This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Kitkruncher

James May's Big Trouble In Model Britain - 9pm - 6th March on BBC Four

Posted (edited)

Just a quick heads up on this programme in case you've not already picked up on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00030wh

Amongst other things it features me building the Airfix 1/24 Hellcat for unveiling at Telford - though I whole heartedly reject any notion that I am in any way a "master modeller" as the hyperbole suggests!   Modelling content aside it should provide an interesting and light hearted insight into the recent fortunes of the Hornby Group which you may feel is worth a look. The second part is on the following week.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by Kitkruncher
change title

Posted (edited)

Thought you might like a heads up to a programme on BBC 4 tonight. James May at Hornby. Part 1 of 2. Don't think it's been on before?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00030wh

Sorry, I originally posted this in chat so didn't see the post above. Apologies to the mods.

Edited by keithjs

Saw the guys doing the filming of the Hellcat reveal at the Airfix stand at Telford so will be interesting to see what they show and what if anything they say about Hornby as a company. If this programme makes Hornby's future look bleak we might all be stocking up on Airfix kits by the end of the show.

BBC4 at 9pm tonight, James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain.

A two parter that may well be interesting to folk here.

Posted (edited)

Watching my recording of it now. Enjoying  it greatly.

Just watching the unveiling.

Can I have your autograph Jim? 👍🤩

Edited by noelh

An entertaining programme. Modellers were portrayed as a bit obsessional, but likeable. Like real life in fact.

I personally didn't like the "we're all on the spectrum" comment, which I think is unfair to all, but I was amused by the idea that we can't form relationships with women.

Overall it seemed a positive message about Hornby, suggesting there was now a management team who knew what they were doing.

I didn’t pay much attention to the commentary as I was too busy trying to see if I appeared in any of the shots from SMW.

I now don’t know if I should be happy or sad that I failed to spot myself. 🙂 Maybe I wasn’t there at all, and spending several hundred pounds was just a bad dream.

More likely, as I was one of the first to turn away in disappointment at the announcement of the Hellcat I was edited out as not portraying the image of a modeller the show’s producers wanted to show. (I fit all the others)🤓🤪

....great to see you and the Hailsham guys and some models on the telly Jim !

JimHellcat.jpg

Missed this yesterday but thanks for the heads up Jim. I'm halfway through on i-Player - work beckons... But really enjoying it so far.

James May's slightly sardonic commentary - whilst gently affectionate & enthusiastic is well suited I think - although others might disagree.  The visit to Jim's model club was possibly predictable, but still made me laugh out loud "for some reason our cameraman missed the other table full of young women..."  :whistle:

Rich

Just watched this on my computer, good programme, it was quite funny when James May mentioned about blurring the youngsters face at the front of the Airfix unveiling, so they can get a girlfriend later on in life, made me chuckle

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kev67 said:

Just watched this on my computer, good programme, it was quite funny when James May mentioned about blurring the youngsters face at the front of the Airfix unveiling, so they can get a girlfriend later on in life, made me chuckle

Yes, really enjoyed it too. Can't say I recognised any of you at Telford.. .I'm sure some of you did tho.. Thought the ruse to get the Hellcat into the centre was good too....5000 pre orders in the first month! Is that what he said? And no doubt a good (free) advert to the event as a whole. Look forward to next week.

Edited by keithjs

Thanks to all for the positive comments on this. It was a fun show to be involved with and, I think, was respectful in its approach to modelling whilst giving us a mild but good hearted ribbing. Hopefully the thing that most stands out is the sense that Hornby now has a clear direction and a management team who understand the business and are committed to putting it back on its feet. If I've been able to contribute to that in some small way then I'm happy.  Oh, and our cat Safia is accepting offers of further screen work!

Keep the faith

Cheers now

Jim

Good programme, and for a fleeting second I was on a crowd shot at Telford. Just unlucky I guess as I hardly left our stand on the Saturday.

41 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Good programme, and for a fleeting second I was on a crowd shot at Telford. Just unlucky I guess as I hardly left our stand on the Saturday.

