Meng panther D

Joss

Hi guys been working on this panther and was looking for a little help.

If I got the wrong area I'll delete and move.

Basically it's a panther on the eastern front, I've started weathering the wheels and tracks with heavy mud but need some pointers.

Here's what I've got.

IMG_20190301_231331

IMG_20190301_231344IMG_20190301_231351

IMG_20190301_231421IMG_20190301_231446

I need to do the top run and maybe abit of wear down to metal around the inner wheel rims and the drive sprocket tips.

Just wanted some thoughts on how to weather the top.

Any help would be great and appreciate!

Joss

• Like 2

For the running gear. I use a selection of mig enamel products. Mig heavy mud, then pigments. At lest 3 different tones. Apply it as heavy or as light as you want. Fix it with Tamiya XF 20A. If you want some metal showing on drive sprocket tips just use a dark steel type pigment. An get some good ref photos to help you.

Don’t know if this is any use to you but hope it helps.

19 hours ago, Rangerboy83 said:

For the running gear. I use a selection of mig enamel products. Mig heavy mud, then pigments. At lest 3 different tones. Apply it as heavy or as light as you want. Fix it with Tamiya XF 20A. If you want some metal showing on drive sprocket tips just use a dark steel type pigment. An get some good ref photos to help you.

Don’t know if this is any use to you but hope it helps.

Thanks rangerboy that video has been a great help it has given me some ideas! I have the mig wet track effect set and abltuing mud oils and pigments so will try and get a variation on colours. Thanks again 

Joss

18 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

I think the tracks look fine as is. Don't do anything more to them in my opinion

Hi jack thanks I happy with what I've got but I think it just needs a little more of something but can't quite put my finger on it but I've got an idea. Watch this space

Thanks

Joss

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right I've made more progress I hope!

I've added to the top run of the tracks and mixed in extra oil colours to give some variation then I added static grass.

Not 100% on it, might work some more mud blend the grass more.

IMG_20190311_230401

IMG_20190311_230416

IMG_20190311_230459

Any comments and suggestions very welcome

Joss

• Like 1

When you look at pictures of muddy Panthers you usually see a lot of dirt around the center area of the inner wheels, more than on the outer wheels, but these need a mus treatment as well. The tracks usually have a lot caked into the profile, less so on the ridges and consider the inside as well, as the road wheels usually squeeze out much of it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

Maybe spread mud around the whole road wheel since it would have rolled thru the mud and not just have the mud on the bottom of the road wheel?

Thanks I see what you mean, the wheel detail is nice and I was reluctant to cover it but for the sack of realism I shall!

8 hours ago, Soeren said:

When you look at pictures of muddy Panthers you usually see a lot of dirt around the center area of the inner wheels, more than on the outer wheels, but these need a mus treatment as well. The tracks usually have a lot caked into the profile, less so on the ridges and consider the inside as well, as the road wheels usually squeeze out much of it.

That makes sense I've had a look at some pictures and as you say more mud on the inner wheel. When you say inside do you mean more or less there I tried to do it thicker to show it oozing out? 

I would suggest the everything that moves could have less. Centrifugal force and contact surfaces usually tend to have less. The wheels seem to be more muddy in the center section and less when getting to the rim for instance.