Takom King tiger Porsche turret question?

RT Nevada

Hello all, I have a quick question(s) that I’m having trouble finding a solid definitive answer online with. I have a takom king tiger with a Porsche turret without the zimmerit, and my question is can this kit be built as an initial production king tiger? I know the first 50 or so KT’s had Porsche turrets as the other Krupp turrets weren’t ready yet, but I believe those with the Porsche turrets had the zimmerit applied to them? Basically what I’m trying to figure out is if I can build this kit out of the box as the initial production version or should I try and track down some after market zimmerit for a takom kit to apply to make this one of the first 50 that had zimmerit. I usually am not an extreme rivet counter and don’t beat myself up too much of my models are not 100% historically correct, but do like having them as close as possible that my skill level will allow. Thanks for reading and hope to hear some answers!

Edited by RT Nevada

From what I've seen discussed in the past, your Porsche options are:

1.) Two prototypes produced without zimm, but would necessitate back dating the kit.  Not believed to have been sent into combat.

2.) Production version with zimm.

regards,

Jack

2 hours ago, JackG said:

From what I've seen discussed in the past, your Porsche options are:

1.) Two prototypes produced without zimm, but would necessitate back dating the kit.  Not believed to have been sent into combat.

2.) Production version with zimm.

regards,

Jack

Looks like I’ll be searching for some aftermarket zimmerit then. Thanks for the reply!

Backdating it would not be THAT hard, hobby easy usually have instructions to have a look at.

Just try and find Takom initial Tiger, and add the differences.

Off the top of my head:

- exhaust guards

- multipart tracks

- no AA ring

- thin loaders hatch ( in kit already)

- pistol port on left side of turret

Edited by Bozothenutter

2 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Backdating it would not be THAT hard, hobby easy usually have instructions to have a look at.

Just try and find Takom initial Tiger, and add the differences.

Off the top of my head:

- exhaust guards

- multipart tracks

- no AA ring

- thin loaders hatch ( in kit already)

- pistol port on left side of turret

The more I look into that the more daunting of a task it becomes haha. I think there’s a few things I’d have to scratch build like flat front fenders instead of the curved ones. With the exhaust guards I could probably get away with using tiger I parts? The kit I have comes with the interior and I think the interior between the prototype and the production were quite a bit different? 

1 hour ago, RT Nevada said:

From what I’ve researched yes, but I’m not 100% sure.

I believe a number of examples did not have zimm. It's difficult to tell from existing photos, it's more apparent in some, whilst appearing absent in others.

3 hours ago, Stealthman said:

I believe a number of examples did not have zimm. It's difficult to tell from existing photos, it's more apparent in some, whilst appearing absent in others.

I’ve found one picture that looks like it doesn’t have zimmerit, do you have any others? 

1B005D26-44F5-49B3-9FBD-430156F86835

its hard to tell in in this photo exactly but it looks zimmeritless?

18 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

I’ve found one picture that looks like it doesn’t have zimmerit, do you have any others? 

its hard to tell in in this photo exactly but it looks zimmeritless?

Its zimmerless. I just googled King Tiger Porsche Turret - there are numerous pics, some of which appear to show zimm, others don't. I don't know if zimm was applied in the field or at point of production?

18 hours ago, RT Nevada said:

its hard to tell in in this photo exactly but it looks 

4 hours ago, Stealthman said:

Its zimmerless. I just googled King Tiger Porsche Turret - there are numerous pics, some of which appear to show zimm, others don't. I don't know if zimm was applied in the field or at point of production?

Hmm, maybe I’ll just build it zimmeritless and claim artistic freedom haha

Tiger no.11 is a well photographed subject, it was one of five Porsche designs assigned to 316th Funklenk panzerkompanie for the Normandy campaign.  Can't explain why the above posted photo appears to be without zimm, but other photos definitely have it:

Tiger_2_tank_porsche_turret_11_with_zimm

fkl316_n_11_abandonned_by_crew_chateaudu

0178e266565a575d7b6334ffd957bd87.jpg

7456ac6ba81e4f64baa4d67a1ad41032.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

7 hours ago, JackG said:

Tiger no.11 is a well photographed subject, it was one of five Porsche designs assigned to 316th Funklenk panzerkompanie for the Normandy campaign.  Can't explain why the above posted photo appears to be without zimm, but other photos definitely have it:

regards,

Jack

Definitely clear in those pictures. Other than backdating the kit I’ll just have to track down some aftermarket zimmerit. I believe I’ve seen Eduard does a set for this kit it’s just on the more expensive side, but the cost of beauty is high I’ve heard haha. I wish I would’ve read the box a little bit more before buying this kit but the excitement of my first king tiger kit took over haha

• 4 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:10 AM, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

Could it be a trick of the light? Strange that the zimm is readily apparent in other pics....the white painted number seems more prominent in the zimm pics, possibly because the zimm actually creates a darker background.

Edit. I am a fool, I thought I'd built Takom kit, But was actually Meng. Please forgive the mistake

I Just Built the Meng kit, but the no interior version. Its in the Tiger group build.

All the accompanying artwork shows Zimm, but the kit is zimm less.

A major flaw with the kit really. I had a hershel turret Zimm set, which was handy for the Hull (a bit off), but Left the turret zimm less

I know its not accurate, but I didn't have time to DIY it, and finish the group build in time.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by diases
Being Stupid

• 2 years later...

Is it ok to resurrect a VERY old thread rather than start a new topic? I have tried to search for my question throughout the forum…

I’m building a KT with initial rounded turret (trying to refrain from calling it Porsche turret - but that’s the one I mean).

I understand only 50 were built…

can anyone point me in the direction of researching these 50. Where can I find some references regarding turret numbers and camo patterns? 

When I build, I like the tank to be of a real vehicle…

Thanks for any links.

503rd heavy tank battalion received 24 of the Porsche.   They were allocated to the first and third companies. so turret numbers would begin with either 1 or 3 respectively.  Likely set up was four vehicles per platoon.

https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14031

https://www.track-link.com/forums/research_ww2/29316/flat

• Thanks 1