Bang goes your chance of getting a girlfriend in later life then.

Well-balanced presentation: affectionate while gently sardonic and confirming Joe Public's perception that we are all a bunch of mostly overweight grey middle-aged male obsessives.

The shock for me was appreciating the scale of the vandalism by the previous owners, neatly summarised by the guy running the visitor centre in a string of (bleeped-out) expletives.  Was it 4000 patterns (mainly for Hornby rail stuff, I believe) sent for scrap?  I felt for the patternmaker obliged to throw his own moulds into the skip.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

The shock for me was appreciating the scale of the vandalism by the previous owners, neatly summarised by the guy running the visitor centre in a string of (bleeped-out) expletives.  Was it 4000 patterns (mainly for Hornby rail stuff, I believe) sent for scrap?  I felt for the patternmaker obliged to throw his own moulds into the skip.

Cultural vandalism, nothing less.

If a torch-carrying, pitchfork-wielding mob had passed my door at that moment, I would have signed-up.

Best wishes to the `new` old regime, and good luck for the future.

Nice programme. :goodjob:

Ian

Edited by 4scourge7

25 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I must say that shocked me as well. I felt for the tool maker as well.

1 hour ago, Kitkruncher said:

Hopefully the thing that most stands out is the sense that Hornby now has a clear direction and a management team who understand the business and are committed to putting it back on its feet. If I've been able to contribute to that in some small way then I'm happy.  Oh, and our cat Safia is accepting offers of further screen work!

Keep the faith

Cheers now

Jim

Yes that did come across, and how bad the previous management was. 

Nice Hellcat BTW, not my cup of tea but looked impressive on the Airfix Stand. If they have sole out of the first run that has to be good news.

Julien

Watched it last night, thought it wasn't too bad. I did catch a glimpse of what I guess were either testshots or 3D prints of the new Buccaneer and MiG-17.

We'll see what part two brings next week.

Mike.

Enjoyed the program very much, and also appreciated the inside view of the company which was very frank and revealing at times. The humour was spot on, and I certainly identified with all of it. Besides, I don't mind James May pulling our chain. After all, he's one of us so the humour was just as much a send up of himself as it was the rest of us. 🙂

Was pretty shocked about the scrapping of the tools. Really felt sorry for the pattern maker...and Simon couldn't believe his ears. Wonder if any Airfix tools got dumped amongst that lot? That was my first question.

Anyhoo! Great program and looking forward to the next episode. Well done Jim for getting that Hellcat done in time (talk about pressure) and the sarnies didn't look half bad either!

Steve

I wish the camera work had a greater depth of field. It felt like nothing was in focus!

Jon

Quite enjoyed it. Felt like James May was sympathetic to us as modellers due to his own interests. Recognised the Edinburgh Model Shop and the owner's frustration at the chaotic Hornby supply situation. Looking forward to part 2.

Duncan B

Agree with fightersweep, May is one of us. In fact if anything his mildly acerbic style is typical of Britmodeller. 

The only downside of the show is that it highlights who we are. Older middle aged men who started modelling back in the sixties and seventies as kids when it was mainstream. We're still here but the next generation is missing. 

Which in a way is Hornby's problem. 

On the other hand out there in world model kits are still a younger person's hobby. 

12 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

I personally didn't like the "we're all on the spectrum" comment, which I think is unfair to all,

I'm not so sure. It's a conversation that frequently comes up at build nights and the general feeling amongst the assembled throng agrees with the statement.

I enjoyed the programme immensely, particularly the Airfix-centred parts. Well done indeed to Jim for his work on the Hellcat, though I still think a Corsair would have been a better choice. I had to disagree with the CEO, however, when he said that Airfix hadn't had any 'wow' products in the last few years. Hawker Typhoon anyone?

I thought James May's commentary was spot one, and the gentle ribbing was good natured. A few shots of the make and take table at SMW would have addressed the idea of only older guys being interested however. There are youthful modellers as well.