jpg

Wheel wells painted, weathered and installed. Looks to much dirty? Landing light added.

019.jpg

025.jpg

018.jpg

Main parts of wings assembled, forward parts of engine gondolas dry fitted - what I can say? This old kit after all fits better than many recent mainstream kits. Wing to fuselage joint also looks good!

024.jpg

022.jpg

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 11

Hi comrades!

Forward parts of nacelles altered in accordance to reference photos - looks like in-box version intended for different modification of the engines, so I filled all the vents and scribed new ones. 

Aft parts of nacelles were thinned. Forward and aft part installed on the wings.

031.jpg

032.jpg

Next will be some scribing on the wings, signal lights and drop tank installation.

• Like 2

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - need help with wings panel lines, but interior almost finished 19/03/2019

Hi comrades!

The interior (minus ejection seats) almost finished with help of Eduard brass for Airfix kit and spare decals. Fire extinguisher built from sprue, lead weight added. Now I'm wait to the glue curing and mailman with the parcel from Hannants (third seat...)

034.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

047.jpg

047.jpg

And now to the problem: I have three different drawings of the Canberra (Warpaint, On Target and Aviation and Time Ukrainian magazine). The wing panel arrangement is different between different sources and differs from the model. I can't find any informative reference photo of the prototype WD955 (or any other T.17). Any ideas how to rescribe the lines? Or just ignore it and continue to build? Thanks for advice!

033.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

046.jpg

• Like 4

It's all looking good! There isn't one set of accurate Canberra plans anywhere! The problem is that apart from the outline shape every Canberra Mk is different in some detail or another so to do an accurate set of plans would involve one of each Mk at least, and quite possibly multiples of some.  Any way. back to T.17, the wings are very much stock B.2 with just a few mods, these drawings are from repaire AP. I have the tail plane drawings on my site and ruder. Tail plains and things 

ByDA8Y.jpg

ByDuOp.jpg

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

the wings are very much stock B.2 with just a few mods

Thank You so much!

Great! It looks like the kit wings are OK, differences only in access panels!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You so much!

Great! It looks like the kit wings are OK, differences only in access panels!

Yes CA are quite good, they have even got the panels right on the bomb bay doors for the T,17, wich is wrong for other Mk though. 

John

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 10:11 PM, Lord Riot said:

Don't forget nose weights. Around 5kg should do it! 😂

Seriously I put about 120g in my PR9.

Hello all,

I built the CA Canberra B.2 and put 250 grams of lead inside... Most of the bullets had to be placed in "the forward electronics bay area" (behind the navigators compartment). For a Airfix Tp52 conversion much less was needed thanks to a longer nose.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Antti_K said:

Hello all,

I built the CA Canberra B.2 and put 250 grams of lead inside... Most of the bullets had to be placed in "the forward electronics bay area" (behind the navigators compartment). For a Airfix Tp52 conversion much less was needed thanks to a longer nose.

Cheers,

Antti

That's the secret Antti, get it as far forward as you can, which is much easier with a modified nose as you point out.

John 

• Like 1

Slow progress.

Small windows installed, fuselage interior mostly finished - just need to get the third ejection seat (waiting to mail call 😢)

Wings scribed, additional intakes added.

Nothing much to do, so I'll start to fight with the chassis - and add some tubing 

053.jpg

054.jpg

055.jpg

057.jpg

• Like 5

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - wings assembled and rescribed, interior almost finished 21/03/2019