READY! Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes

Hi comrades!

I decided to paint the national insignia and the biggest stencils. It's painful decision, but now I'm independent of the decal flows.

So, first time ever in my model builder practice I bought and used the pink paint 😜

133.jpg
134.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - Lady in pink, insignia painting 11/05/2019
2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

How come you chose to handpaint them? Are the decals poor quality? 

The decision "to paint or not to paint" depends on number of factors:

-surface under the decal. Sometimes decals intended to be placed on complicated surfaces and I prefer not to trust on decal softening chemistry. The best conforming decals IMHO are Eduard, but on every complicated surface (example - extreme nose and shark teeth design) I prefer to made masks and paint.

-decals themselves: OOB decals in my kit are about 15 years old, have some color displacement and I don't like their pink color. And they have errors.

-masks availability and complexity- the two color roundels are simple to produce with circular knife. I always cut myself the hinomarus, and use aftermarket masks for stars and swastika.

-Generally, IMHO, I try not to use big decals.

Sure, its only my personal experience and recommendations. But painting instead of decals worth a try

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Hi comrades!

I decided to paint the national insignia and the biggest stencils. It's painful decision, but now I'm independent of the decal flows.

So, first time ever in my model builder practice I bought and used the pink paint 😜

133.jpg
134.jpg

Thanks for looking

What size are the roundels on the wing? They should be the same as the fuselage size.

John

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

What size are the roundels on the wing?

Hi!

I planned to just copy the size from decals

135.jpg

The wings roundels are of diameter 44mm (pink-22mm) and fuselage of diameter 19mm (pink-9mm)

Is it looks true?

8 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Hi!

I planned to just copy the size from decals

135.jpg

The wings roundels are of diameter 44mm (pink-22mm) and fuselage of diameter 19mm (pink-9mm)

Is it looks true?

That's what I suspected, they are wrong! They should be the small size all round.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

That's what I suspected, they are wrong! They should be the small size all round.

Wow!

Thanks a lot! So, I need to make six roundel masks of Fuselage size? 

And Placement is true? (I will place smaller roundels in the centers of wrong ones on the wings)

136.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

That's wrong too.

So, where I must place the roundels up and bottom? I found some pictures of PR9 with small roundels - is it appropriate roundel placement?

zzz-best.jpg

Edited by cema_ga
  • Like 3

It's a great subject, looking forward to seeing the finished model. 

I always thought it strange that the combat role for these Canberras was always listed as 'visual maritime reconnaissance'. Why not jamming Soviet electronic comms!? Or maybe it was ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!

@canberra kid, @Lord Riot You saved me from major mistake!!!!

And the last question: somebody have the Airfix Canberra PR9 decals in 1/48? Can You, please, measure diameter of small roundels - decal #32 (total and the inner-pink part)? 

zzz-best.jpg

8 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’m always loved the Canberras

Thank You!

When I was kid, I built Novo kit of Canberra...Now - some nostalgia and little bit more modelling skills 😉

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

When I was kid, I built Novo kit of Canberra...Now - some nostalgia and little bit more modelling skills 😉

Yes, I built the same Novo kit back in 90s - it was a very good kit! ☺️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

I've measured the roundels and I get them to, 19mm total with the pink part being 9mm, the fin flash is 6x6 mm with a thin white outline,

Great!

Thank you so much!

On CA decals the diameters are OK, fin flash has the white outline (but also bonus - colors are slightly misplaced). All the stencils I will use from aftermarket decals (in CA only big ones included) 

• Like 1

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - Lady in pink, insignia painting 12/05/2019

Hi comrades!

National insignia and walkways painted

142.jpg

Red tail pre-shaded and painted. Now Canberra looks surrealistic

143.jpg

145.jpg

And finally, everything masked and camo pre-shading done

146.jpg

150.jpg

147.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

• cema_ga changed the title to Canberra T.17 1/48 Classic Airframes - Psychodelic stages over, ready for camouflaging 16/05/2019