Bell AH-1J Seacobra, HMA-369, `Pistol Pete`

Hi Everyone,

Just managed to finish the first of my haul from Telford last November

JlcquqN.jpg

Fujimi`s 1/48 AH-1J Seacobra

ZwUvARR.jpg

Finished in the markings of US Marines HMA-369, nicknamed `The Pistol Pete`s` during the Vietnam War and later `The Gunfighters`

k3rTSj0.jpg

Had a pleasant surprise when I looked in the box as the kit was miles ahead of their AH-1G kit that I built some years ago.....

2Y64OuU.jpg

...but not so good when I started to build it as I discovered the kit had no nose ! ( no jokes about ` how does it smell ?` please )🙂

nDyJG7c.jpg

So had to scratch build one from plastic sheet and car body filler, I also extended the intake walls backwards a bit as the kit ones ended at the mouth of the intake

u4amSEE.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 24

Very nice indeed Russ, a worthy addition to your Vietnam collection.

A fancy doing one of the ones used in the ship-borne attacks on North Vietnam in 1972, but I've only got one kit as they are hard to find and I want to build it as an Iranian aircraft.

Very well done mate.

• Like 2

Sweet build of a fairly basic kit Russ. Helicopters always seem to be the poor relations in the modelling world but we could do with a more modern tooling of the earlier AH-1 series.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

Now there's one you don't see that often. This is supposed to be a MARHUK Cobra Russ? What did you do to extend the exhausts, I've got like 5 of these stashed up.

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, whiskey said:

Now there's one you don't see that often. This is supposed to be a MARHUK Cobra Russ? What did you do to extend the exhausts, I've got like 5 of these stashed up.

Hi Zack, I don`t really know if the markings are actually from the Vietnam time frame ( they`re the kit ones, I couldn`t find any aftermarket decals ) but it would be a MARHUK if they are, as that`s the mission flown when they were out there, I read. I didn`t extend the exhausts, just the inside wall of the intakes with some thick polystyrene sheet which I then filed to match the rest of the fuselage contours.

Cheers Russ