F-14D to F-14B

horrido109

Good day all,

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I did search the site and cannot find the answers I'm looking for. I want to build a 1/48 F-14B, using the Tamiya kit. For this purpose I bought their stunning D model. I'm calling on all the experts on here to please kindly advise me on what to do in order to make an accurate B from the Tamiya D. The list of items I know is different between the two is:

1. Cockpit instrument panels. For this I am planning on using the Aires F-14B cockpit set.

2. Seats. I will be using the Quickboost F-14B seats.

3. Chin pod. Quickboost F-14B pod

I am not sure about the wheels, antennae, glove vanes and blisters specifically.

All help will be much appreciated

Victor

It was discussed not too long ago as part of this thread

Some of the differences didn't change but some smaller details changed over time as the B got improved, so better choose the markings first and decide which modifications are actually required

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

It was discussed not too long ago as part of this thread

Some of the differences didn't change but some smaller details changed over time as the B got improved, so better choose the markings first and decide which modifications are actually required

I found your reply very helpful. However, it doesn't mention the glove vanes. Did the B model have these removed like the D? And also, did the B and D use the same wheels? I am planning to build a late model VF-103 aircraft.

Thanks again

You'll need to source some ECM blisters for the wing glove area, Steel Beach do these in resin.

The wheels from the the D model are the same as the B. As for the antennae, all fleet F-14s had the GPS dome fitted from around 2000 so again, the antennae fit as shown for the D model would be the same for the B.

The cockpit area is the trickiest, but if you can get the Aires 'pit to work you should be fine, but note that most Bs had the square PTID screen fitted to the rear cockpit.

The wing glove vanes on the B were locked shut and removed entirely on the D model (which allowed the ECM equipment that was in the 'blisters' on the B to be moved internally, hence why the D model does not have them)

As Giorgio said, you're best picking your airframe and studying it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

You'll need to source some ECM blisters for the wing glove area, Steel Beach do these in resin.

The wheels from the the D model are the same as the B. As for the antennae, all fleet F-14s had the GPS dome fitted from around 2000 so again, the antennae fit as shown for the D model would be the same for the B.

The cockpit area is the trickiest, but if you can get the Aires 'pit to work you should be fine, but note that most Bs had the square PTID screen fitted to the rear cockpit.

The wing glove vanes on the B were locked shut and removed entirely on the D model (which allowed the ECM equipment that was in the 'blisters' on the B to be moved internally, hence why the D model does not have them)

As Giorgio said, you're best picking your airframe and studying it.  

Awesome info! Thanks Dave

A lot of the B's had the glove vanes filled in after they were locked. To get the best information on what aircraft you want to depicted, you gotta look at the pictures. Everything Dave and Giorgio stated is totally correct, as they have listed what you need. You still gotta look at the pictures though. What a/c and timeframe are you looking at?

I bookmarked this one a long time ago. It shows the external differences between the marks, and covers things like blisters and antennae. Nice annotated photos, too.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2