Italeri F-104 G/S Starfighter 1:32 in real aluminum skin (foil)

Starting build using real aluminum foil skin, a daunting task that is testing the full limit of my patience and love for modelling 😕

I am including actual images of the F-104 for detailing. Will add updates as i go along. 

I am experimenting with two thicknesses of foil, a heavy duty foil and a thinner foil. The heavy duty foil has a brighter shine to it. I will try using a stain to see if i can tarnish it for the afterburners, or maybe even heat it red hot before applying...

fArN5zD.jpg

A11KNQz.jpg4MfeL1v.jpg

TJlfuVe.jpg

0Fu9PTB.jpg

VxyFRlf.jpg

Wv7OQDn.jpgActual pilot seat of the CF-104>3yK8XIP.jpg

KRgQJZ6.jpg 

Actual cockpit of the CF104 >KKmhqCt.jpgDpJV9WW.jpg

OUmG8CR.jpgiEbUr05.jpgLJne4RZ.jpgiVZJUIX.jpgoHwywV8.jpgpHJvP96.jpg

op777UQ.jpg

Chuck Yeager Dec 4th, 1963, the week before i was born at Trenton AirForce base in Canada :)

a6DXM9k.jpg

Just in passing I saw this fan based image. :) 

xtF8xBZ.jpg

recent video of Xbox One game release of Ace Combat 7 featuring the F-104 that is a flyable aircraft in the flight sim, which is so friggin mind blowing and amazing to play.

For you die-hard fans like me, of the F-104 here is some really bizarre flight sim amusement: Ace Combat 7 opening scene YouTube video for Xbox one, PS4, and PC game release Feb 2019

Edited by HogsTeeth
  • Like 3

Pilot Spurs were worn by F-104 pilots. Below is a video of an F-104 pilot doing a walk around of the F-104 and talking about how they would wear these spurs.

3v8fcXj.jpg9eMfcPM.jpg

Edited by HogsTeeth
  • Like 2

@HogsTeeth, Hi.

That foil work is looking good, from what I can see, and worth all the effort. 

I see a pot of glue there so I'm guessing it's plain Ali foil you're using. 

Like a heavy duty kitchen foil type?? 

Definitely worth boiling some pieces with eggshell for darkening and tarnished look. 

I was sceptical too, until I tried it one morning after eating an egg. 

It's remarkable! 

For airframe coverage I use the sticky back self adhesive foil that builders use to join insulation sheets etc. 

But your glue method is going well. 

Brilliant photo references there too... 👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
Spelins
  • Like 1

ah great tip! Thanks. Will try that. I know some are going to frown on some of my work that is rather crap, but i am enjoying the learning process.... the hard way. Honestly i see modelling as an art form that has many values both for the observer and those who enjoy it. As a recovered alcoholic, i just want to say that, doing things that are constructive behavior is best thing to replace destructive behavior. Modelling is therapeutic for me, a sorta meditative thing that is relaxing and energizing.

GY5k2pr.jpg

• Like 3

One thing i noticed is that if i did not brush out the glue ridges, they would show later, but i am not going to redo it.... again.... ha. So when you are brushing out about 2 drops of glue(Micro Metal Foil Adhesive), i just keep softly brushing it out over and over, quickly, for about 5 minutes, and as it drys you will gradually see the glue ridges disappear to a smooth even surface, until you can no longer brush it at all. 

oEilNBl.jpg

GYMMPvn.jpg

i0Ttmzr.jpgeXKGBOm.jpg

• Like 2

Hi!

Well, its a Starfighter and so it's my attention ;). One question: you've clearly expended a lot of thought energy and effort getting that foil on and looking great and yet you've adopted an unusual shade of green for the seat. Why?  

Martin

• Like 1

ya i buy it at the local grocery store, 25' Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil. Its the long box one. But perhaps different brands produce it differently, with various results. You can also buy it in small sheets of 4X6 inches at most hobby shops, for $10 per sheet, cough, maybe for contrast panels later... 😕 

b6q8QGo.jpg

Edited by HogsTeeth
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...